Cuomo talks of gun confiscation

ALBANY -- Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said Thursday that he plans to unveil a "full package" of gun-control proposals in his State of the State address on Jan. 9, following the tragic school shootings in Newtown, Conn.

The Democrat said he has had discussions with the leaders of the Republican-led state Senate and Democrat-controlled Assembly, but not about specific details. In a radio interview, he said the focus of his proposals "is assault weapons . . . and the accessibility of these guns." He even floated the possibility of confiscating assault weapons that are currently legal..

...................Cuomo acknowledged the state law has many loopholes. "In this state, the assault weapon ban has more holes than Swiss cheese," he said.

The governor, who owns a shotgun, added: "I don't think legitimate sportsmen are going to say I need an assault weapon to go hunting."

I guess I missed the point in American history where the King of England wanted to confiscate firearms so the colonist couldn't hunt anymore. The 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting.

• Like 2

ALBANY -- Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said Thursday that he plans to unveil a "full package" of gun-control proposals in his State of the State address on Jan. 9, following the tragic school shootings in Newtown, Conn.

The Democrat said he has had discussions with the leaders of the Republican-led state Senate and Democrat-controlled Assembly, but not about specific details. In a radio interview, he said the focus of his proposals "is assault weapons . . . and the accessibility of these guns." He even floated the possibility of confiscating assault weapons that are currently legal..

...................Cuomo acknowledged the state law has many loopholes. "In this state, the assault weapon ban has more holes than Swiss cheese," he said.

The governor, who owns a shotgun, added: "I don't think legitimate sportsmen are going to say I need an assault weapon to go hunting."

I guess I missed the point in American history where the King of England wanted to confiscate firearms so the colonist couldn't hunt anymore. The 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting.

hey Woof, lets see actual links to articles instead of what the Gov as you say floated as an idea. and you dont have to highlite democrat and republican in every sentence, we do know who is who and that Cuomo is a democrat. also dont rely on yer republican heros to save us on this one, they will do whatever they see as popular and what will get them the VOTES. just look at who they had running for president, uhhh whats his name, the guy who had D ratings from the NRA like forever and signed a 2004 massachusetts assault weapon ban and taxed gun owners and sportsman to death in his state and who said he is proud of his states tough GUN LAWS? Republicons and the NRA have already sold ya all out and you dont even know it????

It is going to be a battle, Royal. I don't think the Gov. Has any idea what he is getting into. Glad I sold all my guns last week.

I don't think so. There may be a stand-off here, and a barricaded shoot-out there, but for the most part people will simply hand them over. We're not really made of the same thing that we were back in colonial times. At least that 's the impression that I get. There's a lot of good talk, but when it comes down to laying our comfortable lifestyle on the line, and risking prison time or worse, realistically I doubt that we have that kind of resolve.

Now, there may be a few that will stash their guns in the wall, or under the floor-boards, but they will soon realize that the guns are of little value to them if they never get a chance to openly use them. What value is a $1200 gun that is kept in the wall?

Those that think the NYS populace will all of a sudden rise up and form some sort of armed insurrection, probably should think about that some more. If this sort of thing is going to be shut down, it will have to be through extreme legislative pressure, and the courts. There really is no other way.

For those that still think that it is acceptable to be unaffiliated or unsupportive of pro-gun organizations (NRA for instance), now is the time to pull your head out of that dark place and look around a bit and understand what is happening around you.

By the way, for those that think all this is just Cuomo's idle talk, and that it could never really happen, have another look at those Austrailian video clips that have been posted on this forum, only this time listen to the words .... lol.

• Like 2

hey Woof, lets see actual links to articles instead of what the Gov as you say floated as an idea. and you dont have to highlite democrat and republican in every sentence, we do know who is who and that Cuomo is a democrat. also dont rely on yer republican heros to save us on this one, they will do whatever they see as popular and what will get them the VOTES. just look at who they had running for president, uhhh whats his name, the guy who had D ratings from the NRA like forever and signed a 2004 massachusetts assault weapon ban and taxed gun owners and sportsman to death in his state and who said he is proud of his states tough GUN LAWS? Republicons and the NRA have already sold ya all out and you dont even know it????

Here is the original link:

http://www.newsday.com/elections/cuomo-to-unveil-gun-control-proposals-on-jan-9-1.4360822

I didn't hilight the Republican/Democrat words, It does that when you copy an article, it allows you to hyperlink to their definition I guess.

I don't expect any support from either the Democrat controlled NY State Assembly or the Democrat controlled NY State Senate. The Republicans lost control of the Senate this year and we can expect anything to pass both houses now.

• Like 1

take off your tinfoil hats people. the only thing that "might" come of this is them now banning the pre-ban 10+ round mags. And if they do, they're not coming to your door to collect them because there is no record of you owning one.

If they make them illegal to possess, they don't have to come to your door to collect them. And as far as what they might do, your guess is as good as mine. Nothing is really off the table. This latest deal at Newtown has created a great opportunity for the gun confiscators. They are giddy over the possibilities and are willing and eager to take maximum advantage. Hopefully the idea of checks and balances will be at work on this issue, but in this instant atmosphere of panic and hype and emotionality, nothing would surprise me.

• Like 1

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/cuomo-working-tougher-gun-laws-state-article-1.1224026

The threat is very real.

We all (gun owners) MUST all band together.

Or, we will all hang seperately at different times.

Saying "nobody needs an AR15....nobody needs 30 round magazines..." is very ignorant. Saying so, lowers you into the mentality of the liberals who want to dictate what you "should" or "could" have.

Get involved with NY state related Second Amendment organizations like SCOPE and NYSRPA. This threat in NY state is real, they try to pass these bills EVERY SINGLE year.....it is just that now they get traction because the democrats are exploiting a tragedy in CT.

Join and fight, fighting for your Second Amendment rights not a spectator sport.

Here is the original link:

http://www.newsday.c...jan-9-1.4360822

I didn't hilight the Republican/Democrat words, It does that when you copy an article, it allows you to hyperlink to their definition I guess.

I don't expect any support from either the Democrat controlled NY State Assembly or the Democrat controlled NY State Senate. The Republicans lost control of the Senate this year and we can expect anything to pass both houses now.

Sorry your right, its Cuomo gone wild!!! i do apologize but have been getting blown away with the mass delirium thats takin over this country and now NYS seems to be the epicenter....

Right now the NRA has memberships for $25, $10 off. I've been a Life member for many years,was a SCOPE member at one time.Lets stop them using the tools they fear the most ,votes,$, numbers.

Christmas is right around the corner a membership in the group of your choice makes a nice stocking stuffer .