Relic hunting metal detecting

AaronBlaine

Hey I was wondering if we could start a thread for relic hunting! Recently got into metal detecting and I have been finding some pretty cool stuff! Anyone else have any luck metal detecting, dirt fishin, or treasure hunting!?

Would love to see some pics . That stuff always intrigued me

Very cool! I suggest you do some research on modern day metal detectors. You may find that they are more affordable then you would think! Even the duck commanders are making em! I borrowed an ace250 off of a friend of mine to find a lost engagement ring of a friend of mine that lost it at the beach! Believe it or not i found it along with a bunch of other cool stuff like antique cans old coins and a sweet match box truck lol. There is a club on Long Island that meets on the second of every month. Might have to stop by!

found a old glass oil lamp with a cracked base as a teen while rabbit hunting on old family property.  It was down a slope from where a house once stood.

My uncle use to find medicine bottles, glass ink wells, etc from the 1920's or so.

My dad has pottery pieces from a 18th or 19th century shipwreck that pieces of the plates and bowls wash to shore after some storms.  No flatware yet.

I have collected some Native American pottery shards from a plowed field.  The village location is not known but the burial ground is about a mile away.  My dad use to work with the farm's owner before they both retired.  We were invited to see if could find anything before planting started. Those items are still stored at my parents house.

It is pretty exciting when you find these things.

Hopefully will have time in the future to start looking again.

• Like 1

I would like to see pics of what guys find. That stuff really interests me for some reason. There were a couple shows on it that I use to like to watch, but Im not sure if they're on anymore.

I believe I am the world's worst metal detector operator. I have amassed large collections of hinges, nails, pieces of old steel roofing, screws, barbed wire, tin cans, and other assorted pieces of discarded trash. It's not that the targets have been faulty. I mean many of the areas that I have detected were old ancient cabin and house foundations, and the edges of old falling down abandoned houses. But for some reason even decent artifacts or coins or lost jewelry always seem to elude me. I'm pretty darned discouraged.

• Like 1

I believe I am the world's worst metal detector operator. I have amassed large collections of hinges, nails, pieces of old steel roofing, screws, barbed wire, tin cans, and other assorted pieces of discarded trash. It's not that the targets have been faulty. I mean many of the areas that I have detected were old ancient cabin and house foundations, and the edges of old falling down abandoned houses. But for some reason even decent artifacts or coins or lost jewelry always seem to elude me. I'm pretty darned discouraged.

The thing that gets me is that every time that thing goes off , it most likely will be junk, but it could always be something great.  Kind of like deer hunting an area. Does,,,Does,,Scrub buck,, scrub buck. Who knows whats next ? Maybe that 10 point.   I want to get into it some day.

Edited by ants

That's cool it's always interesting to see what's in the hole! Like he said its like deer hunting you never know what you are going to get! If you want to see what people are digging up go to treasurenet.com and see what some of the guys are picking up. I encourage all of you to at least give it a try you may find it to be more fun an you would think! I know it looks corny sometimes but screw it if you find gold then who's laughing?

I started out about 45 years ago with a cheap JETCO Mustang metal detector . Then I purchased a used Whites Goldmaster from the SWap Sheet . A couple years ago I bought a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II that also had a Pin Pointer small detector .

Never found anything of great value ( coins , lost tools , lead soldier , keys , etc ) . Caught hell for using it in Letchworth Park .at the playground by some wanna be park cop ( park landscaper ) came wheeling in in a pickup and gave me some crap ..

Had a neighbor across the way get pissed at me when his next door neighbor asked me to locate the property stakes . The PO'd neighbor had her flower garden about 4' onto the other's property . The surveyors place one stake in front , one in back and i in the middle .

The Bounty Hunter has a Discriminator mode that cancels out some crap to avoid tin foil , bottle caps , etc ..

In the early 70's I was using it in the town park here in Ontario ( Casey Park ) . I found a few railroad spikes and thought it was odd . When I had to do a college paper , I did it about the Iron Ore Mining in Ontario . The Ore Bed in Casey Park was due to the excavation for iron ore and at one time had a railroad spur along the ore bed to load the ore on so the spikes made sense to me after that .

If you use a detector in a Public place , don't be rude to folks when they ask questions or they will hinder your fun . I wear headphones and take them off each time someone asks a question and put them back on after responding . After a bit they soon realize that they are interrupting and move on . Don't piss off the kids . They can be a real pain if you get nasty with them .

I have also found arrows that were buried during practice . The easiest ones to find are the FMJs as the detector will pick up the entire length .

• Like 1

Woooooooweee hahaa that's some funny shit! I had one hell of a day today. Went for a 4 mile hike in hone woods this morning at cold spring harbor. Then I scooped a buddy of mine that just got into town from Wisconsin and I took em on his first treasure hunt! We went to target rock in search of cannonballs to prove the theory that the rock was used as target practice by the British ships during the invasion. I didn't find any cannonballs however I did find a huge ass iron safe with the door blown off! He'll of a dig I gotta get better equipment! After that I went to my buddy's and did some bunker chunkin for blues and stripped bass and afterwords I found a big ass silver spoon about 3 inches deep in his backyard annndd thennnnn I found it! About a foot underground we were able to dig out the blade of a reeeaalllyyy old scythe ! It's rusted as he'll buy cool as he'll looking! Just keep hunting and before you know it your gonna find something cool. I'm trying to figure out a way to get the safe homes but it's friggin huuuuuuuuuge I have no idea where it came from I couldn't believe it digging it up it just kept getting bigger and bigger!

You totally should its kinda like fishin in the dirt all the sudden you get that PING! And it's get some time! I can't wait to go hit the dunes tomorrow! Last time I found some perfect condition old Mountain Dew cans from the 60s they sold on eBay for 30 bucks a piece.

I bought a metal detector a few months ago and planned on getting back into it and hitting the spots I researched a few years ago, but haven't had the time. It is quite fun trying to step back in time and imagine where buildings/houses once stood. My native American artifact collection did grow last week when I found my first Iroquois wampum bead. I'll post some pics this weekend and yes treasurenet.com is a great site. I've been a member there for years.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Years ago , there was an addition to the Rochester News Paper called UPSTATE . They had an article about a team of  guys who were following the trail of General Sullivan's march . They found all sorts of relics around Conesus Lake , Groveland , etc ..

I have been metal detecting for a few year and have found boxes full of cool stuff.. civil war relics, silver, 19th century relics... last week I came upon an 1866 2 cent coin at a cellar hole in Oswego county...also found a civil war breast plate badge in Chittenango NY... a friend of mine, Frank Pandozzi, who I metal detect with (he has been metal detecting for 30 years) has a great site, several e books and a TV series video... http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/

Some cool stuff I have found

post-525-0-23835800-1406995981_thumb.jpg

post-525-0-11124900-1406996006_thumb.jpg

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

Tesoro Compadre ?  Sounds like a wine ....... :girlcrazy:

LOL Eddie, its a turn on and go detector. Tesoro makes good line of detectors. The Compadre doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the more expensive models out there but its a great beginner detector or good back up for the experienced detectorist. Just turn it on and put it at your level of discrimination and start hunting!!