used ATV advice needed

thinking of picking up a used wheeler but don't know much about them, looking for general advice on what I should be looking for when I go take a look at them, if anyone is really knowledgeable on them would love to talk to you in PM as I have a deal that sounds real sweet but have some hesitations, thanks

Look for tight steering, should not be any play in the steering. Grab each axle and see if there's play. There shouldn't be any. Check the frame out for cracks at the welds as best you can. Dented rim lips are an indicator it may have been ridden hard. Of course no leaking oil...Cracked or deformed plastics may indicate serious hard use also...All features should work: brakes, differentials, 4x4 buttone/levers..lights etc

Whatcha looking at?

Good luck

• Like 1

Most ATVs are ridden hard. Good advice above. Don't just have them start it and let it idol. Drive it if you can. It'll tell if it truly runs. If the plastic is faded it means it's been left outside unless it's older. If it's older then keep in mind parts are more expensive. I had an 85' quad racer until a couple years ago and just an air filter was $40.

When I started to look for a used atv, I discovered that with careful shopping I could buy a new one for essentially the same - the big balancer being a great interest rate and new machine warranty. Except for beaters, I couldn't find anything that would have been considered a good buy. Generally, good name ATVs hold their value very well. I found a two model year old machine for almost a grand less than its current year equivalent, with a great loan deal. For a used machine, a loan would have been closer to 9%.

If you're set on used, then the advice given by steve936 is right on. I would add….look at the body. If the plastic fenders are broken or cracked then it was probably ridden hard. If the plastic is faded, the ATV was more than likely stored outside….Not good. 

The older the previous owner the better…In most cases.

I'm no expert, but most things with a gas powered engine is easy to tell how much tlc has gone into it. Simple checks of the dip stick, air filter, etc can show good maintenance. Anyone can clean up an atv to sell it. But if you really look into the crevices you can see how well it was kept. I've bought a decent amount of used power equipment, and I know it's not always true or fair, but a look around a guys garage can help give you an idea too. Generally clean and organized or old nice cars etc will be a sign of a guy who takes care of his stuff.

All that being said a guy who might just use his atv to haul deer is your best bet for quality but you will also pay for that.

Sound advice.  thanks!, The atv I was looking at basically looks brand new although a 2008, it has 250'ish miles on it, I was not considering a used one but this one came up at a great price from a friend of a friend, actually I wasn't even considering a 4 wheeler and was thinking more on a side x side until this deal came up, think I will seal the deal this week