turnips

So little disappointed in the over seed turnips...pounding rain..only a few sprouted in those very very short beans...hhhmmm ...So I went down and tilled a 100yrds trail and 200ft trail..so tired but now headed down to throw down the seed before this next rain hits...pulled card down there were 164 pics...going to go view them now...while back rests a bit.

I fear for the untreated seed every time I plant. A dry or wet spell can destroy the seed.

I type this as the Lake Effect heavy thunder storms  with heavy rain and pea size hail, continue to pound us. One and a half inches of rain since noon. Now flood warnings in effect. Ditches are filling rapidly. Looks like a hold on radish planting for a while.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Darn it !  just suppose to rain here but we usually end up with your weather...I never watch Rochester weather what ever buffalo and that general area gets travels right across to us. Just dropped the seed over those plots..combo of TTT and PT

Cam was filled with fawn and doe ..a raccoon...and possum...maybe one buck but in the shadows and I couldn't make out the night pic.

Good luck with this weather..you and a few others have had a rough summer

Got my turnip seeds in the ground this morning. Over seeded with clover and rye. Was a great morning to plant. Ground was nice and moist from yesterday's rain and held the seeds well. I Will post a pic (hopefully) when they start to shoot up.

TTT looked great up with 6-8 in. leaves...noticed yellowing ..checked and they are sitting in an inch of standing water.....same area two different planting times...second one a bunch washed or rotted away...but PT trails are looking awsome straightening disc blades and I'm going in and do a light discing in lower beans next week...may take some out but will be discing in a grain crop with maybe a clover...

PLANTED ANTLER KING HONEY HOLE 3 WEEKS AGO AND ARE ALREADY 6 INCHES TALL SOME TALLER. I USUALLY PLANT WTI WINTER GREENS AND TURNIPS WITH GREAT RESULTS BUT WANTED TO TRY THIS OUT. THE SOYBEANS I PLANTED WERE HAMMERED ON BY DEER AND WOODCHUCKS, SHORT FROM HEAVY HEAVY BROWSE, SO THERE GETTING LIGHTLY DISCED IN AND SEEDED WITH WTI TURNIPS THIS WEEK. CANT GO WRONG. AND WHITETAIL OATS WILL BE GOING IN EARLY SEPTEMBER!

We got all of our plots in this past weekend. Turnips, hogradish, winter peas, rape, some other stuff as well. The soaking rains yesterday and today should be perfect to get things going.

We were able to get 4 plots done in one day this year thanks to the new tiller. We will probably never use the disc again lol.

We were able to get 4 plots done in one day this year thanks to the new tiller. We will probably never use the disc again lol.

I bought a tiller for the tractor and love it!  Best money I've spent in a while.  I still had to plow up the field to remove the roots.  But the tiller makes quick work compared to the discs.

• Like 1

I have a 23hp that pulls a one bottom just fine. I'm sure you could pull it with 28, problem is one bottoms are not cheap.

AGREED, THE TILLER IS AWESOME! I JUST USE ROUDUP, A WEEK EARLIER, TO KILL THE ROOTS BEFORE I TILL. PLUS I DONT BELIEVE MY 28HP HYDRO DIESEL WOULD PULL A PLOW.. MAYBE.. CURIOUS TO KNOW

I put in almost 4 acres of forage turnips end of July.  This was in 6 plots in various places.  I got the seed out of maine.  I was very pleased with price and shipping.  I went over to camp on Tuseday.  They are coming well.  I have to agree that having the right tools sure does make it easier.  The jd tractor with a tiller  pull the spreader behind 1 4 wheeler and the ag roller behind another 4 wheeler.  Makes planting pretty quick.  Got them all in in the span of a morning.  But these plots have been there for a while.  Limed and fertilized earlier in the spring.  next year I think two will be come clover again.  

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1