Lack of blood trail?

NYBuckHunter27

2 deer were taken this year in my hunting party with a muzzleloader and we noticed a lack of blood and a blood trail while trying to find these deer. We ultimately did find them but i was just wondering if this is a trend that anyone else has noticed? could it be because the sabot is so small and really doesn't expand? We use power-belt aerotips.

Powerbelts are known for fragmentation. Great accurate round for the range, but many people feel its not the best choice for a hunting option.

A lot of people like Barnes, Hornady SSTs and XTPs, Harvestors, No excuses, etc.

I have shot Powerbelts in the past, and I have to say I doubt I'll ever shoot them again after personal experiences.

I have never had a problem with the ML, I use Hornady GPB, 385 grains. I only had to track one ever with it actually and that was an easy job from a double lung. The other three fell in their tracks.

Holy grainage man! Do you hunt in some thick areas or just a fan of the bigger piece of lead?

2 deer were taken this year in my hunting party with a muzzleloader and we noticed a lack of blood and a blood trail while trying to find these deer. We ultimately did find them but i was just wondering if this is a trend that anyone else has noticed? could it be because the sabot is so small and really doesn't expand? We use power-belt aerotips.
you answered your own question... Power-belts. I personally am not big into MLers but not only on these forums, but ML and other forums I've read on, all say the PB rounds are plagued with poor hunting performance. Like many have said here, I've read good on the hornady and Barnes sabots.

I have never had a problem with the ML, I use Hornady GPB, 385 grains. I only had to track one ever with it actually and that was an easy job from a double lung. The other three fell in their tracks.
do you mean the FPB? I shoot those as well, but can't find any more in stores, I'll have to get them online.

I put up a post about Powerbelts and how they did on paper. Some of the guys here were good enough to tell me they were crap in the field. I did some research and they are spot on, many reviewer comments are the bullets exploding on impact, no penetration, no blood trail, deer being vitally hit two and three times before going down. I'll use them on paper then buy something else.

thanks for all the comments guys ill defiantly be switching for next year!
if you get one and find your gun groups well with them, make sure ya buy another back up box. I am unfortunately going to have to re-sight in an find a new load/bullet combo because I can't find any of the hornady fpb's I shoot. Wish I stocked up while I could have, I think with bullets/sabots they are always changing designs and replacing products (with some which have stood the test of time). Just a little personal experience I thought I should add.

I've used Powerbelts with no problems.  I use the .50 calibre 295 grn ALL lead HP. I don't shoot jacketed bullets or ones with fancy plastic tips. The best performance with a ML I've had was with a .54 calibre .535 patched lead roundball. I've taken deer out to 120 yards with that load and never tracked further than 50 yards. 

I've used powerbelts out of my flintlock for 6 years now.  Initially I used the aerotips, but found the bullet didn't expand on contact...I recovered the bullet from a shoulder and it was essentially intact but the tip was missing (quartering away, double lung shot; yes, I got lucky).  I switched to the hollowpoints and have taken several deer with them. Although this fall I started second guessing myself because I shot at 3 doe and didn't bring any of them home...gotta be shell, because it's never the shooter's fault ;)  I don't take shots much beyond 75 yards with the flinter so my experiences are all at semi-close range.  I trust their accuracy, beginning to be skeptical on their lethality, but tough to get the flinter to "like" any other load...Hornady's are all over the place no matter the grain behind it. Haven't tried roundballs though....probably to techy for my own good.

I too have had a lack of blood trail but with the SSTs and Shockwaves, which are the same bullet. The size shouldnt be the issue, ive seen smaller rifle bullets produce better blood trails. I might try something different in the off season to see if i can get similar groups but with a different bullet. Then i will see how they do next season.

i shot 3 deer with powerbelts this year and deer went 10 yards 10yards and flopped. a 45 or 50 cal hole thru the lungs will leave blood and a dead deer. even with no expansion. remember muzzloaders are a lower velocity and pistol bullets and jacked bullets wont expand. pure lead is way to go no matter what the brand type of bullet...

I shoot a 250 grain shockwave, bonded blue tip, most every time I shoot they either drop or bleed REALLY well.... The last one I shot I specifically put the round behind her shoulder to save meat, I could see 200 yards in the woods so I knew she wouldn't go out of sight. If I want to put them down quick, I'll put it in the "golden triangle" and drop them.. you just lose meat doing that... Here's the blood trail... I didn't need to follow it, saw her go down.

bloodtrail_zpse8a393fd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've had not so great results in the past with them but lately the last 6 deer I've taken with 250gr Hornady SSTs have left a blood trail decent enough.  i use them because they're an accurate bullet/sabot a long ways out.  if your shots are close maybe try barnes expanders or Hornady XTP Mags.

• 6 months later...