Throw and grow

Wonder how it does in timber with low light levels. Any experience with that first-light?

i did buy some bc it was only 10 bucks I'll let uou know how it does in timber low light high water level. The stuff should be called throw and pray lol

Hot spot by Biologic is a new one that I am trying his season. I have used the throw & grow which did good in the past. I did remove all of the debris from the plot area first. Then I dug down a couple inches to loosen the soil. The locations that I choose for these throw & grow plots are in the woods, in natural openings or small wood cutting lots. I always bring a chainsaw to give the food plot as much sun as possible.

This spring I found an set of wheel harrows in a rusted up heap on one of the properties I manage. The owner just gave it to me, so I pulled it out of the brush and re built it, so now I can disc a plot instead of raking as long as I can get to the spot with a ATV.

How long does it take to grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know yet for sure. It is a fall planting seed and I am starting my fall planting this week. Biologic is telling me that Hot Spot is intended for hand tool plots. It requires only a half day of sunlight, but the more sun the better. It comes in a five pound bag to plant a 20 yard by 20 yard plot. Fertilizer is a good idea, moisture is important too. It is supposed to germinate in a week or so.

Be careful with the throw and grow packages you buy. I know alot of them are compassed of Rye Grass which is commonly mistaken for winter rye. Rye grass is a strang of lawn gross, it pops up almost anywhere and creates a green illusion that most of us think is a good looking food plot, its not. Its not very palatable to deer. You may see some deer in there but it is because they are eating the other 40 percent of ingredients which I can guarantee will be a mix of clover, oats or rye and a small amount of Brassica

I think the evolved harvest bag is good but wouldnt be sure.

For best bet look on online or order from Welter Seed Co in Iowa a mixture of Ladino Clovers, Rye and a small amount of Purple Top Turnips.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys ever read the back ingredient labels?...Serious question...see woman that tend to do most of grocery shopping, first place we go when thinking of buying any thing...even clothes....lol

Yes... but read labels avoid rye grasses and fescue unless...annual rye and planting late enough it won't go to seed....Planted no plow under red oak trees grew well...for three years...grasses and brassica reseeded...

Edited by growalot

That wasn't meant to put you on the defensive...really...lol

But there are ppl that don't realize there is an actual ingredients list on those bags...they just read the front...which is so very deceiving at times.....the thing is...look how green and sweet that looks from a distance..... either way it should bring them in for a better look...win win

I used throw n grow last year and it made a nice green belt of grass inline with my treestand inside the woods but honestly it didnt seem to concentrate deer any differently and it was all gone by the end of bow season (dead)

This year I finally did a nice sized food plot in an old ag field just outside the edge of woods near my treestand location

a combination of oats,rye,soybeans and sugar beets.

Turkey and deer are being spotted here daily almost since the day it was planted and if they dont eat it all by bow season it should be awesome!

The pic attached is about 3 days ago

post-3304-0-24505100-1407704668_thumb.jp

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN