what is is your pack

fisher2

Depends on where I'm hunting...when I go to the ADKs and hunt I'm out all day and don't always know exactly where I am or gonna be so my pack then would have....lighter smokes snacks water knife compass (or 2) at least 50' rope extra socks gloves and hat a few plastic bags (grocery bag style) flashlight and extra bats and extra ammo...and I always have my paracord sling on when I'm up there...think that's it and can normally keep in 20#.

All day, at least 3 or 4 Gatorade bottles filled with water, especially if hiking. Snickers minis, Mounds minis. dried salami, chunk of cheese and a sandwich. That's on top of the basics, knife, drag harness, limb nipper, bino's, compass, grunt call, flashlite, extra underlayment/thermal for upper body. And this all varies greatly depending where I'm hunting, more items if I'm heading out to wide open state land and less if I'm hitting tree stands or blinds on my property.

If hunting in the wilderness (i.e. ADK backcountry)

These items can all be contained in a mid sized fanny pack or small back pack.  Navigational and communications gear in pockets.

1. Strike anywhere matches and 2 lighters

2, 2 or 3 compasses (one of which has a luminous dial, tritium preferred)

3. GPS

4. Cell phone

5 Drag rope

6. At least 10 spare rounds in addition to magazine

7. License & tags

8. Collapsible water cup

9. Quart or 2 quart plastic bags for treating water or 1 quart plastic canteen.

10. Iodine tablets (or water treatment system if you can spare the room)

11, Pen for filling out tags or making notes

12. Space Blanket

13.Topo Maps

14. Hunting knife

15. Small foldable camp saw

16. Small first aid kit

17. Small roll of electrical tape

18. Small amount of toilet paper or paper towels

19. Light weight rain top

20. Head lamp with spare batteries

21 Folded garbage bag for sitting on logs and watching trails

22. Small amount of duct tape for feet (in case of blisters)

23. Grunt call and/or bleat call

24. Small amount of flagging tape

25 Small section of candle for staring a fire.

26. A few chocolate bars or brownies and a couple of apples.

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 1

I used to go very light, only what I could fit in the pockets of my pants and coat. I found out I should carry more after shooting a deer about a mile from camp and had to drag it back alone. Here is what I carry in a normal camo backpack I picked up at Wal-Mart.

Drag rope, multitool, zip ties, matches, lighter,2 pens, hand wipes, paper towels, paracord, water bottles, trail mix, sandwiches, bananas( helps with cramping muscles) and Apple Danish(my favorite) extra gloves, extra grunt tube, rattle bag, flashlight, extra knife and a small sharpener to put an edge back on any blade. I also use a butt stock cartridge holder for extra ammo.

If hunting in the wilderness (i.e. ADK backcountry)

These items can all be contained in a mid sized fanny pack or small back pack. Navigational and communications gear in pockets.

1. Strike anywhere matches and 2 lighters

2, 2 or 3 compasses (one of which has a luminous dial, tritium preferred)

3. GPS

4. Cell phone

5 Drag rope

7. License & tags

8. Collapsible water cup

9. Quart or 2 quart plastic bags for treating water or 1 quart plastic canteen.

10. Iodine tablets (or water treatment system if you can spare the room)

11, Pen for filling out tags or making notes

12. Space Blanket

13.Topo Maps

14. Hunting knife

15. Small foldable camp saw

16. Small first aid kit

17. Small roll of electrical tape

18. Small amount of toilet paper or paper towels

19. Light weight rain top

20. Head lamp with spare batteries

21 Folded garbage bag for sitting on logs and watching trails

22. Small amount of duct tape for feet (in case of blisters)

23. Grunt call and/or bleat call

24. Small amount of flagging tape

25 Small section of candle for staring a fire.

26. A few chocolate bars or brownies and a couple of apples.

Half of this list is in my pockets!

Small back pack: But it gets filled when hunting the ADK late season, less clothes on LI or early bow. 

