Both of the representatives from my area are good-guys with regard to 2A rights.

State Assemblyman Brian Kolb, 131st district,

State Senator Mike Nozzolio, 54th district.

Not sure of any contention for these seats, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for the post!

Not Kolb.  He's system.  Follows orders.

All you have to know about any of these guys is shown here: http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/17272-lest-we-forget/

For me that is the litmus test for my vote this fall. If they voted for the Safe Act, they signed on as an enemy of gun owners. It doesn't get any more simple than that. For me, this years election is all about sending a message that we have enough gun control and anything more will be viewed as an aggressive act that will cause their loss of employment as a state legislator. Other issues will be dealt with in other election years, but this year I am focused, as I hope we will all be.

• Like 3

All you have to know about any of these guys is shown here: http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/17272-lest-we-forget/

For me that is the litmus test for my vote this fall. If they voted for the Safe Act, they signed on as an enemy of gun owners. It doesn't get any more simple than that. For me, this years election is all about sending a message that we have enough gun control and anything more will be viewed as an aggressive act that will cause their loss of employment as a state legislator. Other issues will be dealt with in other election years, but this year I am focused, as I hope we will all be.

Doc,

I should have added his vote on that issue, however, it is in the vote smart link. It is a lot of work for me to look up everything. I was actually hoping someone would quote and comment with his vote on that... But here is the surprise, what about the opposing candidate? He needs to be surveyed on hunting and 2a issues. I don't know if we can do it this Novenber, but in 2.5 years we will be sending the candidates running against incumbents surveys and posting their responses or failure to respond. Not needed to survey incumbent on issues they have a voting record for, but other issues maybe... Hey, if you or anyone has the time, do it for this election. I will be pretty pissed if someone steals my idea and doesn't ask about pheasant farm/ mute swans/ mourning doves (ie.. send them only crap about antlers, crossbows, youth, cormorants, coyotes, rifles)... or doesn't consult with us about crafting the mourning dove / pheasant/ mute swan part of the survey though...

From Doc's safe act voting record post regarding Curran:

VOTING TO INFRINGE YOUR GUN RIGHTS – Ayes: Abbate, Abinanti, Arroyo, Aubry, Barrett,

Barron, Benedetto, Boyland, Braunstein, Brennan, Bronson, Brook-Krasny, Buchwald, Cahill,

Camara, Castro, Clark, Colton, Cook, Curran

Doc,

But here is the surprise, what about the opposing candidate? He needs to be surveyed on hunting and 2a issues.

Great question. Is it possible that we might be forced into voting for a candidate that has an even worse attitude on guns than the signers of the Safe Act that we vote out? My answer to that is that it may very well happen. But that then becomes a battle for the following election.

Here's the story on my focus on the Safe Act vote. I would like to keep things real simple. And by simple, I mean that my vote is a warning to all those that would propose or support gun-unfriendly legislation. I want it to be understood by all politicians that if they dabble in anti-gun legislative activity, it can be assumed that it will be their last term. Their successor may be worse than the one we replace, but on the day that he is elected, he will have been warned in the strongest of ways that if he tries to put his agenda into legislation, he will be enjoying his last term in that office. It's a hell of a motivator that may actually create some pro-gun converts. If it doesn't then we will have to show him the door during the next election.

At some point we have to take a hard, clear stand that cannot be dismissed by politicians. We have emotional momentum with this Safe Act. We have it for just one year. We had better use it wisely and send a message that lasts for decades to come. No need to overthink any of it. Keep it simple for the incensed gun owners and keep it simple for the signers of the Safe Act, and keep it simple for future generations of politicians. Restore the fear of the gun lobby that used to exist before 1968. It's our one chance. You all know what is coming if we fail and these people are emboldened by our failure.

• Like 1

Great question. Is it possible that we might be forced into voting for a candidate that has an even worse attitude on guns than the signers of the Safe Act that we vote out? My answer to that is that it may very well happen. But that then becomes a battle for the following election.

Here's the story on my focus on the Safe Act vote. I would like to keep things real simple. And by simple, I mean that my vote is a warning to all those that would propose or support gun-unfriendly legislation. I want it to be understood by all politicians that if they dabble in anti-gun legislative activity, it can be assumed that it will be their last term. Their successor may be worse than the one we replace, but on the day that he is elected, he will have been warned in the strongest of ways that if he tries to put his agenda into legislation, he will be enjoying his last term in that office. It's a hell of a motivator that may actually create some pro-gun converts. If it doesn't then we will have to show him the door during the next election.

At some point we have to take a hard, clear stand that cannot be dismissed by politicians. We have emotional momentum with this Safe Act. We have it for just one year. We had better use it wisely and send a message that lasts for decades to come. No need to overthink any of it. Keep it simple for the incensed gun owners and keep it simple for the signers of the Safe Act, and keep it simple for future generations of politicians. Restore the fear of the gun lobby that used to exist before 1968. It's our one chance. You all know what is coming if we fail and these people are emboldened by our failure.

