Youth season hunting thread

MACHINIST

I am pretty excited about taking my daughter out this sunday as its her first time out behind the gun.I have gotten a few other youth hunters their first crack at birds before but I am really hoping she gets a crack at one sunday for her.I will be takeing her out saturday evening to roost a bird and teaching her as much as I can.So post up what happens this weekend with pics of good times,birds down and general anything to do with a youth hunter.Good luck to all the lil hunters and their mentors,and most likely lets all be safe and have a great time!!!

• Like 5

that didnt take long...Congrats!!!

They flew down about 5:55 and he shot right around 6:30. Its a pretty young Jake with about a 1" beard. He was with 3 others. They were all gobbling and strutting out in a field. It was a perfect first hunt. The birds put on a great show and gave us a little bit of a fight, exactly what I wanted to happen.

At one time his leg was shaking so bad I had to put my hand on it to keep his gun from bouncing all over the place. He did great though and I was happy to be able to coach him through it. Definitely a great hunting moment. I couldn't have been more excited. We'll both be glowing for days.

It was a beautiful morning, very light breeze and no rain! A gobbler has been roosting ~1/2 way up on a hillside. I had a blind set up at the top of the hill and one at the bottom. It's been a crap-shoot, as to which way he has been heading after flydown. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. 

My daughter and I got setup in a ground blind that I constructed earlier, and got the decoys out, well before daylight. From my numerous scouting trips over the past few weeks, I knew we would probably be within ~75 yards of a very vocal gobbler. For the past week, he's started gobbling between 5:26-5:30am. He fired off his first gobble at 5:28 this morning, exactly 75 yards away, just about directly to our left and slightly in front of us! We could actually see him up on the roost, through some branches! Had the decoys set out ~12 yards in front of and to our right. Had everything planned out, thinking he would see the decoys, fly down, and walk directly across in front of us to get to the decoys. That was how I had it envisioned anyway....

After the first gobble, my daughter said her,  "Heart was pounding" and that, "She was as excited as a fat kid in a bakery"!   :biggrin:

The gobbler sat on the roost gobbling many times (50+)! I only called softly, maybe after every 6-8 of his gobbles. (Didn't want to come off too easy/slutty!   :spiteful: ) My daughter kept whispering and asking what he was waiting for to fly down? I told her that he might be waiting for the hens/decoys to go to him. After an hour, he started shuffling around on the roost and I told my daughter to get ready as it looked like he was getting his "landing gear" ready. An hour or so after his first gobble, he finally flew down, but off to the side of the hill. Just like he has for the past few weeks, he only gobbled 1x after touching down and continued walking out the side of the hill, towards the road and property that I can't hunt! Didn't see or hear any hens in the area, so just not sure why he didn't make a bee-line for my decoys! That's just how it goes sometimes!

Going back out mid-day, to pick out a spot to set up a blind along the hillside for tomorrow morning... That'll be "Plan C"!!   B)

Wish we had multiple birds to hunt, but we have slim pickins in my area! He's been the only gobbler roosting in the area! I've been out ~12 times listening at daylight over the past 3-4 weeks. For that reason, I don't hunt or shoot them myself, so my kids have something to hunt.

Well we roosted some birds last night and got within 80 yards of where they went in last night.We got all set up early this am and as it was getting light I still hadn't heard a gobble.I was getting a little worried as I really wanted my daughter to at least see some birds if not get a pop at one.So I pulled out my crow call and let out a few calls and they were right there.5 jakes glided down into the field and got within 50 yards of our blind but just would come the last 20 to get withing her comfort zone.The wandered off only to come back into the field to within 70 yards and then back into the woods and out of earshot.Oh well thats hunting.Her eyes looked like silver dollars when they gobbled on the roost and I swear I could hear her heart beating!!!HAHA Great day to spend with my girl!!

5jakes_zpsc52484bc.jpg

Edited by MACHINIST
  • Like 2