Binoculars Recommendation

Wanted to get a good pair of binoculars and would am looking for some recommendations. Mainly I would be using them in update NY to look across fields to gauge points and glass into the wood line, but would also like to start going on some hunts out west and use them to glass out there. Can anyone recommend a good pair and power? Thanks.

8x 30 or 32mm is all I'll EVER carry anymore.  Had 40mm & 42mm in 10x and don't want to lug that weight around and I can see plenty good with 8x.

I own Swarovski 8x30 SLC and 8x32 EL's now but have had a couple pairs of Leica, (8x and 10x) Leitz (8x) and Swarovski 10x42 SLC's and EL's.  Oh and Leica 8x20. 

If I lived out west I still wouldn't want anymore than 8x.

If you take this stuff seriously, spend all you can. You will not ever regret it, I promise.

• Like 1

I think an 8x or 10x in Vortex glass would suit you very well. I have a pair of Nikons that lasted 1 year before the seal went and they got moisture inside of them, and a pair of Bushnells that do ok. When I replace the Bushnells it will be Vortex glass for me. I use their rifle scopes and they are awesome, great price, lifetime warranty and great glass.

If you go out west, and want to see a long ways out, pick up a spotting scope to take along with your binos.

The only recommendation I can give is to try before you buy. Unless money is no object, quality control is a huge issue when buying optics. Try out a half dozen of the exact same make/model of glass in the store and you'll see a lot of variation in clarity, focus and distortion. You have to sort of do the QC yourself.

Lots of good info out there regarding what to look for in judging optical quality.

I've been using a pair of 8x23 compacts for the last 15 years. Wind River, "imported by Leupold". They're my go-to glasses for almost everything now, but I had to look through a bunch of them in a few different stores to get 'that' pair.

I've got a pair of Nikon monarch 10x40mm. I'm happy with them. Pulled all the binocs out of the case and tried them all that we're close to $400 or less. Nikon glass was slightly better but what sold me was depth of focus with my eyeballs. I could look at things different distances without straining by eyes and touching the dial as much. This is something that wins over many westerners that spend all day glassing. Vortex are good too. Swarovski are good but 3 times as much. Nikon edge are the similar cost along with others with similar design and glass.