Snap to your sausage

BKhunter

I was afraid to open this thread...very misleading.

You know, I think "titles" of threads can scare people off.  Last night I posted this and after the fact figured it could have spooked some people off, just by the title.........................................

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/21559-my-deck-and-the-cold/

So it looks like I'm doing something wrong. Not sure if I am understuffing or what. I don't think I am understuff as the sausage comes out approximatly the same size as the ones you buy in the grocery store. Do I maybe need to dry out the casing a little after I am done soaking them to flush the salt from them?

So it looks like I'm doing something wrong. Not sure if I am understuffing or what. I don't think I am understuff as the sausage comes out approximatly the same size as the ones you buy in the grocery store. Do I maybe need to dry out the casing a little after I am done soaking them to flush the salt from them?

I don't think you want to dry out the casings, they are much easier to work with when they are wet & have been soaking a few days.

Try stuffing the casings as full as possible without ripping them, and add some more pork fat to the mixture, and decrease the water (if you are adding it). Good luck! 

• 3 weeks later...

If you have the time pick up a book by Eileen Clark called "Sausage Season" it is a step by step book on making all kinds of wild game sausage. Available @ www.riflesandrecipes.com  I got a copy and read it cover to cover(thanks Lawdwaz) she is very particular in the process from the butchering to the final stuffing. She specifically talks about the snap or bite and the texture and what it takes to get it right. Basically keep the meat cold 28* and soaking the natural casing in salt water over night and rinsing them and putting them back in fresh salt water until ready to stuff. Another thing is the mixing the batch for at least 6 minutes in a good mixer to release the natural proteins in the meat this makes the texture right and can not be skipped. All the recipes are for 1.5 lb. batches so if you don't like it or really screw it up you don't throw out a ton of meat. I am looking forward to trying a batch with her guidance. All my experiments in the past were ok but  never the same as store bought product. Homemade venison hot dogs with jalapeno peppers and cheese!!!! can't wait. 

Edited by gonehntn

• 1 month later...

I am still getting used to making my own and it's actually rewarding in a sense. Using the natural casings, alright well keeping them from tearing isn't as easy as one might think. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. Sticking to kielbasa style links seems to help for now. But I want to get into making breakfast links as the price of bacon is getting obnoxious. 

if you are using natural casings then you need to rinse them out by running water through them, that should show any pin holes.  When I make breakfast sausage I just make patties, cook them right up and freeze. I use them for breakfast sandwiches, very convenient just thaw in the microwave while I cook the egg. YUM!

When I hunted with one group we made our own breakfast and hot sausage, patty style and it was quite good. We ground the venison first added equal amounts of unseasoned pork mixed in the seasoning to the meat reground it again and then let sit for 24 hours in fridge then packaged up. My kids went nuts over the breakfast sausage, I went through what I had in a couple of months. We found it easier then working with the casings

mrmagoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

So I had a package of loose packed sausage that I used last night and while browning it I notice a ton of liquid coming off the meat. Also, the left over that I did not brown I shaped into patties to cook today for dinner. While forming the patties a whole lot of blood and liquid came pouring out. I believe the meat is just retaining to much blood before I case my sausage and that it was is causing my sausage to not have that desired snap. Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this? Do I need to age the meat whole or do I need to let it sit once I grind it? Thanks for any tips.