1. Flashlights at least 3 with spare bulbs, headlamp. (I get stuck in the dark often.)
  2. Extra batteries
  3. Triple decker Turkey, ham and cheese w/mustard sandwich in clear Tupperware, chips, Milky Way bar, granola fruit and nut bars, apple. 
  4. Soda, lemonade, water, Gatorade.
  5. Extra sweats and packable raingear.  Extra socks and gloves in Ziploc bag.
  6. Many lighters
  7. Many buck tubes and 3 doe in heat cans
  8. First Aid kit
  9. Drag rope
  10. Knife
  11. Extra ammo 5-7 rounds
  12. Clip on compass extra in back pack, spare in knife
  13. GPS 
  14. Maps
  15. Emergency blanket
  16. Hockey tape
  17. Para Cord
  18. Toilet paper in double Ziploc
  19. Hot seat is tied to back pack and stuffed under it when hiking.
  20. Cleaning gloves that I seem to never use.
  21. Magnesium fire starter
  22. Cell phone except in the ADK, no signal
  23. Folding saw
  24. 2 way radio if I am not solo
  25. 3 pens
  26. One extra boot lace.
  27. Extra hat, full ski face mask, neck warmer, bandanas and balaclava.  
  28. Wallet with tags and any permits in Ziploc.

1. Usually by the 4th day I need to bring Advil! 
  2. One man tent and water purifier for overnight scouting/hunting, I have yet to do this!  One for my bucket list.
  3. Crampons if it gets that bad, lucky for me not yet!
  4. Go Pro w/remote, sometimes.
  5. Binoculars , I rarely use them but see it's a valuable tool to invest in. 

Here is my list of what I pack anywhere I hunt or guide hunters on their trip. This pack list is very light weight, but has all the basic survival tools to stay safe and survive for 3-5 days if you become lost or break an ankle and cant walk having to wait for rescue. 

small fixed blade knife, very sharp

compass, because GPS is heavier and batt's go dead or signal cant be found

small sandwich, for lunch

small candies, a few for emergency only

10 feet of good rock climbers rope tied up in a small tight bundle, for deer drag or tourniquet or building shelter  

3 extra rounds

extra pair of socks

fire starting flint and striker, this is very small

small first aid kit to handle broken bones, bad cuts, allergic reactions, snake bite, water tablets ect...

head strap head lamp

emergency blanket

1 quart bottle filled with water and refilled everywhere I find clean water

sports whistle for rescuers to hear

small back packers roll of TP

my cell phone, 911 can locate you by cell signal for emergency

2 big kitchen trash bags, black with no holes in it rolled up tight with rubber bands for meat or rain gear or cut open for shelter roof

Good luck to you all this season and stay safe out there!

My pack will vary in size depending on what im doing. But on a all day hunt I would have the basics plus a few more things. It's good to have things you may never need and hope to not need them.

Rope, Knife, Few lighters, Small first aid kit, Something to eat lol a all day hunt can get long.

Other than rope, knifes, add lighters everyones packs are different.

The reason why I say at least 10 rounds is for signaling. I was hunting along the Maine/Quebec border near Jackman Maine a few years back. I picked a nice track mid afternoon about a mile or two from the truck. That buck that was headed the "wrong way" (my poor judgment to follow that late in the day). While I "didn't really got lost" I did get a bit confused after night fell. After dark your spare rounds are a means of communication. My buddy shot me out. We wound up using about 7 or 8 rounds each. I was glad I had the extra ammo. I was able to get a bearing on the truck and avoid acres of tree tops that were in the area. That night I had a nice dinner in Jackman instead of spending the night in the woods or crawling though slash.

Lunch, drinks, snack, cigars (maybe) rain gear (maybe) extra clothing (maybe) extra socks (maybe) flashlight,

camera, knife (one should already be on my person) and a hunk of rope.

What'd I miss?

Well, just the most important part, the egg salad sammies,  and something to wash them down with, LOL.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Knife,  small saw, extra ammo, water, toilet  paper,paper towel, candy bars, toilet paper, granola bars, toilet paper, utility knife (leatherman) toilet paper, sandwiches (some times) toilet paper, cell phone, toilet paper, rope & toilet paper. You can't be too prepared.

• Like 2

Wet wipes are way better then TP. Does a better job, and can wash hands after with another one.

As for first aid kits I highly recommend Quick Clot and Combat Gauze . If you ever cut an artery ,vein,or take a bullet it can save your life. You can carry both in a shirt pocket and not know they are there.