And your original post was perfectly constructed. I am not trying to complicate it. I am trying to emphasize the districts where incumbents will be challenged. In the district I posted about, it so happens the incumbent voted for the SA. But surveying the opposing candidate not only exposes his (unknown) attitudes but it also lets him know we are alive and we are watching him and not just unorganized, bumbling farmers... 

There is an additional benefit to polling... Surveys as you know, sometimes have ulterior motives. They are used to get people to pay attention and educate them about something. They are considered "persuasive polls". Persuasive polling is done ethically with facts and other times unethically with propaganda...

• 2 months later...

Both of the representatives from my area are good-guys with regard to 2A rights.

State Assemblyman Brian Kolb, 131st district,

State Senator Mike Nozzolio, 54th district.

Not sure of any contention for these seats, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for the post!

Kolb was one of only 25 lawmakers who recently voted PRO - DEC.  Kolb also voted against the Safe Act. 

The following lawmakers, all in the assembly, recently voted Pro -DEC:  Corwin; Oaks; Walter; Crouch; Goodell; Barclay; Palmesa; Hawley; Blanken; Borelli; DiPietri; Duprey; Finch; Mclaugh; Stec; Butler; Katz; Friend; Stirpe; Montesa; Tenney; Giglio; Kolb; Lalor; Nojay.

Tenney is also leading an initiative to Repeal the Safe Act. She did run in the recent primary for Hanna's seat in congress, but was narrowly defeated. Despite the close election; I do not believe she is asking for a recount and therefore did not vacate her assembly seat in the 101 district, which is new Hartford, near Utica.

Who all is being challenged? We are aware of the following:

Brian Curran challenged by Friedman in the 21st Assembly District

George Maziarz challenged by Gia Arnold in the 47th senate district

Also, a  guy by the name of "Denver Jones" is running for "senate". No info on if this is state senate or congress or what district, although he is said to live in Tioga county. Since we don't know what office or district, we don't know who is the incumbent he is challenging or whether it is vacant or what. Anybody know or will find out?

Anyone know of any other incumbents who are being challenged next election? Post them up here!

Edited by mike rossi

Yeah, I would like to see this thread take off with some recommendations and assists as to how to thin out these anti-gun New York legislators and send that all important message from gunners of "Don't Tread on Me".

The NY (state) primaries are September 9, 2014. Some voters may not be aware of new candidates challenging incumbents  until that date, allowing only about 8 weeks to "research" them before the general election (November 4, 2014 off course). To be informed to vote in the primary, if you start investigating the candidates today, you only have about 9 weeks.

Here are some links to start with:

http://ballotpedia.org/New_York_elections,_2014

http://new-york.state-election.info/

http://www.elections.ny.gov/

Yeah, I would like to see this thread take off with some recommendations and assists as to how to thin out these anti-gun New York legislators and send that all important message from gunners of "Don't Tread on Me".

Our organization is apolitical, we don't get involved with elections.

I know this however; the Oneida's recently helped in incumbent narrowly defeat a candidate in the US primary by dumping about $700,000 on local advertising. The advertising was not necessarily about special interest issues important to the Oneidas, but about issues important to a broad base of people. The homosexual community recently squashed another politician with the exact same tactic. Both the Oneida's and the homosexual community are aware that they are minorities and their special interests are not palatable to the public majority, so instead they focused their advertising campaign on issues that set the candidate they wish to defeat against the public majority. Such advertising can even be done without disclosing who is sponsoring it. Very shrewd indeed...

Yesterday July 9, or today July 10; is the deadline for candidates trying to get on the primary ballot to submit their petitions with the required number of signatures...

I assume the candidates will be announced very soon?  Somebody post them up. Then the primary will be September 9.

Everyone registered to vote?

I have been informed that Denver Jones has collected enough petition signatures to be eligible to run; but was still working right up to the deadline collecting more signatures for a buffer because they are certain his opponent, incumbent (State) Senator Tom Libious, will contest some of the signatures, ie. they are not legible, etc... If your candidate is collecting buffers, their might be a few hours to get people over to their campaign headquarters to sign buffer signatures and/or collect enough to put someone on the ballot.

Here are a few more info tidbits:

There are 65 (state) senate districts in NY, of which two or three are vacant. Each state senate district covers a land area containing 312,550 people. The denser the population of people, the smaller the land area of each district and vice versa. NY has 800,000 licensed hunters, which do not necessarily represent all gun owners. That number also includes some nonresident hunters , however. If the hunting community was distributed evenly throughout the state, and it is NOT, each state senate district would represent about 12,698 hunters or 9.8% of the districts population.

The NY state assembly districts represent 128,652 people, so they are more (well over 100 versus 65) assembly districts than senate districts. The community of hunters and/or gun owners  off course, is not evenly distributed across the assembly districts either, but since the people represented in each assembly district is less than half of a senate district, fewer sportsman/gun owners may have more teeth as a voting force. Then again they may not, as the population cluster downstate means the assembly is therefore clustered there as well.

Problem is, if there is one thing these politician lawmakers do know or pay attention to, its their constituency. If they vote anti-gun they likely know they can get a way with it in their district. The sporting community has been carrying on like a mob the past two years or so and little effort has been put into scoping out our voting power on a district level and using that info in every possible way, go list them, I am not doing it.

