Can I sell a shoulder mount legally in New York?

WestchesterBowman

I think your best bet is to try and sell it to some type of establishment like a restaurant or hotel with an outdoors theme. I don't know of any hunter who would want to purchase another person's trophy. Just my opinion. 

No argument there, I think you're exactly right. I just wanted to make sure I was legal before I put it online for sale.

Reminds me of my ex-wife...<<grin>>...

Other than that..There are people out there that will pay good money for quality mounts. I sold three caribou mounts a couple of years ago because I no longer had a place to display them properly.

A fellow that was furnishing and decorating his new log home bought them. I put the money in my "hunting trip" fund and hope to use it on a mule deer hunt this year if I draw the tag.

Check on ebay..You may be surprised at how much your hog mount is worth.

That's a very nice mount..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

I could see a shop / store / restaurant might want one but I couldn't see an individual wanting a mount from something that someone else killed .

To me it would be like someone buying a bowling trophy at a garage sale and putting it on their mantel .

• Like 2

Try Craigslist or an online garage sale on Facebook if you have one in your area.

My sister and brother in law just bought a mount of a 10 point and an 11 point. They offered the 10 point to me for free and got kind of offended when I told them I wouldn't hang someone else mount in my house.

Google "Taxidermy Mounts Wanted" and you see a lot of options of you who could potentially sell it to. Good Luck and don't jump at the first lowball offer.  Also, what about the guy who did the taxidermy work? maybe he would be interested in buying back to display at his shop?

Once or twice a year, I rent table at large area flea markets. I've always had success selling deer, fish and bird mounts. As a hobby, I hit tag sales and buy stuff to resell. I usally buy a mount for around $15 to $35 (estate sales just about give them away) and then resell them to NYC folks for for a few hundred.

As others said, I doubt a hunter will buy them. But a person lookingt o decorate their weekend place or gentleman farm will jump take them.