Great News

Tinlodge

I am pleased to report that the 2014-15 NYS Budget – pending final approval by the Legislature - will make crossbows a legal hunting implement once again in New York State.

The budget language will allow crossbow use for all small game and any big game season that includes firearms. We will also have crossbow use in the last 14 days of the Southern Zone and the last 10 days of the Northern Zone early archery seasons. In addition, the archery set back is changed to 150' for archery and 250' for crossbows. Unfortunately, Suffolk and Westchester counties are once again eliminated from the crossbow inclusion.

More will be forthcoming in an official press release.

Congratulations to all and I thank everyone that made the calls, sent emails and wrote letters to get us to this point.

Best Regards,
Rick McDermott
New York Crossbow Coalition
www.nycrossbowcoalition.com

• Like 5

I am pleased to report that the 2014-15 NYS Budget – pending final approval by the Legislature - will make crossbows a legal hunting implement once again in New York State.

The budget language will allow crossbow use for all small game and any big game season that includes firearms. We will also have crossbow use in the last 14 days of the Southern Zone and the last 10 days of the Northern Zone early archery seasons. In addition, the archery set back is changed to 150' for archery and 250' for crossbows. Unfortunately, Suffolk and Westchester counties are once again eliminated from the crossbow inclusion.

More will be forthcoming in an official press release.

Congratulations to all and I thank everyone that made the calls, sent emails and wrote letters to get us to this point.

Best Regards,

Rick McDermott

New York Crossbow Coalition

www.nycrossbowcoalition.com

That sounds awful familiar!

They could always come to some sort of compromise:

Bow season is about 6 weeks long now.  Let it be vertical only for the first 3 or 4 weeks, then open it up to x-bows for the rest of the seasons.  Both sides should hate that idea, which is usually a good litmus test for something fair.   ;)

I find it odd the crossbow has a greater setback distance... I mean considering they're the same as a compound bow and all ;)

Yeah, like politicians making that distinction means anything. And they're not the same, they're better, which is why I want to use one. :-)

Zhe Wiz

I find it odd the crossbow has a greater setback distance... I mean considering they're the same as a compound bow and all ;)

It makes sense to me. I think many that will use them may be aged hunters who for the same reasons that they can't use a compound anymore will also pass on tree stands. Shooting on a more horizontal plane I can see a longer set back

Lot of misconceptions about the performance of a Xbow. Plenty of bad, misinformed types of propoganda used by lobbying groups opposed to Xbows. It's a proven fact that compound bows have a superior arrow trajectory beyond 30yds than do Xbows. So, the additional setback is just an example of why our legislators have no clue on this subject, other than what misinformation is being supplied to them. Unfortunately this damned subject became a political "hot potato". Pretty sure everyone (hunters), whether for or against Xbows, can agree this matter should have been put in the hands of the DEC 2-3 years ago.

Bob - IMHO, think we'll see a lot of typically regular season gun hunters getting into Xbows to take advantage of the earlier season and more of the "prime-time" rut dates. Then after these newbies find out shooting a Xbow is not like shooting a rifle like certain anti groups claim, they'll give them up.

If you've every handled a Xbow, they're heavy, awkward, unbalanced, difficult to carry any distance and basically not ideal for stalking The more horizontal shots while blind hunting is a different situation. Guess I'm predicting (?) Xbows won't be used any differently than compounds, regarding the individual's hunting style. More than likely you'll hunt the same after getting a Xbow as you did before their implementation..!

Seems like a pretty fair compromise for now. I'm happy that my dad and grandfather and anyone else who cant draw a compound or prefers scope sights might be able to hunt during the archery season up here in New York.

I also agree that anyone who thinks xbow = easy has never used a xbow. They are awkward, especially cocked and many people need a shooting rail or pod to maintain accuracy. I prefer my short ATA bow out of an open hang on any day.

I still support the use of them and will applaud the legislature should it be approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager