A Letter To All Sportsman Clubs

July 20, 2014

To all Sportsman clubs and their members,

My name is Gary Hebert and I am president of the North Troy Stag Rod and Gun Club. With over 500 members, we are located in northern Rensselaer County, upstate New York. Like your club, our membership is made up of Democrats, Republicans and Independents who have all been impacted by the SAFE Act and eroding gun rights. As a body of roughly 6,000,000 gun owners in NYS we can make history by working together and removing Governor Andrew Cuomo from office. Here are some grass roots things we can all do to leverage our collective power:

• Register to vote - and vote!

• Help other gun owners register to vote and even offer a ride to the polls.

• Talk to all gun owners, particularly those who sometimes just don’t get around to voting. This is a very important fringe group and they could be persuaded to support a common cause and maybe even cast the deciding vote.

• Stay aware of pending legislation such as micro-stamping.

• Support Rob Astorino for governor with your vote and financial support. If every gun owner donated $5.00 to his campaign then there would be a level playing field. Simply stated, Rob Astorino needs money to beat Andrew Cuomo and we can help. Send financial support to:

Rob Astorino for Governor

PO Box 14

South Salem, NY 10590

Or call 914-481-3672

You may also donate on-line @ www.astorinoforgovernor.com

I can’t overstate the importance of this issue and the collective power we have. Pass this along to your club members, friends and neighbors. Then have them pass it along. Put this in your own words, do what you have to do, but stick to your guns and get the word out!

Thank You,

Gary Hebert

(518) 663-5463

Club Mail: PO Box 272 Cohoes, NY 12047

Club GPS Address: 165 Cushman Rd. Melrose, NY

www.northtroystag.org

Six million gun owners in NY state? Well, then, why not organize a petition to impeach him and circumvent this silly election?

Yeah, those numbers seems high to me, too.  Even if there are that many, I'd say less than a million are hardcore gun-rights supporters and that's not enough to oust Cuomo on this one issue.  I know plenty of people who own guns, but it's not like they think about guns every minute of the day, and are willing to spend time and money fighting gun laws.  Some will call them traitors, but you can't force anyone into anything.  Not everyone is hardcore and you can't get pissed at them for not wanting to be.  For many people there are more pressing issues to worry about.  If gun-rights people were smart (which I honestly see little evidence of), they need to go after Cuomo on other issues and dig up dirt on him.  Thinking that he will be ousted on the SAFE act issue alone is quite silly, because it will NEVER happen.  

I know I promised to stay out of the political stuff, but I need to say something here   Thanks for posting the information.  It hits all the points to a tee.  The 6 million number comes directly from NYRPA and SCOPE.  Yes it is an estimate, but all we need are 4 million to win. The  last governor election just over 4 million  votes were cast in the tota electionl.  So even if the number is a bit high (and it might be) we still have the numbers.  They are banking on us sitting on or butts and not voting.  I am very active as some of you know.  My only goal is to get everyone active in November.  The other big part is to support Astorino in every way we can.  He needs to get out and about, which takes money.  Get active, start talking to neighbors and friends and even strangers.  Get people registered and make sure they vote.  A huge thing to look at is absentee voters.  I went to the local senior citizen housing complex and did a presentation.  I got 9 residents registered and requesting an absentee ballot.  I will pick up their ballots hand deliver them and return them to the board of elections.  Imagine all the shut ins who have no way to vote across this state.  I started a voter registration campaign at a local nursing home.  The home was happy to help and promised all those who wanted to vote would be transported to vote or would get assistance with an absentee ballot.  get creative.  Find ways to get people to the polls.  It is the only way we can win.  it is not a huge task if everyone does a little work.  But a few can not do it all. Grass roots is very powerful when it grows.  

As a member of the a sporting club in NY we all share a common interest even if most interests are different. There are other topics to discuss and dirt on Cuomo that goes with it all. This is about sportsman clubs across the state realizing we must act now or eventually our club activities will become too expensive or restricted by law so much so they will fade away. Clubs generations old taking part in traditions with family, friends, and community will die off until there are none left.

Our club for example has multiple outdoor events and competitions, many youth and outdoorsman education classes, many safety and skill related shooting classes, program for good and welfare to those in the community who've experienced loss or illness, involvement for conservation, environment related involvement (adopt a highway), and among many other examples donate to many charities. I'm sure your clubs are the same. Is hate to think communities across the state would begin to lose this. Clubs trying to simply function are burdened in many ways under the governorship of Cuomo and the situation this state is in, not just from the SAFE Act.

Edited by dbHunterNY