Venison shanks???

anyone ever try slow roasting venison shanks?? read online that if you saw them in half and keep the meat on the bone and cook them real slow the meat is dynamite and you get a small amount of bone marrow. or make like a venison osso buco. I know there are a lot of tendons on the shanks but they said it breaks down actually adds flavor to the meat. never tried it myself but it sure does sound good. any input??

I knew an older German women who was always asking me about venison shanks and when I told her I threw them out she was like "Vat", give them to me. So I asked her how she prepares them and she did just that, slow cooked in a sauce with wine for many hours and claimed they were the finest part on a deer. I have never tried it but will next season probably in a tomato based/wine sauce with carrots, celery, onions etc.

Certainly worth a try...

I have had lamb shanks and veal shanks slow roasted  and they are succulent...

I'd be willing to try the deer shanks..

In 1999, four of us did a caribou hunt out of Dillingham, AK.

We boned out the backstraps and hindquarters to ship home and donated the rest of the meat to local people.

The locals were adament that they wanted the frontquarters on the bone, and also took the boned out hindquarters.

The folks who came to get the meat were very happy and grateful to get it.

Edited by Pygmy

I've made them a few times- it's my favorite cut.  The best way to cook them is to braise them long and slow.  And, they're actually better reheated than right out of the oven.  There are a lot of tendons in there.  But, the long slow cooking process melts most of them down into collagen and makes the meat tasty and tender.

I cut them with my meat saw about 2 inches thick and follow the exact same recipe for Osso Bucco and serve them over parmesan polenta.   Its some of the best eating there is! Once you've tried them you'll prize those shanks.  The rear shanks are meatier than the front but the front shanks are good too.  I tend to cut the front shanks a little higher up on the leg to make them a little meatier.  They come out very tender and tasty.  Photo below of venison Osso Bucco I made recently.  Let me know if you need an osso bucco recipe.

post-725-0-57654100-1404130185_thumb.jpg

Edited by adkbuck

I cut them with my meat saw about 2 inches thick and follow the exact same recipe for Osso Bucco and serve them over parmesan polenta.   Its some of the best eating there is! Once you've tried them you'll prize those shanks.  The rear shanks are meatier than the front but the front shanks are good too.  I tend to cut the front shanks a little higher up on the leg to make them a little meatier.  They come out very tender and tasty.  Photo below of venison Osso Bucco I made recently.  Let me know if you need an osso bucco recipe.

attachicon.gifVenison Osso Bucco 02 sm.jpg

Looks and sounds amazing!!! And yes, I would love to know your  osso buco recipe

Venison Osso  Bocco

4-8 Venison Rear shanks, about 2 ½ inches long, 2, 3 or 4 inches in diameter.  (Can also use front shanks but they are not as meaty)

1/3 cup flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp garlic powder

¼ cup olive oil

2 medium onions diced

2 stalk celery diced

2 large carrots peeled and sliced thick

4 cloves of garlic (minced)

¼ cup chopped parsely

½ cup red wine

Scant ½ tsp sweet basil

4-12 whole plum tomatoes (canned)

4 cups beef broth

In a large bowl combine flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder, dredge shanks coating on all sides.  In a heavy pot or skillet,  brown shanks in olive oil over medium heat.  Remove and add to a pot, covering with 4 cups of broth and several plum tomatoes.  Simmer for 2 – 2.5 hours.

Using some of the oil from the browning process  and sauté carrots, onions, celery for 6-8 minutes, add garlic then sauté another minute.

When shanks are tender remove from pot into an oven dish or roasting pan.  Add broth to vegetables and boil until reduced and slightly thick.  Pour juice over shanks and add additional tomatoes if available.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350 and serve.   Serve over parmesan polenta if possible.

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 2

THANKS, adk !!

Osso bucco is one of my favorite dishes.. I have had it made with beef and pork, but never venison. Can't wait to try it out.

If I ever am lucky enough to be in on another moose kill, I'll bet that moose shanks would make an awesome osso bucco also..

Damn...!! Now I'm HUNGRY...<<Pygmy salivates>>....

Pygmy,  You're mighty welcome. I have not been lucky enough to be in on a  moose kill but hear they are wonderful eating.  You would sure get plenty of beautiful shanks from one.  I keep putting in for the ME and NH Lotteries and each June I get the same old bad news.   Maybe someday!   I have had veal Osso Bucco several times before I tried the venison version.  But now I think I like the venison version better or at least as good.

• Like 1

Thanks ADK. Can't wit to try it. My Cousin  brought pig wings up to camp last year. Wonder if you could pull that off wit the venison as well. Same cut as used here. was very rich and tender.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/dining/pig-wings-as-tasty-morsels-take-flight-united-tastes.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Pygmy,  You're mighty welcome. I have not been lucky enough to be in on a  moose kill but hear they are wonderful eating.  You would sure get plenty of beautiful shanks from one.  I keep putting in for the ME and NH Lotteries and each June I get the same old bad news.   Maybe someday!   I have had veal Osso Bucco several times before I tried the venison version.  But now I think I like the venison version better or at least as good.

Veal osso buco at Pleasant Valley Inn near Hammondsport...YUMMM !!!!

I am not a big veal fan, either, but that stuff is so good that I am surpised it's not ILLEGAL...<<grin>>...

• Like 1

Guys,

A Few years back we went out west to visit my Son and his family and we had dinner at a restaurant run by a fellow named Wolfgang Puck.  I ordered Veal Osso Bucco and it was served over parmesan polenta. It was so good it melted in your mouth.  Ever since I have made polenta to accompany the Venison Osso Bucco.  Here is a link to the recipe plus a short Video on how to make polenta.  

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-polenta

• 4 weeks later...