Gander ad misleading

Woodjr55

So I received a ad from gander in the mail last week and saw that that had a savage trophy hunter 111 with scope combo for 400 bucks after a mail in rebate. So I went in to gander yesterday to see if they had any. First off I don't like gander at all but I figured for that price I couldn't go wrong. I want a new 223 so I figured I couldn't beat the deal. Well after standing a the gun counter for 45 minutes trying to locate the gun. (Why can't gander have a better price tag system on their guns) a guy finally comes over. I tell him what I want. He grabs a savage that's 579.00 I tell him that's not right. Well he gets an ad and looks it up and tells me oh you can only get those in 270 and 30-06. Well after that I was pretty fed up. Only 2 more weeks till cabelas opens

• Like 3

Sure, that's like the huge sign strapped on the wall outside of the Henrietta gander Mountain store that says "clearance sale 75% off". well that's not quite right..... there is a little "up to" in front of the 75%....lol.

Inside the store I couldn't really finds anything that was 75% off. There probably was a pair of socks hidden somewhere that was 75% off....lol. I'll admit tat that is an old trick used by many different stores, but the intent to mislead is quite plain.

Sure I am getting real picky with them because when they first came to town, it was the greatest outdoor store anywhere. And then little by little the prices kept climbing and the stock kept diminishing, and the service kept getting worse and the quality of store associates got worse until now I no longer make a special trip up there for anything because I know they won't have whatever I am needing. The only time I stop there is if I happen to be in the area for other reasons and want to see if anything has changed (which it never does). However hope is on the horizon as other companies are making plans to move into the area. Gander will either shape up or ship out.

• Like 1

no it said calibers varied by store

So some stores do offer it in 223 ?? What a load of crap. Gander is great at the small print s#!t. A lot of their clothes racks will say 60% off. When you check out the cashiers tell you "well thats up to 60 or what ever % off on certain clothes in that rack. ……Sure enough if you look at the large print sign on the rack, thats what it says in print smaller than Im typing right now. Why not just post  it in bold type??? I think that they figure once people get to the cash registers, most of them will be too shy to say something, but it really just pisses people off.

So some stores do offer it in 223 ?? What a load of crap. Gander is great at the small print s#!t. A lot of their clothes racks will say 60% off. When you check out the cashiers tell you "well thats up to 60 or what ever % off on certain clothes in that rack. ……Sure enough if you look at the large print sign on the rack, thats what it says in print smaller than Im typing right now. Why not just post it in bold type??? I think that they figure once people get to the cash registers, most of them will be too shy to say something, but it really just pisses people off.

no I think that deal was only for a 270 or 3006 combo

Amen to that,,,I called the on line then the local store and spoke to manager on a product they should ...use to..but don't now sell... All other hunting stores are carrying the product...yet they carry products from that brand name...24hrs ...that manager has just one more day to call or I will spend my early morning hrs tracking down corporate #'s and raising hell...Why? ...because it's hot and I'm feeling a tad pissy toward stores in general.... :aggressive:

• Like 1

Amen to that,,,I called the on line then the local store and spoke to manager on a product they should ...use to..but don't now sell... All other hunting stores are carrying the product...yet they carry products from that brand name...24hrs ...that manager has just one more day to call or I will spend my early morning hrs tracking down corporate #'s and raising hell...Why? ...because it's hot and I'm feeling a tad pissy toward stores in general.... :aggressive:

You should go right to corporate. The stores can only sell what corporate sends them. I don't know how many times I have gotten a GM sales flyer (which is a nation wide flyer) and half of the stuff on sale is not even in the local store,

ads have been written for years with eye catching large print with the hidden exclusions and restrictions hidden elsewhere in tiny print and I'm pretty sure it's not a tactic that is only used by Gander Mountain.....car dealership ads are the absolute worst.

ads have been written for years with eye catching large print with the hidden exclusions and restrictions hidden elsewhere in tiny print and I'm pretty sure it's not a tactic that is only used by Gander Mountain.....car dealership ads are the absolute worst.

Of course that reply is not to excuse shady tactics of merchandising ..... right?

Thats where calling comes in I know I told the story of Dicks and a Mossberg 20ga they had in a flyer on sale...wrong price really low  around 200 with tax  ...I called and asked 3 different ppl. one a manager if they had the 20ga and if the price in add was correct...for I was driving a long ways  with 2 small kids...No problem...until I got there and went to check out...something like a 100.00 dollars more...I started out nice...2ppl later not so much...by the time  I saw the manager I was causing such a seen he said give it to her for the ad price and get her out of here....Yep I do like calling ahead and making sure I get names...lol

Ohhhh PS they claimed the ad had wrong price printed...why thats just too bad...lol

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen a store OTHER THAN Gander Mountain with a banner as large with that type of deceptive ad stating 75% off. Like mentioned, good luck finding anything useful at that discount. Oh, maybe some old marshmallow peanuts or size 6 men's Guide Wear POS boot...........

Lord I can't stand that place.

I wonder if they ever see these reviews regarding their store? You know some of the employees must frequent this forum........wish they'd chime in.

• Like 1

Well they won't have to worry about their shotty store when cabelas opens.. I could walk to the gander in tonawanda from my house n I will gladly drive the extra 15-20 minutes to cabelas... Back home I was used to having a bass pro down the street toget whatever I wanted n I was bumbed when all I had was gander n dicks ...

I've been disappointed by nearly every retail store and brand on earth.

BPS in Auburn is convenient but rarely has items that match the internet or catalogue.

Same with the Cabellas down in Eastern PA.

I personally find all large retailers to be nearly equally inept...other than guns I buy most of my stuff online or from my archery pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't speak for this ad or Gander since I've shopped at one of their stores only a few times.  I love Cabelas, and think their customer service is great, but I don't see many pluses to having a Cabelas in NYS.  Now we have to pay sales tax on mail orders which will really stink.  Also, their prices aren't anything to write home about in the last 10 years or so, since they became a publicly traded company.  They are getting quite expensive.  Many times a store like Dick's will sell the same item for considerably less.  The only time you save a few bucks is when you shop their bargain caves which are best on-line.  The bargain cave in the PA store I've been to a few times didn't have anything great.  If you are a lard butt and weigh 375lbs, then you'll find a few good deals on the XXXL garments, otherwise not a heck of a lot.  If you become a Visa club member, you end up with some freebie stuff if you spend enough money on your credit card, which is great, but again you'll be losing a few bucks to tax now that they are established in NY.  They may be better than Gander, but in the long run you won't be saving a great deal over other stores.

• Like 1