Turkey in manhattan

BKhunter

Not sure if the picture is coming though because I am on my cell phone but has anyone ever seen or heard of wild turkeys in manhattan?!?!? I know Staten Island has a problem with them but never heard or seen one in manhattan. This was taken in battery park.post-1420-14062337248724_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ny times had an article last year about turkey's in Manhattan. Locals are up in arms over this "serious" problem. Their demanding the city do something about this . "The children, what about the children". It was hysterical to read, city people..smh.

That's funny....Forty plus years ago, Tom Kelly wrote in his classic turkey hunting book " The Tenth Legion" about the possibility of seeing a turkey in Central Park.

He was being facetious, since at that time such a thing would be outlandish..

How things have changed in 40 years...

Its really been quite the success story.  Turkey have really made the big times hear in NYS. 

When I killed one in Canadice in 1982 it was quite a big deal among many locals.  Not too many birds resided in Ontario County then.  10 years later they could be found in nearly every tree. :biggrin:  Their numbers have gone done quite a bit IMO in the county but there is still plenty to go around.

Finding turkey in any city these days is no big deal.........North Tonawanda, Lockport, Batavia and even the village of Williamsville has plenty!  We've had them in our backyard a couple times.

Remember these pics I took in Lockport?..................................

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg