WNY Bowhunter's 2014 Shed Journal:

WNY Bowhunter

Antlers are amazing pieces of anatomy. To be honest, there's a lot of debate that goes into it.

I'm not into the biological reasoning, but my understanding is that stressors can cause a buck to shed early.

I've also seen based on my observations and also readings of people who have studied the topic that some bucks as they mature, tend to drop relatively about the same time each year, given "non-stressing conditions."

• 2 weeks later...

Found #2 this afternoon...

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Wish I would have picked this chunker up last spring.  It was laying out in a 30 acre section of beans that didn't get harvested in 2012 and I must have walked right by it last year...

IMG_0176.jpg

Unfortunately, half of the G3 was cut off while harvesting this past year but it still scored 60 2/8 with and additional 5 inches or so missing from the tip of the beam and the G3. 

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 2

The pics really don't do the antler justice...10" bladed G2, 6.5" browtine and a 5" base.  It is possibly the heaviest antler that I have found mass/weight wise. If the tines were still intact and you doubled it and added a 17-18" spread...this guy would have been a 147-148" 8-pt (not too shabby).

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Anything north of 60 is really really good in NY and to do it as an typical 4 point is awesome - his mass makes the beam look "short" in comparison.  In my experience most people cannot look at one side and envision how big it would appear as an intact set on a deer's head.  People tend to see a lone shed as much smaller. 

Really nice one - too bad you couldn't pick it up fresh!   Its in pretty good shape considering how it it could have turned up.

NICE!

Edited by farmhunter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...