Shooting through Twigs

BackWoods Hunter

That's what I thought too until I shot it, for some reason small twigs don't bother the target line and it gets there like there is no tomorrow.... go figure, buy and try, that's all I can say... they ain't expensive either....

It probably is not a good idea to intentionally shoot through brush, but I think the question is still a valid one when asked in a different way. If shooting something like a .270, and the bullet strikes a small (maybe pencil sized) twig, are you likely to be in for a long day of tracking. In other words, what size twig does it take to upset the flight of the bullet to the point of a wound. Looking through a scope, it is always likely that the focus will obliterate the view of some unseen twigs. So naturally one has to wonder if this is a concern with using a rifle. I know when I was sitting there in my blind, I was wondering if I should have gone crazy butchering all the trees in the area to ensure that I didn't hit a single thing.

Any projectile can be deflected by branches/brush/twigs INCLUDING shotgun slugs...

Tiny toothpick sized twigs are probably not an issue..Pencil sized twigs might be...

A lot depends on the distance of the twigs/brush from the target. The closer the target is to the potential source of deflection, the less the effect will be..

In simple terms, if the bush is CLOSE to the deer, the deflection might be negligible.. If the bush is close to your muzzle the deflection will be much greater, possibly enough to cause a miss or a bad hit..

• Like 3

I have heard about these high velocity bullets disintegrating when hitting saplings. That is an argument used when justifying rifles in a lot of the southern zone counties. The claim has been made by a Minnesota study that rifles are actually safer than shotguns because the rifle bullets do not hold together upon ricochet like slugs do. So, how much of a concern is that when the bullet hits some minor obstruction along the way? Is the bullet likely to come apart on contact before it gets to the target animal? Well sure, it sounds like a dumb question, but when some of these statements are made by some people educated in such things, it does make you wonder to what extend those comments are true.

My questions about these things come from the fact that I am completely new at the rifle deer hunting thing, and I am concerned with just how paranoid I have to be about picking out a perfectly clear shooting lane.

Highly frangible varmint style bullets at high velocity might disintegrate when hitting a sapling, but controlled expansion jacketed or monolithic bullets designed for hunting big game will not..

They might deform or deflect, but they won't disintegrate unless they hit something substantial, like the ground.

I think you are safe taking any shot with the rifle that you would take with your shotgun, without having to worry about the bullets vaporizing from hitting a few twigs or a sapling. The main issue is, ANY projectile that is shot through brush may deflect and not hit your intended target.

May or may not deflect, the story I read on the dupleks website could be true, half of Europe is shooting wild boar on the run through the twigs and they are getting meat on the table. I tested it cause I thought it smelled like BS and was nicely surprised, these weird steel slugs do recover in flight and hit the target. Case and point this morning....... :-)

734051_10202662043615842_2098619211_n.jp

In my experience, I have had no problems shooting deer standing IN the brush.I have killed many deer with my 308 pushing handloaded 125 gr bullets at over 3000fps(very "explosive"). In the brush. By this I mean a clear line of sight with brush within a few feet of the deer. I know, through the scope, I could clearly see the kill zone, but I highly dought all of my shots threaded their way through without hitting some twigs.

In my experience, I have had no problems shooting deer standing IN the brush.I have killed many deer with my 308 pushing handloaded 125 gr bullets at over 3000fps(very "explosive"). In the brush. By this I mean a clear line of sight with brush within a few feet of the deer. I know, through the scope, I could clearly see the kill zone, but I highly dought all of my shots threaded their way through without hitting some twigs.

I agree with that.  I've shot my 06 through brush knowing and seeing the vitals.  I had no issue with impact where i was aiming.  That's not to say I would prefer the shot though IMO.  

Was checking my zero today on my .25 cal, and was off by 4 inches to the left consistently at 50. Found out later that my shots were clipping a briar from each shot, but not enough to break it off. The briar was around 15 yards. The angle of deflection isn't huge, but at 100 yards, it would have been 8-10 inches off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk