QDM co-op

so a while ago i posted about my parents farm and neighboring landowners forming a qdm co-op with direction from qdma.  looks like it's going to happen. everyone is signed up at this point.  now just have to have another meeting to lay out guidelines and initial startup details with the others.  i'll give another update when we've had the next meeting. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

WITH THAT KIND OF PROPERTY AND ALL OF YOU BEING ON THE SAME PAGE WITH QDM PRACTICES, FOOD PLOTS AND SUCH AND NOT MUCH AG FIELDS. YOU'LL BE REWARDED BIG TIME, IT WILL JUST TAKE ABOUT 3 YEARS TIL YOU REALLY SEE IT.. WE HAVE BEEN DOING IT WITH ABOUT 50% OF OUR NEIGHBORS FOLLOWING QDM FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW AND THERE ARE A TON OF DEER 2-1/2 AND OLDER. USUALLY GET PICS OF ATLEAST 3 DIFFERENT BUCKS OVER 140" EVERY YEAR. COVERING MAYBE ONLY 1000 ACRES TOTAL..  ITS AWESOME!

haven't really set goals yet still just getting people set on the concept.  there's the recommendation of a 15" outside spread we've gotten from other co-ops.  it's so big that I think rules/recommendations will be put out there with a period of so many weeks to get feedback negative or otherwise.  if the majority concensus is accepting of it then that will be it.  to members of the co-op will be ASKED to follow that.  then after this first season we'll have meetings to see how things went and what should be changed.  that's how I foresee it needing to go down.  right now it's a mad dash to get those signed on that want to be and get the application for tags in.  land owners also need to make sure they're "POSTED" on all sides.  Don't put out QDM or QDMA signage.  Just post it.

Sorry, I use caps lock at work and forget to change it. my apology. Its tough to get good results with qdm the first few years but if you can hold off atleast 3 years practicing qdm, you'll enjoy the rewards I promise. Its tough to keep everyone on the same page with it, especially with so many people. We started with only having bucks outside their ears and 8 points plus, but thats not the best way either. its really hard to get and keep everyone on the same page. so now we just go with the motto, " if you shoot it you mount it" typically people wont mount 1.5 or 2.5 year old bucks year after year so it helps some. But again we only get around 50% cooperation. We still noticed a good increase in buck age structure body weights, you name it.

THATS AWESOME! AND WITH THE 15" RULE. ITS A GOOD START TO GET PEOPLE HARVESTING JUST A LITTLE BETTER THAN AVERGAE BUCK. THEN AS YOU SAY TAKE BIGGER STEPS DOWN THE ROAD.. I WISH WE COULD GET ALL OUR SURROUNDING NEIGHBORS TO DO SO. WERE GONNA TRY AND SCHEDULE A "PICNIC" SOME WEEKEND WITH EVERYONE AND TRY TO GET MORE ON BOARD.

Ours is all at will. There is no signing of anything. I wish we could be that strict. Myself and a few neighbors are that serious about it, but trying to get everyone in on the same page is near impossible. We have tried holding out for 4-1/2 and 5-1/2 yr old bucks but with our non participating neighbors surrounding us and it doesnt work. Sowe have found that we can harvest 3-1/2yr old bucks nearly every year and still be satisfied. Its tough though. The others just dont understand and or have the itch to just fill tags and draw blood. Both really. but i respect it, they pay their taxes and such too, just wish we could be as serious with a co-op qdm

Signing up is basically only saying hey I agree with what you're trying to do here and I'll work with ya. None of it is legally binding. No fines for breaking the rules. We're going to leave rule breakers to the mercy of the land owner who's rep they just tarnished. If land owner is the culprit we as a group will talk with them to see why they are doing so. If both sides can't come to terms then. They'll be told they aren't considered as part of the group but are welcome at any point they want to change. Then the only correspondence they'll get is pictures of great bucks and things happening within the co-op they chose not to be apart of.

Any restrictions for buck size has to be excepted by all of at least meeting in the middle to be fair. The focus is to protect 1.5 and most 2.5 yr old busk for herd balance and efficient quick rut to help all deer through the winter and start better off the following spring. Some neighbors within the coop might be at a level to get bucks to 4.5+ but that's not feasible or required for the coop as a whole as some May know.

With this the land owner retains all the power. They pay the taxes so why shouldn't they? Hunters crossing boundaries is no different than before. Just because you're a coop member doesn't mean you get to roam free. If someone keeps trespassing it's for the game warden to handle if talks between neighbors don't work. Generally it's not an issue as neighbors respect each other more, communicate more, and many times become closer friends when in a coop.

One thing we were told to do first is post all sides As a landowner in the coop. Then something to implement are passes/hang tag. you leave on your vehicle dash that say who you're hunting on and who you are. I the game warden sees a truck parked along the road on the back side of your property with no tag they can hangout or comeback to see what the deal is. They're now protecting your land for you and in some cases have a list of who hunts a property. These are some things some coops or landowners do.

I hear you there. I defiantely would not post "qdm private property" .. but as you said keep it legally posted at all times. On my way to and from work, i pass a couple properties that are posted with QDM signs, i mean its cool to see but like you mentioned, its an open invite that the deer herd there may be better than usual and hunting pressure may rise.

I really do wish we could do what you have started there, at my place. Im going to keep on top of my neighbors with this issue and try to pursue this. That would be my dream. Even just from the 50/50 passing up of young bucks we have a better herd all around. I'd post pics to show you but I cant sem to load photos on here.

Im searching into QDM co-op leases for next year, whether i join a club or find qdm co-op farm i can lease myself. Its a passion.

I hear you there. I defiantely would not post "qdm private property" .. but as you said keep it legally posted at all times. On my way to and from work, i pass a couple properties that are posted with QDM signs, i mean its cool to see but like you mentioned, its an open invite that the deer herd there may be better than usual and hunting pressure may rise.

I really do wish we could do what you have started there, at my place. Im going to keep on top of my neighbors with this issue and try to pursue this. That would be my dream. Even just from the 50/50 passing up of young bucks we have a better herd all around. I'd post pics to show you but I cant sem to load photos on here.

Im searching into QDM co-op leases for next year, whether i join a club or find qdm co-op farm i can lease myself. Its a passion.

That will be the way of the future for many. Bigger animals and a much better"Hunting" experience with older age animals. The only problem is the price hunters will pay to enjoy the sport will rise.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Yes, I have noticed more and more hunters starting to let 1.5 and 2.5 yr old bucks walk in the last couple years.. Me preaching it all the time may have pursuaded them some I am sure. It would be great to see a better age class of bucks running these New York woods. This state definately has the potential to do so, in most counties.

The price of everything will rise as usual. Everything hunting related, draws this state along with the nation an unbelievable amount of income. I agree it will only get tougher to persue our dreams, financially and physically.

Land is hard to come by. Coops like this are the future. It builds a relationship with your neighbor so you can recover that deer that died over the fence and allows you not to feel obligated to shoot the first thing that may come across your small tract of land. You be a deer paradise on a little piece of what you call home. Often big tracts of land get divided with each passing generation and that is the inevitable truth.