Out with the old, in with the new....R 700 VTR 308

So I decided to get rid of my Remmy 700 SPS-V 223 that I put together some years back. It was an absolute tack driver, but I wanted something I could hunt deer with, not just yotes and such. Today the 223 was sold, and I picked up my new project. A Remington 700 VTR in 308. This rifle should be good for just about anything I want to go after in the foreseeable future. I havent decided on the glass just yet. I also need to figure out the bases. Probably the Leopold twist ons.

Heres a couple of pics of the starting point...

CBD285F4-5647-4BB2-AB88-335EE601DC58_zps

29AC40E7-0611-4E0F-B493-516F70349B60_zps

5DA083E6-82F3-483E-9910-173678302787_zps

And now you're going to put put some big, horrendous , high power variable, bulbous objective scope on it....

I'm going to go snuggle up with my sleek and graceful blued, walnut stocked sporter with it's 4X Leupold...

Poor Jack O'Connor is rolling over in his grave...<<sigh>>...

Well, I don't know. That triangular shaped barrel and the black color make the gun look evil. I think those features should be added to the "assault rifle" definition. And that bi-pod ...... oh my! Anybody got Cuomo's phone number?

• Like 3

Well, I don't know. That triangular shaped barrel and the black color make the gun look evil. I think those features should be added to the "assault rifle" definition. And that bi-pod ...... oh my! Anybody got Cuomo's phone number?

Im sure that the little King is already on it ….LOL!

I also am completing a gun project...more like out with the new and in with the old though .

My Ruger mk 11 .308 is being put in the 2nd tier for the rebirth of my fathers Mauser 98. Drilled, tapped, competitions firing pin and spring, timney trigger, it gives me 1/2 inch groups at 100. Of course it is in 8x57. The currently way overpowered 2x8  is coming off for a Leupold 1.5x5, which is worn on my .308 and 45-70 (I like consistency) and has proven more than adequate out to 200 yards, and far more versatile in typical NY woods. The mauser is 80 years old this year...and still a force to be reckoned with.

• Like 2

I also am completing a gun project...more like out with the new and in with the old though .

My Ruger mk 11 .308 is being put in the 2nd tier for the rebirth of my fathers Mauser 98. Drilled, tapped, competitions firing pin and spring, timney trigger, it gives me 1/2 inch groups at 100. Of course it is in 8x57. The currently way overpowered 2x8  is coming off for a Leupold 1.5x5, which is worn on my .308 and 45-70 (I like consistency) and has proven more than adequate out to 200 yards, and far more versatile in typical NY woods. The mauser is 80 years old this year...and still a force to be reckoned with.

Daveboone.... I think I love you...<<blush>>.....

I didn't know they made guns from recycled garbage, nice.

How much does it weigh?

I like hunting next to a guy with an ugly gun because it makes my guns look that much better. Haha

7.5 without the bipod.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my mom told me that every day. im not sure why.....

Lmao

• Like 1

So I have pretty much decided on the glass. Much to Pygmy's dismay, Im going to with either the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 with the VMR1 MOA reticle, or the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with the EBR2C MOA reticle. Not sure if i want the illuminated reticle or not. I will be using this rifle at night on yotes, so I may spring for that option.