Never ceases to amaze me...

chiefbkt

I walked into Bass Pro Shops (Auburn) yesterday to get some glue and blazers for some arrows.  On my way back to the archery dept I pass a pallet of "Deer Corn" in 50lb bags for $9.99.  Clearly labeled as such.  The thing that gets me is I must have seen 3-5 guys with 1 or more bags of the "Deer Corn" in their carts.  There was actually one guy with 5 or 6 bags.  Amazes me how these big stores sell all the attractants that are illegal here and get away with it.  It amazed me more that people will actually purchase it knowing it isn't legal.  I'm sure these are the guys that have a dozen wall hangers that they painstakingly hunted day in and day out for...or just sat over their pile of corn. 

Remember  NYS has one county that ...unless wording was changed..and I haven't heard it has been yet...feeding deer is legal..All due to a court case...but that said what amazes me is...like cops doing road checks on cars...why DEC doesn't set up checks for this stuff at these stores...stop them at their trunks...take names and areas they hunt info..that would deter this stuff and perhaps make these stores free up that floor space for things we can use legally...

There is not one hunter out there that hasn't heard of baiting being illegal. It is plastered all over the DEC booklets, the state websites, and even on the products you buy,  "check your local regulations" or straight point blank BAITING IS ILLEGAL in print. It is crazy that these places sell corn and such in a state that is illegal with a big deer pic on the bag. And your right JJB4900, those guys dressed in camo just before or during season buying this bait really gets me angry. I do things the legal, honorable way as a sportsman should, patterning the deer and putting my blood and sweat into the hunt. These guys just sit over bait and kill deer. Top it off, they drive around town bragging of their abilities of a hunter only leaving out the bait pile part of the conversation. What's sad is that for the same money as buying a deer feeder machine and keeping it full of corn, you can plant a very nice food plot for the same money, but food plots are completely legal.

Do you think it could nave been one of any number of deer farms down in that area or someone that had any kind of livestock! There are a pile of farms down that way that have deer or elk.  That is a bit high for a 50lbs bag of corn though.

That said im not real sure if the deal in Ny is even 100% on the books that there is a Law for feeding. Baiting and sitting over it yes i believe there is but not sure if using the minerals and such when not hunting is.  Would have to see the Law that says it. I know they say we..should not...but is there a law?

I can't imagine anyone who has a legitimate farming operation buying their livestock, deer or elk  feed from BassPro shops.

I have. Also use the Buck Jam when i mix my feed. Thats what i use to get all those steroids that people say i use to raise big deer to stick to the feed.  I just think its kinda early to be dumping 5-6 bags in the woods yet. Maybe 1 bag per camera and he has a pile of cameras!

I have. Also use the Buck Jam when i mix my feed. Thats what i use to get all those steroids that people say i use to raise big deer to stick to the feed.  I just think its kinda early to be dumping 5-6 bags in the woods yet. Maybe 1 bag per camera and he has a pile of cameras!

Good point Four Season Whitetails, but your operation has a legal and legitimate reason to purchase those products. I don't know many deer farmers, and I can only imagine that most of the Bass Pro products are being used for illegal means of taking wild game. All of the dairy farmers have big grain company trucks deliver mass quantities directly to their farm. They don't go to tractor supply or bass pro for feed. My point I guess is that most of those products are marketed to the deer hunter with pictures of big bucks on the wrapper. There are states in the U.S. and abroad that baiting is legal. But I know personally that VT is not a  place where it is ok to put out bait at anytime regardless. Yet it is sold in the shops all over the state of VT.

Good point Four Season Whitetails, but your operation has a legal and legitimate reason to purchase those products. I don't know many deer farmers, and I can only imagine that most of the Bass Pro products are being used for illegal means of taking wild game. All of the dairy farmers have big grain company trucks deliver mass quantities directly to their farm. They don't go to tractor supply or bass pro for feed. My point I guess is that most of those products are marketed to the deer hunter with pictures of big bucks on the wrapper. There are states in the U.S. and abroad that baiting is legal. But I know personally that VT is not a  place where it is ok to put out bait at anytime regardless. Yet it is sold in the shops all over the state of VT.

Yes Sir its a driving force that pic of the big buck on the bag.  Thats what 99% of todays hunters are looking for and the bad ones will go to any means to get them. The bad guy feeds the corn and the good guy grows the corn but both want the ending to be the same and that is alot of bone laying on the ground in front of them!

Directly from NYS DEC web site.

In New York, it is illegal to feed deer and moose by putting out any material that attracts them to feed.

There are five exceptions to the rule:
1.Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.
2.Distribution of food to livestock.
3.Distribution of food to captive deer and elk.
4.Cutting of trees and brush.
5.Scientific research, wildlife damage abatement, and wildlife population reduction programs, but only under a permit issued by DEC.

That is one of the reasons I do not go back to one spot, the owner was baiting.  Baiting is just below poaching.

Directly from NYS DEC web site.

In New York, it is illegal to feed deer and moose by putting out any material that attracts them to feed.

There are five exceptions to the rule:

1.Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.

2.Distribution of food to livestock.

