Ontario Gobbler Season

Pygmy

Spring gobbler season in Ontario opens this Friday, April 25th.

I'll be loading up the truck for my annual pilgrimage in Prince Edward County, near Picton, Ontario this afternoon and driving up tomorrow.

My plans are to arrive early tomorrow afternoon in time to get a blind or two set up in time for the opener Friday.

• Like 1

Go knock em dead, what gun you packing along?

I'm taking my Rem 11-87 SP 12 gauge 3 inch mag, trebark camo, 21" barrel with a Kick's .665" Gobblin' Thunder tube. The short barrel is handy at cramped quarters, such as inside a pop up blind.

I just mounted a Leupold Vari X II 1x4x20MM on it and sighted it in a couple of days ago.

I have to stop at Canadian customs and register my gun. It takes about 1/2 hour and costs $30. The registry is only good for 60 days, so I have to renew the registry every year when I go up. Not too bad a hassle, unless they happen to be real busy at Customs.

Going solo, or meeting up with other members of the "Eh- Team"?

Good luck!

I hunt with a Canadian friend, whom I met on a turkey forum about 15 years ago.

He has lived in the area most of his life and he gets permission for us to hunt on several private properties. I stay at his house. He comes down and hunts with me here in NY every spring and fall.

• Like 1

I'm taking my Rem 11-87 SP 12 gauge 3 inch mag, trebark camo, 21" barrel with a Kick's .665" Gobblin' Thunder tube. The short barrel is handy at cramped quarters, such as inside a pop up blind.

I just mounted a Leupold Vari X II 1x4x20MM on it and sighted it in a couple of days ago.

I have to stop at Canadian customs and register my gun. It takes about 1/2 hour and costs $30. The registry is only good for 60 days, so I have to renew the registry every year when I go up. Not too bad a hassle, unless they happen to be real busy at Customs.

Trebark? I haven't heard that name in a while!  That was my first camo set as a kid.

Can you preregister the guns?  Do you get hasseled coming back?  (for my future reference)

I know from my experience's the US is the tougher of the two.

Trebark? I haven't heard that name in a while!  That was my first camo set as a kid.

Can you preregister the guns?  Do you get hasseled coming back?  (for my future reference)

I know from my experience's the US is the tougher of the two.

Come ON, Doe...That gun is one of my more recent aquisitions..I've only had it for 21 years ! It was the NWTF "Gun of the Year" in 1993. LOL...

I don't believe you can pre-register a firearm. You can get a copy of the registration form and have it all filled out when you arrive at customs, but you MUST sign it in the presence of the issuing officer. While you are there they will run a little computer check on you to make sure not a terrorist, an ax murderer, or a mother raper.

Do not take the gun into the customs office. The agent MAY want to come outside to confirm that the serial number is correct. Usually they don't, but I've had it happen 3 or 4 times over the years.

Usually there is no hassle returning, but to make sure you are covered, stop at US Customs on your way up and fill out a Customs Form 4457 ( Certificate of registration for personal effects taken abroad) for your gun. That way if some Richard Headed Customs Officer is having a bad day, you can prove that the gun that you are taking OUT OF Canada is the same one that you took INTO Canada.

Since the Canadian registration has been in effect they usually don't ask for the 4457, but it's a good idea just in case. I have had to produce mine a couple of times over the years. You only have to do that one once. The one I have for my 11-87 was issued in 1999, and it is still valid.

• Like 1

Smash a big 'Ol Tom for us peons down here.........pics man pics!!!!

Good luck and travel safe!

Thanks to you ALL for the well wishes.

I may access the forum from my Gator's computer and give you a day by day. I do believe that Gator can post pictures, so if the turkey gods smile on us, perhaps we can send some hero pictures.

Time to go pack the truck.

What's a Gator??

Gator is a big ugly Canuck who happens to be my host in Ontario. He's a great guy and a good friend. He has killed 13 bears..11 with his bow. A few years back they opened the spring turkey season in southern Ontario, and he discovered that it was much more fun to hunt gobblers than to sit in a treestand over a stinking bear bait and get eaten alive by insects. He and I met online on a turkey hunting forum in the late 1990s and have been good friends ever since.

His name is for real...Everybody calls him Gator...

His given name is Gaylord...Wouldn't YOU rather be called GATOR than Gaylord ?

Nuf sed...

Gator is a big ugly Canuck who happens to be my host in Ontario. He's a great guy and a good friend. He has killed 13 bears..11 with his bow. A few years back they opened the spring turkey season in southern Ontario, and he discovered that it was much more fun to hunt gobblers than to sit in a treestand over a stinking bear bait and get eaten alive by insects. He and I met online on a turkey hunting forum in the late 1990s and have been good friends ever since.

His name is for real...Everybody calls him Gator...

His given name is Gaylord...Wouldn't YOU rather be called GATOR than Gaylord ?

Nuf sed...

Ha!  I REALLY like the name "Gator".  And if I didn't I bet I wouldn't tell him either!

• Like 1

In order to get a turkey license in Ontario, you are required to take a training course.

It is similar to turkey hunting seminars that I attended years ago here in NY.. It is largely saftey oriented... You MUST take it to be eligible to buy a permit , however, regardless of how much turkey hunting experience you have had. When I took mine in the late 90s, I had perhaps 75 gobblers under my belt, where the instructors of the course had perhaps 5 or 6 each. Most of the rest of the appx. 100 people in the room had never killed a turkey. However, those are thier rules. You must go up and take a scheduled seminar to buy the tag. Once you have passed the training course and recieved the certificate, it is just a matter of purchasing a small game license and the turkey tags. License is about $100 and the tags are about $25 each, two allowed per season.