READ THIS----- IMPORTANT COMMERCIAL HUNTING of NYS DEER

eagle rider

According the that article, the only party promoting or discussing commercial hunting is the author. There is no reference to any state agency considering the practice, although that is what the author is calling for.

Edited by jrm

The DEC has always said that hunters are there primary tool for controlling the deer population. But their other methods. Right now wild game can not be sold for food the wild game you buy or go out to dinner and buy is raised on farms. Those law's would have to be changed and some of those laws are federal. The deer would also have to be killed and butchered in a FDA approved facility. I think the author is from long island where hunting is restricted and the deer herd is out of control.

Yes, all the replies have got it right. There is nothing that indicates that the DEC has any of these thoughts in their minds. Fear not..... it is only some misguided opinion of one person that most likely is shared by no one .... other than farmers, nurseries, foresters, insurance companies and some home-owners or victims of car/deer collisions and perhaps those that might figure there is a buck in it for themselves ....lol.

• Like 1

I like how many say we need a longer season. If ya cant get it done in the seasons we have in this state, you aint gunna get it done! You will see more of this talk because the hunting world is changing and most want good big healthy deer with bone on their heads.                                                                                                                                                  Some on here say no but when you look at the price of the land people are eating up for hunting and what they pay to high fence, its a proven fact. A guy does not pay thousands to hunt any land and go in looking for a nice size doe!

I don't discount the possibility some day. I do know that the DEC is all the time changing things to increase deer take, and it seems that we may be reaching a point where hunters are not capable of taking care of the populations in some areas of the state. Who knows, with more and more land becoming locked up and inadequately harvested, the state may some day entertain such an idea in targeted areas. I doubt that I will ever see it, or even my kids, or even my grandkids. But never say never.

• Like 1

I don't discount the possibility some day. I do know that the DEC is all the time changing things to increase deer take, and it seems that we may be reaching a point where hunters are not capable of taking care of the populations in some areas of the state. Who knows, with more and more land becoming locked up and inadequately harvested, the state may some day entertain such an idea in targeted areas. I doubt that I will ever see it, or even my kids, or even my grandkids. But never say never.

I wouldnt go that far Doc! You are as old or older than i am and look at rhe changes in hunting since the 70's! I see big money taking over hunting sooner than later. Bigger farms eating land and more people in the world every day.

Lets not even talk about how many less hunters there are every year and sportsmen fighting with each other over high fence and such, and all the while animal activist groups grows stronger every day.