3.Distribution of food to captive deer and elk.

4.Cutting of trees and brush.

5.Scientific research, wildlife damage abatement, and wildlife population reduction programs, but only under a permit issued by DEC.

That is one of the reasons I do not go back to one spot, the owner was baiting.  Baiting is just below poaching.

Great info, thank you. And I agree, baiting is definitely below poaching. It is not so much the unfair advantage that upsets me, as much as the violators getting categorized as a "hunter" breaking the law on the news, which is insulting to the true sportsman everywhere.

• Like 1

Do you think it could nave been one of any number of deer farms down in that area or someone that had any kind of livestock! There are a pile of farms down that way that have deer or elk.  That is a bit high for a 50lbs bag of corn though.

That said im not real sure if the deal in Ny is even 100% on the books that there is a Law for feeding. Baiting and sitting over it yes i believe there is but not sure if using the minerals and such when not hunting is.  Would have to see the Law that says it. I know they say we..should not...but is there a law?

They could have been one of the deer farmers.  LIke jjb4900 said though, I highly doubt they are stopping into BPS to get their corn.  If they are, good for BPS cause that is some expensive corn!  I talked to one of the guys at Pasture Prime whitetails last year and i remember him saying he bought the buck jam from BPS or Dick's for his deer. 

Ny hunters are the laziest do nothing and expect everything bunch there is. Bait, tag cheating, weapon cheating and trespassing (which may be the state sport).... Sad place. No enforcement. Everyone of these hunting stores peddles that krap by the truckload.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I believe the sale of these materials is legal because of the fact that people can buy them for out-of-state hunts. Of course we all know what is really going on, but that is the justification that is used for the legal selling of materials (and equipment) that is illegal for NYS use. Apparently there is not enough opposition to support getting the law amended to include sales.

I personally think it is a pretty sad state of affairs when anyone even suggests the regulation of the sale of CORN, regardless of what it says on the outside of the bag or on the store display.

Sort of reminds me of GUN CONTROL, in a way...

• Like 3

I personally think it is a pretty sad state of affairs when anyone even suggests the regulation of the sale of CORN, regardless of what it says on the outside of the bag or on the store display.

Sort of reminds me of GUN CONTROL, in a way...

What a tangled deal that would wind up being. Farm outlet stores would be legal to sell corn, minerals, and salt blocks, etc., but outdoor stores could not. Can you imagine the legal challenges and entanglements that sort of regulating would cause? I'm not sure of the gun control analogy, but it sure would be a messy law.

• Like 1

Ny hunters are the laziest do nothing and expect everything bunch there is. Bait, tag cheating, weapon cheating and trespassing (which may be the state sport).... Sad place. No enforcement. Everyone of these hunting stores peddles that krap by the truckload.

Quite a statement there, painted with a very broad brush too. Care to elaborate on your vast experiences?

• Like 1

Where do you get this from?

I think you should have started that statement with the word "Some"

I do not bait the deer and that includes food plots. Everyone complains about the guys buying things to bait the deer yet doesn't have with planting something that doesn't grow naturaly and hunting that. Or how about going into the woods and planting corn or clover or beats to draw the deer in. I am sure those things do not just grow out in the midel of the woods. Growing your bait is no different then growing it still puting something out that isnt usually there and then hunting it.

I do not bait the deer and that includes food plots. Everyone complains about the guys buying things to bait the deer yet doesn't have with planting something that doesn't grow naturaly and hunting that. Or how about going into the woods and planting corn or clover or beats to draw the deer in. I am sure those things do not just grow out in the midel of the woods. Growing your bait is no different then growing it still puting something out that isnt usually there and then hunting it.

There is no law preventing anyone from having a food plot.  Regardless if it doesn't grow naturally in the woods or not.  Do you think the fields of corn, soybeans, alfalfa, etc all would grow naturally if they weren't planted by farmers?  We can legally hunt over them, so what is the difference?  Baiting is false advertisement for the deer and it's primary purpose is for the harvesting of deer.  I'm sure most people who bait only put the feed out during the season, therefore giving the deer false hope that they found a winter food source.  If the correct food plots are planted, they can provide deer with a pretty steady supply of food throughout the year.  Thus making them more likely to return year after year.  Which is a primary reason why food plots are legal and baiting isn't.  

• Like 2

There is no law preventing anyone from having a food plot.  Regardless if it doesn't grow naturally in the woods or not.  Do you think the fields of corn, soybeans, alfalfa, etc all would grow naturally if they weren't planted by farmers?  We can legally hunt over them, so what is the difference?  Baiting is false advertisement for the deer and it's primary purpose is for the harvesting of deer.  I'm sure most people who bait only put the feed out during the season, therefore giving the deer false hope that they found a winter food source.  If the correct food plots are planted, they can provide deer with a pretty steady supply of food throughout the year.  Thus making them more likely to return year after year.  Which is a primary reason why food plots are legal and baiting isn't.  

Yes and one would come to reason that if you feed the animal the animal will stay on your property.10 acres of corn left standing all winter sure does a deer alot of good. After rut rebound and before winter yarding fill up.