woolys 2013 summer longshots..

wooly

Thought I'd start a little photo journal of the bucks I see pre-season while roaming the woods or sitting a stand in the evenings.

Photographic exellence isn't top priority here, so excuse the poor quality.... most of these will be loooooong shots from an observation stand, or poor light distant encounters in the timber.

I've already got trail cam vids of these first two bucks, but there's always something special about seeing them live on the hoof for the first time. This first guy is a little 3pt.

_CSC0993_zpsd2393274.jpg

Next up is his bachelor buddy 6pt.

_CSC0992_zps6bdbda68.jpg

And lastly, my first decent buck of the year from tonight at the corn field. I didn't get a real good look at him, but I think I may have pics of him from last year as well if that left antler is as palmated as it looks here.

I'll know more next time I see him. I'll try to get a trail cam hung in this area soon.

_CSC0004_zps3b905e4b.jpg

• Like 3

Things have been really slow lately from my evening observation stand, but I suspect that change is about to happen!

The corn shot up about 4ft overnight, and the tall grass in the green fields beside it was finally cut earlier this week.

I was beginning to wonder what the heck the hold-up was, but the wet weather seems to have set the farmer back a few weeks. Normally I can watch 20 different bucks a night with fireworks on the horizon by the 4'th of July!

Slowly but surely, they are starting to show themselves the way they're supposed to this time of year... I just wish they would come a little closer.

Things should start picking up some now....but I had to add a few TC pics from the area to hold me over.

_CSC0036_zps47f2bf07.jpg

PICT0001_zpseae498d9.jpg

PICT0006_zpscd6006f7.jpg

• Like 1

No action around the cams last night.
I did see 3 bucks on the far side of the field last night, but it was too dark and far for the Nikon to catch any rack detail. They looked like young ones. Had a couple does work across the field also, but for some reason, things are still pretty slow.

While checking the cams tonight, I saw this guy out beside the corn field, so I'm hoping he stops by one of the trail cams for a better look.
I set the new Moultrie at one of my favorite summer time water holes at the field corner tonight. Lots of sweet sign there, so fingers crossed for tomorrow! Man are the skeeters thick lately!

_CSC0225_zpsb7b16587.jpg

_CSC0219_zpsfa899566.jpg

• Like 1

Nice pics. The skeeters really are horrible this year they seem to be out all day long every day I can't stand it

Does it seem like they are getting bigger or is it just me?  I really hate parasites!!!  I am afraid to go into the woods for fear of being carried off by them...  lol

Nice pics!!!  67 days!!!  Not like I am counting or anything...

Not really sure what's growing out there ny hunter. That field just got cut... I know there used to be lots of clover out there, and the obvious corn field beside it, but new owners don't allow anyone in the fields anymore, so I have to shoot my pics from the woods edge property line where I have permission.

I'll get back up here tonight and see if there's any new bucks that step out. I'm running all my cams up here now, so hopefully I'll have some fresh pics up tonight.... if the skeeters and deer flies don't carry me away!

Time for a few more shots from my observation post last night.
Things started out pretty slow, but right about 7pm all heck broke loose along the field edge! I still got a mess of pics to load but I wanted to get a few outta the way for now.

It was pretty crazy.... almost like peak rut in mid July!
Bucks and does all chasing each other around the field 90mph like it was the 2'nd week of November. Eventually the farmer came through the field and put an end to all the fun before the sun went down.

Here's a few shots of that nice 9'er I've been getting pics of..... more pics on the way later on today

_CSC0039_zps749720f8.jpg

_CSC0047_zpsfefccc5d.jpg

_CSC0040_zpse040a78d.jpg

_CSC0048_zpsf699391f.jpg

• Like 3

Yesterday when I got out of work at 8pm I knew I should have checked the fields. I got into my car and the temp said 68 degrees. It's cooler again today ill have to go check the fields out. Greats pics Wooly, thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys!

Deerpassion- you know it's a great show to watch..... BYOB and snacks!

You're in Cheekta-Vegas right...?

Witty- hope you got to see the show as well!

I gotta admit, it was kinda chilly last night and I prefer 85-90 but I suffered through it,lol

Pav- anything that comes out of that field to the woods I'm set up in dies.

I have ZERO access to this field, but all the woodlands behind my camera are fair game.

Close to 1 1/2 miles as a crow flies.

ny hunter- glad you enjoyed! Nice thing about this picture stuff is I get to shoot them more than once!

• Like 1

Haha.., they ain't dead yet bkln, but I think I got it under control!

Here's a couple TC pics I got around the perimeter, but I haven't seen these guys in person yet.

I like the little freak most of all.

There ain't NOTHING showing up on my timber cams.

PICT0003_zps434b5606.jpg

PICT0015_zpsdc1a28df.jpg

• Like 2

Things got kinda slow again.

I sat the field again tonight but only 3 bucks showed up close to 8pm.
Four more popped out just before dark but they were too far away for any half way decent pics.

Still no monsters, but that's what keeps me coming back night after night!

_CSC0183_zps1a9c474e.jpg

_CSC0194_zpsd6a843fa.jpg

_CSC0202_zps5fc9e15c.jpg

_CSC0203_zps655d19ad.jpg

• Like 2