Are these legal in NY?

Deerthug

I went to dicks today and saw the Toxic broadheads on sale. I pick one up and walk over to one of the workers there who happened to be talking to someone who was wearing some kind of archery T-shirt. I stand there listening to this guy talkng and he sounded like some kind of expert. I ask the question and he spouts off "well in my opinion they are not barbed so that would not make them illegal but the real question is whether a curved cutting blade is legal to use in NY. I don't know was his answer. I ask so why are they sold here? and he just stares at me. All the while we are standing next to the Buck juice and C'mere Deer feed and I casually say to him well at least I know these are not legal to use for any reason in NY while pointing to the bags I thank him, tell him I'll stick with my shwackers and walk away.

Does anyone know much about these broadheads? How do they fly? Most importantly are they legal in NY?post-1257-0-98056400-1406340816_thumb.jp

Edited by Deerthug

As far as Legal goes , they aren't barbed so it shouldn't be a problem . Maybe a call to the DEC would clarify the question . I saw them advertised and did a check on reviews for the Toxic Head . They cannot be re-sharpened . They are somewhat fragile .

If you buy any , give a review during the season . They keep advertising these on Camo Fire for about $23 plus shipping for 3 heads .

What could be the upside of these things?

WHY COMPLICATE THIS STUFF?

You get an expensive roasting stick after the pass through.  I'm sure the meat just stays inside those rounded parts, why not start a small fire and eat up!

• Like 1

I would thinkt hey might be illegal but to be sure I'd contact the Dec. You don't want to take a chance.3 blade rage aren't barbed but they are illegal in NY.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

I believe the 3 blade Rage are considered BARBED because the blades don't retract when drawn out .

So once the flutes of that head get clogged with hide, hair and meat, you essentially have a "blunt" ......right?

Legal? ..... I suppose so. It's hard to really tell from the picture, but it looks like the back of the blade is 90 degrees to the axis of the shaft. That makes it technically meet the minimum legal requirements.

I have always been of the rule ... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it... no reason to try something new if what you're using is working for you... example: I still shoot the cheap Remington slugs in my 870... have never tried anything else because I've never needed anything else... never understood why fellas want to keep changing things when what they have is getting the job done... the latest and greatest isn't always the greatest.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...