Are there all these non voting sportsmen / gun owners exist who are angered by the safe act and will come out in droves nest election as claimed? We will see. But what should have been done was find candidates to run who not only represent the interests of hunters, but also represent most of the interests of most of the people, people who actually can win elections by defeating incumbents.  

A little late now? Tell me about it, you all tell me everything  I am wrong about lol... What can I say, You get what you sow, so I guess you got food plots....

Edited by mike rossi

For the very same reasons that we cannot seem to vote our convictions, we are also incapable of mustering the will and power to put up candidates. My thought is that hunters as a general rule are not joiners or activists and we tend not to get involved. We can be a very focused bunch when properly motivated and I believe that is what was being attempted to be done with the demonstrations that you have termed "Acting like a mob". I for one completely applaud the organization and efforts that have gone into these demonstrations, and the efforts to ensure that the safe act did not slip into the background as the politicians who perpetrated that travesty had hoped. The issue has been kept before the gun owners, and now it is up to them to get their butts registered and to the polls. That is the last but might hurdle.

If we can make it past that hurdle, the message will be sent that will automatically create the pro-gun candidates that we want. The principles of politicians are pretty much formed by what happens at the polls (even trends). It would be amazing to see how many anti gun politicians change course immediately once of few of their cohorts come up missing from the state legislatures.

Here is a point also that has been completely over-looked. We do not need to have a 100% victory across the board. We don't even have to have a majority impact. All we have to accomplish is a "significant" impact in the change of the legislature. Everyone thinks that nothing has been accomplished if we don't replace every single anti-gun legislator. Not true! We simply have to get them looking over their shoulders, and the results will be shown in the quality of legislation.

I agree Doc, 100% victory across the board is not needed and is too lofty of a goal. But we need to attack the problem with a better strategy. Venting and/or making fun of people does nothing at best and hurts at worst... This issue there was enough time and it had the interest and attention of the sporting community. As you said yourself, this is one way to confirm being a "paper tiger".

Despite not optimizing this campaign, do you think sportsmen have learned or are in a better position to do better next time, because I don't see that as having occurred. I think if another class of firearm was banned tomorrow, little more would be done than making the word "liberal" the most used on the internet for a few more months.

I agree Doc, 100% victory across the board is not needed and is too lofty of a goal. But we need to attack the problem with a better strategy. Venting and/or making fun of people does nothing at best and hurts at worst... This issue there was enough time and it had the interest and attention of the sporting community. As you said yourself, this is one way to confirm being a "paper tiger".

Despite not optimizing this campaign, do you think sportsmen have learned or are in a better position to do better next time, because I don't see that as having occurred. I think if another class of firearm was banned tomorrow, little more would be done than making the word "liberal" the most used on the internet for a few more months.

I have no trouble with attacking problems on more than one front in more than one way. I am not disagreeing with you that we need to have more political involvement in the process and that includes the earlier stages of elections that involves candidate selection. But at the same time, we have a current need to grab as much of this upcoming election as possible. Our future credibility is at stake. We can't simply wait until the next time. Never have we had gunners as motivated as they are now. Probably an opportunity like this will never be this ripe. So the message is that we have to fight the battles we are currently in. And does that mean that we should ignore actions that can be aimed at the future? .... absolutely not.

Lol.... that's what we have to do. Now let's talk about how to do it in terms of getting real people to participate in the process.

I have no trouble with attacking problems on more than one front in more than one way. I am not disagreeing with you that we need to have more political involvement in the process and that includes the earlier stages of elections that involves candidate selection. But at the same time, we have a current need to grab as much of this upcoming election as possible. Our future credibility is at stake. We can't simply wait until the next time. Never have we had gunners as motivated as they are now. Probably an opportunity like this will never be this ripe. So the message is that we have to fight the battles we are currently in. And does that mean that we should ignore actions that can be aimed at the future? .... absolutely not.

Lol.... that's what we have to do. Now let's talk about how to do it in terms of getting real people to participate in the process.

Send questionnaires to the CANDIDATES which survey their attitudes towards guns, hunting, and wildlife policy.  Don't worry about the incumbents, as their voting record is public.

Post the responses to questionnaires on the internet and assign an A,B,C, D, F grade to these political hopefuls. Any candidate that disses the survey is assigned an F grade. Partially completed surveys with certain questions unanswered or answered in ambiguous terms should consider those answers as hostile, not neutral in assigning a grade. Survey questions need to be date relevant, state relevant, issue relevant, the NRA's survey does not focus on grass roots issues, we need our own survey... Are you the guy for the job Doc? First step is to identify who is running in the primary September 9....

I haven't the resources for that kind of effort, but would certainly support anyone who does. I think it is a great idea that probably should have been done by any of a number of pro-gun organizations that have the resources of membership, dues, etc. But even with that done, a media blitz that reaches all or most of the gun owners of the state is still required. Something is required to put the info in front of the faces of voters and then something is needed to MAKE them read it and act on it. That is the more difficult part of the problem. How do you incite all these people to once again become involved and activated? Will a survey do it? I don't know. It can't hurt.