• Like 1

You can change your pack depending on your requirements.  I have much less clothes during early season bow.

I usually go with a full pack except on LI where the cold weather issue and the possibility of spending a night is slim to none. 

My spare ammo is my 3 arrows for bow season but that is usually solo and much less clothes, rain gear is always packed regardless of predictions.  All that extra gear ensures a warm day especially when it gets nasty out.  This ensures I will stay in the woods all day until shooting time is over.  If you get out of the woods before dark every hunt I can understand loosing the pack completely but for those who tend to venture where most do not a well packed back pack is essential. 

When I start to panic as I realize I am still deep in thick woods and it is getting dark, my back pack calms my nerves, ensures my safety and lights the way out.  Glow in the dark compass is a life saver.  

Forgot about the wet wipes, they clean up nice when its messy!  Combat gauze, thanks Larry302 something else to add!  Like I don't have enough, lol.

My dream is to go out with gun/ bow and a knife, light simple no fuss. Then oh I need a pen to fill out tags,ok a headlamp ,haul rope,harness,binos are nice to have ok some food and water,like to have extra gloves and face mask as I seem to loose them.

Never go out with out Atomic Fireballs.

Before I know it I got half of Gander Mt in my pack. Which is ok I like to be prepaired .

• Like 1

Drag, gutting gloves, butt out,zip ties, extra Surefire batteries, TP, extra gloves, orange vest ( I wear only camo in and out as it's dark), bottle of water, maybe thermos of coffee, few extra slugs or turkey loads, snacks. sammich, extra warm hat, rain umbrella to strap to tree overhead, Gerber tool in case optics come loose. A lot of stuff but I dark to dark it in my climber a lot. Mine as well have it than not. 

• Like 1

Just the basics: Knife, rope, limb clippers, break-down saw, Water bottle, drag rope, 2-way radio to keep in touch with hunting partners, small first aid kit, matches and tinder, bio degradable tracking tape, gloves, hat....stuff like that.

My gear varies a bit with the weather and where I end up hunting.

If close to vehicle:

• license
  • head lamp
  • mini maglite
  • pocket knife (back up to the hunting knife on my belt)
  • 1 liter of water
  • spare gloves
  • hot hands
  • large hot pad
  • pen
  • compass
  • map of local area
  • FRS radio
  • cell phone
  • apple
  • game calls
  • rope
  • deer drag
  • trail marker tape
  • lighter
  • hot seat or backpacking stool
  • game cleaning gloves
  • contact drops
  • whistle for signaling in emergency
  • small first aid kit

Further out or sitting all day add the following:

• back packing stove & fuel
  • Back packing pot
  • another liter of water
  • 2nd apple
  • ramen noodles
  • freeze dried cider packet
  • insulated cup
  • eating utensil
  • crackers
  • granola bars
  • sandwich
  • extra knit hat
  • extra set of warm gloves
  • glasses & contact case

If snow is expected slip-on ice crampons like Yak traks

Edited by Two Track

all the stuff i normally bring in the woods plus some pb&j sandwhiches and water bottle and maybe a monster energy drink.

I always have some powerbars, lighter, toilet paper and knife plus calls, tags, marking tape, flashlight, gutout gloves, phone, zipties and pen.

I don't hunt out there too far usually.  so just a sports bottle with something like Gatorade, a sandwich bag full of jerky, field size bottle of scent control spray, wind checker/puffer, folding hunting knife, tp, field dressing gloves, and flashlight.  don't need a pack as it usually fits in my clothing pockets.

deep back woods/Adirondacks it'd be same, minus scent spray for bug spray, add in more jerky or Cliff bars, more water, magnesium fire stick, cotton/Vaseline balls in film canister, manageable rope, pocket set allen wrenches or small multi purpose screw driver, couple cheese cloth meat sacs, tin can, small saw, and small 5x6 tarp.  ....pack to put it in.

I have a big pack as I always have what most of the guys said, plus being a older hunter got to have extra sweater or jacket to keep me warm if I am sitting all day. I try to walk in without a lot of the heavy togs on so I do not sweat up. I also have a small fm radio in the pack to use during those mid day times during the bow season, and it has a ear plug so it makes zero noise. I have shot two deer with it on as I had a 50's rock and roll station on...

• Like 1