Breaking News

Hoyt 300

BREAKING NEWS: For all my rifle enthusiastic in Livingston County, the Governor has signed legislation to allow the authorization of big game rifle hunting in Livingston County.

Beginning this November, Livingston County hunters will be able to hunt big game with a rifle after Senate Bill 5855B/Assembly Bill 9201A was signed into law today. Along with shotguns, handguns, bows, and muzzle-loaders, rifles will now also be authorized for Livingston County big game hunting.

Livingston joins 40 other counties across the state in allowing rifle hunting for deer and bear, including the adjacent counties of Wyoming, Allegheny, Steuben, and Ontario, where big game hunting with rifles is already permitted.

I wonder how that will fare around  Geneseo and Avon as they are pretty much horse country and somewhat flat .

Time will tell. I have heard all the theorizing and arguments for or against. Now, if the stats are kept and analyzed, we will start getting a real picture of whether the fears were justified or just overactive imaginations. One thing is for sure.... any reversals in our current safety success is sure to be blamed on rifles. I have some mis-givings in certain areas and situations, but there is no way to be certain one way of the other without just "doing it".

I live in a nice flat valley full of Amish and horses.  The only horse that was shot in the past 20 years was done intentionally mistaken for a deer by a way down state hunter who was here with friends. They were also trespassing and had many more violations such as over legal shell capacity for deer hunting with a semi automatic and one did not have a license.  Several thousand dollars later and loss of hunting privileges for 10 years, they packed up and went home.  I heard the justice who put it to them was a real hard a^&&.  I doubt you will see any significant difference in incidents by hunters.