Waxing

Dom

I had a bow guy tell me that you should wax the string after every time you shoot????? I should have asked Why? but I didn't. I do it When I put my bow up for the season, and right before bow season starts, after I have shot it a bunch practicing. Maybe a quick wax during practicing. I have never had an issue.

The wax sits right next to my bow rack, so I do wax it frequently. Also, you can kind of tell by looking at it when it is drying out. If you notice your string looking dry, you have not been waxing it enough. It simply is a way of keeping it pliable and also protected from the elements. Takes only a few seconds and adds to string life.

during the summer I shoot a lot so for me I do it once a month, by doing this it sure seems to make the string and cables last several years or more. wax is cheap compared to changing the string and cables...I have a small piece of leather that I use to work the wax into the string / cables.

should not wax every time you shoot over waxing can be just as bad as letting it dry out.

when target shooting I wax mine every 400-500 shots

when hunting I wax the string more due to the fact the string gets beat up lugging the bow through the woods

you can tell usually just by looking at it if it needs waxing

Also a quality wax will last longer I like the Scorpion Venom Polymeric fluid & wax

Edited by gfdeputy2

should not wax every time you shoot over waxing can be just as bad as letting it dry out.

when target shooting I wax mine every 400-500 shots

when hunting I wax the string more due to the fact the string gets beat up lugging the bow through the woods

Could you elaborate on the idea of over-waxing? I'm trying to picture what harm that could do.

for one i have been told  by bowstring makers & Pro shops to much wax can gum up the cam channels if Grit & Grime get in there it can damage the cams

I would think that cable channels are just another of the things that you have to keep track of. The problem is that there is no recommended frequency of waxing that can guarantee that you always have enough wax in the string and guarantees that the buildup is not occurring without frequent visual checks. So my approach is generous waxing and frequent inspections of all parts of the bow. But I suppose anything can be over-done. It is good you mentioned the clogging of cam grooves. That's something people might not pay enough attention to.

Doc you hit it on the head  frequent visual checks

wonder how many people do this

I do visual check before each shoot & Hunt I think if this is done how often the string needs to be waxed will just come into play

I have more money into my bow then any gun I own & bowhunt more then rifle So I keep my bow in top notch condition & just go by what the pro's tell me

Doc you hit it on the head  frequent visual checks

wonder how many people do this

I do visual check before each shoot & Hunt I think if this is done how often the string needs to be waxed will just come into play

I have more money into my bow then any gun I own & bowhunt more then rifle So I keep my bow in top notch condition & just go by what the pro's tell me

Ha-ha .... even back in the olden days (60's) and even with simple bows like recurves, I learned early that any weapon can malfunction, and the frequency of making visual checks can avoid some horrible outcomes. That old bear whitetail hunter taught me that when a frayed string let go at full draw once. Since that exciting day, I have picked up on more darn potential failures that could have turned to personal injury and/or tremendous expensive inconveniences. So there are a few things that I do inspect everytime I pick up the bow. The wax/mud/crud build-up is just one of those things that I pay attention to. And yes, if you are noting frequent problems with wax impacting in cam grooves, it may be time to start backing off on the frequency of waxing. I personally have not experienced this as a problem, but I certainly could see how it might happen.

I wax the string about once a month . If the wax starts to build up , I take a length of flossing string and fasten each end to a pen or pencil so I can hold the floss taunt then wrap it around the bow string and pull hard . That draws some of the wax with junk out of the bow string . Then I re-wax it with the Scorpion Venom and the piece of leather .

Ok lots of differing thoughts on this. I shoot competitively and hunt. How often you use it is dependent on a ton of things; shots taken, exposure to weather, exposure to dirt and debris, material, number of strands, etc. if you have to use a strap of leather or burn your bare fingers working it in youre messing up your string with heat and friction. Good wax will work in enough through use. You should use just enough to put a thin coat on the string for protection. if it's wet weather reapply. Bits of bark and stuff reapply. Dusty then reapply. I use BCY X-wax. They make the material used in most strings out there and it shows. The wax is as soft and workable as chap stick. I'll take an old shirt or something to strip the old wax off the string along with dirt and stuff it collected. Then once you do that reapply.

I wax my string on the bow 5 r 6 times per year, seem to work for me. I shoot enough between 3-D shoots, practicing, and league shooting that I replace my string every 2 years after it starts to get fuzzy. I have always thought, I cant remember if someone told me or not, that waxing the string was to prevent water from getting into the middle and rotting the string on the inside making it unsafe but not obvious on the outside.