GIANT HOG WEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawdwaz

Who's seen it? 

I haven't ever stumbled onto it but admit I don't spend too much time in the woods, fields etc this time of year.  From what you hear& read it can be some nasty stuff.

There was a blurb on the radio here today and thats what piqued my interest for this post.

How about it, you gots the weed?? :fie:

Got a big 20x20 patch of it right across the road from me down in the creekbottom. These plants will make you feel small they are enormous.

Every year new plants pop up further down stream. I've never got any of the juice on me, so no nasty burns for this guy, although I've been tempted to test its potency in the hot summer sun.

You guys call the DEC about it?

Not my property, and the landowner doesn't have a problem with it so neither do I.

A few plants have  sprouted this year right along the trail, so I'm thinking they might become a problem to him in the near future.

There was some in Oswego a few years back but I think they sprayed the crap out of the field it was in and killed it from what I heard.When Wooly says the plants are huge he isn't kidding.I thought they were fake plants someone put out there because they looked all wrong

Wolly don't u worry about it spreading to your land?

Not really.

Conditions at my place are completely different compared to the environment this stuff is flourishing in.

Here's a shot of one of the plants from last year. It doesn't really show the size all that well but gives you an idea.

I was through here just the other day and some of the leaves on these things are darn near 4ft across.

CSC_0558.jpg

Don't mess with it..The wife of a friend of mine has permanent scars from contact with the juice and it can cause permanent blindness if you happen to get it in your eyes. It's nasty stuff.

As I understand it, its native relative, cow parsnip, can be pretty caustic also. I see a LOT of that stuff around..Looks just like the hogweed, only smaller.

Lawds...you go to Candice lake don't you? ...For years before the big tado over this a guy had it growing right along the road on the south end past  the lake...huge plants near his garage...it was there every year...gone now!

Yea, not too much this time of year though.  I certainly know the area...........a couple very nice homes on the east side of the lake Rd I'm always admiring!! 

My neighbor has been working a patch of hogweed for 2 years. He called DEC and talked to them but they never came out. He has been hitting it with ground clear and finally has killed it off. Last weekend I did a bunch of mowing and trail mowing. I made some new paths out in my bottom field. I did not see any hogweed but after coming back to the cabin my nose and throat were burning for a while. The thought crossed my mind that I hit a patch of this stuff. It went away in an hour so I don't think it was Hogweed.

Do wildlife, that come in contact with it have the same reactions as humans do?

What the shelf life of the sap, once exposed to air?

If burned, will the smoke" carry contact to the skin," as poison ivy does?

Note: It has a main tap root like Queen Ann Lace. Kill the main tap root kills the plant.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter