Who's Taking A Youth Out This Weekend?

Cabin Fever

I'll be taking my daughter out. The weather isn't looking too great for Saturday, windy and 40% chance of showers (Right now anyway). Hopefully we can get a couple good hours after daylight, before it starts though. Sunday is looking better!

Been going out listening at camp for the past 2-3 weekends. Went out this afternoon and picked out a place to put up the pop up blind and decoys.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Taking my son for his first time. He is siked! He's going to be using a .410 and/or 20 ga handed down to him by his Nono.

I went up and set up my blind two weeks ago on the edge of a cut corn field. Hoping we'll at least see some longbeards. I promised him that if he takes one I would do a full body strut mount to put in his room. Nice way to get him motivated!

• Like 2

I'll be taking my cousin out this weekend. Wanted to take him to camp and go fishing after for some perch and also get some free labor out of him but he has stuff going on in the evening so we'll be staying local. But there are more birds around here then down at camp so I guess it's not all bad

• Like 1

Deerthug.My nephew hunted with a 410 his first time out and made a bad shot on a bird.I would suggest the 20 for your boy.Not trying to step on any toes,the first day Jeff(my nephew) had a monster gobbler(10 inch beard later shot by a friend) and couldn't knock him down.Needless to say the wind was really let out of his sails,the next day I was able to convince him to get back out their and he nailed a jake at 15 yards with a borrowed 20 gauge single shot.Either way good luck and have a great time 

• Like 1

Deerthug.My nephew hunted with a 410 his first time out and made a bad shot on a bird.I would suggest the 20 for your boy.Not trying to step on any toes,the first day Jeff(my nephew) had a monster gobbler(10 inch beard later shot by a friend) and couldn't knock him down.Needless to say the wind was really let out of his sails,the next day I was able to convince him to get back out their and he nailed a jake at 15 yards with a borrowed 20 gauge single shot.Either way good luck and have a great time

Yeah I was afraid that would happen which is why I am bringing the 20 with us. Perhaps I can convince him to use it.

Went out at daylight this morning, but no gobbling in the immediate area. I heard some ~1/2 mile away across the road. Seems like everytime I've gone out in the past 3 weeks listening at daylight, they are roosted in one small area 150-200 yards behind the cabin ~75% of the time. Hoping since they weren't there today, they'll be roosted back in there by the weekend. We don't have many turkeys around, so it's a crap shoot! It can make or break a hunt, depending on which side of the road they roost and hang out on for the day.

Picked out a spot yesterday for putting up the pop up blind. Will have a great view of their roosting area on a hillside and the apple orchard where they often times head to after flydown. Even marked the spot where I want to to put up the decoys for maximum visibility. Now, if they just cooperate and give my daughter an easy shot.... B)  

• Like 1

My best friends gotta work outta town this weekend so im takin his 15 year old brother out for his first bird, just Roosted 2 strutters tonight, weather's suppose to suck so hopefully I can put it together for him,

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Stopped by camp again this morning before daylight, on my way to work, to get in one more morning of listening before season. The mouthy gobbler was back roosting in his usual spot! He gobbled 129x, between 5:26-6:20am!! Last Sunday morning he gobbled 127X, before I watched him flydown! Funny that he only gobbles 1x after flydown though! Don't know if he has a sore throat or if he's already met his "Gobble quota" for the day?? :biggrin:

The weather isn't sounding as bad as they were saying earlier in the week! Low of 42 tonight (warmer than it has been overnight lately), spotty sunshine in the morning, 10-20mph wind, and risk of showers in the afternoon. Might be the best weather we've had during the youth season in the past 3 years!

Good luck everyone!

He gobbled 129x, between 5:26-6:20am!! Last Sunday morning he gobbled 127X, before I watched him flydown! Funny that he only gobbles 1x after flydown though! Don't know if he has a sore throat or if he's already met his "Gobble quota" for the day?? :biggrin:

Wow, CF, That boy sure likes to gobble up on the roost!

Good Luck with him and good luck to all the youth hunters this weekend...Hunt safe and have fun!