replacing string and cables

2012_taco

How much should one pay to have the string and cables replaced on an Elite Gt500 (2009) ? I haven't had it done in years since my last bow a Martin Magnum. I don't remember what it cost but I was just quoted $120 plus 40 to tune it up. Sounds a little high to me. Any thoughts?

How much should one pay to have the string and cables replaced on an Elite Gt500 (2009) ? I haven't had it done in years since my last bow a Martin Magnum. I don't remember what it cost but I was just quoted $120 plus 40 to tune it up. Sounds a little high to me. Any thoughts?

Lol ..... I used to buy a whole bow for that price, and a damned nice one too. Good thing we are headed for a cashless society, or we would be needing a wheelbarrow to carry our money just for shopping. It's getting so that the maintenance on these bows is costing a pretty hefty percentage of the purchase price.

That price sounds a little high. Not a lot, but a little. It's not a cheap thing to do anymore.

I paid $100 for the string/cables on my BowTech a year ago.  Only thing is it was a guy in North Collins.

Can ya carry your bow on your motorcycle?  Take a ride........................... B)

Only thing is (and I've pointed this out before) if there is any issues, you have a long ride back for service.

You can get a quality set of strings from retrieverfishin on the elite website for $45 shipped.  I think $160 is expensive for string and tune, but if the tune was a quality one (paper and broadhead) vs. just checking timing and putting rest to spec centershot, it may be worth it if its not in your skill set.

Edited by moog5050

a premium complete string sets are close to $100 for their standard colors... if you pick the colors it's like $110.  custom materials, serving colors, etc and now the set is $120.  so the price is probably close if it's a good set.  usually though if you buy a set from a shop they'll put on at no charge and tune the bow.  $40 is fair fee to tune but some include it with installing the string.  they'll quickly tune things close enough to kill deer.

this is an area where you don't want to skimp on, think about all the issues you could have including the safety factor. If you deal with a reputable bow tech and that's the price i would go with it, like previously stated a good set of strings and cables are $100.00 minimum. Winners choice are great strings!

Retrieverfishin uses the same quality BCY material as bigger name makers.  In fact, you can tell Mike what strings material you want to use and the color choice.  All for $45.  $100 is a lot to pay just for strings.  Check him out on the elite site and his reviews.  I have purchased at least 10 sets from him, for elites and others.  In fact, his set is currently installed on my gt-500.

You can also ship him the bow and he would install and tune.  Not sure how much you would save after factoring in shipping. 

Edited by moog5050

Just be sure you are going to a reputable shop. Some places don't like you bringing in strings/cables from others - and they upcharge the service for it. Not right, but it is what it is.

It may be $40 with the purchase from him or $60, etc. if you bring in the product. Some shops are just like that.

We had a guy from Michigan who makes strings on a site that I moderated . He sent me 2 sets of of strings / cables free for doing a review .. I had the strings ordered for my Ben Pearson TX-4 . The guy contacted Ben Pearson company and the the specific measurements . I had Dave , at Trophy Taker archery in Walworth install a set and I think he charged me $20 . The strings are great . Here are pics of before and after . The dull strings are the old ones .

post-132-0-82429000-1398086616_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-06086500-1398086638_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm in the same situation.  My Elite Z-28 is 3 yrs old and has seen heavy use.  I think it is time for new strings and cables.

The strings that Moog mentioned are good. I've got a set on my Z28. Cheap and good.

Thanks for the info. I usually take my bows to Roy at Nick's on Kenmore Ave., but after hearing about a new place on RT.5 in Akron (on this forum) and they are an Elite dealer I thought I would give them a try. Just was surprised with the estimate and when I asked if the go over everything while it is being serviced, I was told a tune up would be between 20-40 extra. It just seems to me as long as you got the bow and you are a registered Elite shop you would check it out completely with out any question. besides once you change the string and cables don't you have to set up the bow from scratch anyway? The second part of the equation is I have been thinking of selling the bow and getting a newer Elite (love the new models)and that money would go far as a deposit on the new bow.

just got a string / cable set  (BCY Trophy) from the Bow String Depot for my Mathews ZXT was $60 + local shop charged me $20 to install  Hutch from the Bow string Depot is a great guy with great customer service & fast build time

you can check out his site. Here is a few pics of my string set & matching wrist sling he built

post-555-0-81997700-1398168076_thumb.jpg

post-555-0-96185400-1398168085_thumb.jpg

post-555-0-51354300-1398168095_thumb.jpg

just got a string / cable set  (BCY Trophy) from the Bow String Depot for my Mathews ZXT was $60 + local shop charged me $20 to install  Hutch from the Bow string Depot is a great guy with great customer service & fast build time

you can check out his site. Here is a few pics of my string set & matching wrist sling he built

that QAD HD Pro drop away doesn't look like it's timed right.  does it go up in the last inch or less of the draw cycle???

Elite doesn't replace strings and cables for free. No company does that unless there is an issue. Elite is great at CS, however.

And, yes, QADs go up in the last inch or so of the cycle.

I agree with the string replacement.  They won't do it unless there is an issue.  Strings are a normal wear item.

yea I know they're supposed to.  what I'm saying is from the picture the cord looks almost pulled tight at rest.  It's hard to imagine it's going up at the right time, but pictures can be deceiving.  it just looks "off".

that QAD HD Pro drop away doesn't look like it's timed right.  does it go up in the last inch or less of the draw cycle???

nope works perfect pic is deceiving there is slack in it also doesn't need a lot with a 26" draw LOL

Edited by gfdeputy2