Of course this wont happen opening day!!

LI OUTDOORSMAN

Drove up to the farm Tuesday night in a full blown snowstorm to hopefully scout some birds for a few days.Next morning dawns cold and cloudy with snow covering frozen ground. Didnt expect to hear much gobbling as I walked to my usual listening spot just above a hollow where I have a ladder stand.Turns out the birds where roosted right at the edge of the field and they all busted out of the tree and lit down towards my stand!.As soon as these birds hit the ground I'm hearing big booming gobbles and yelping like crazy.I was in full camo and just sat right down to avoid being spotted.All of a sudden a hen starts yelping to my left about 75 yds in the woods..thats it.. the gobblers went nuts trying to regroup and i knew they were gonna be on top of me very quickly.I just froze as I saw white heads moving through the woods.two huge longbeards stop in a clearing at perfect gun range maybe 25 yds and stare towards the direction of the hen..She yelps again and they are both double gobbling litterally in my face!..Awesome encounter!! and they never knew I was there.I let them walk off a good distance gobbling all the way and got the hell out of there and wont be back till opening morning.

I sure hope they stick around.

• Like 3

It was a really cool encounter and also flies in the face of common belief that the hens almost always go to the gobbler..not these birds! They wanted to be with that hen in the worst way.

Thats also why I purposely do not take any turkey calls with me so I dont do any pre season educating

I just sit and listen and try to determine travel routes

Thats also why I purposely do not take any turkey calls with me so I dont do any pre season educating

I just sit and listen and try to determine travel routes

Amen to that. Hen calls are stricly for use when you're ready to pull the trigger. Can get away with sparingly using a locating gooble call.

This is exactally why some turkeys on public lands are so hard to call in.