Browning A-Bolt II Trigger Job

eagle rider

After years / decade of owning and hunting with an A-Bolt II Stalker 'Aught 6, I finally got around to dealing with the trigger tonight.  The trigger was literally a 3.5# pull, zero creep but a real hard squeeze.  I figured a couple of weeks ago to poke around the Internet to see what can be done about this.  I was thinking if I can shoot an inch with a really heavy pull the gun would just do better with a lighter weight trigger.  Well tanks to Al Gore for inventing the Internet, I found this guys link, 

erniethegunsmith.com

Turns out I was able to get a 1.25 pound trigger spring for my rifle for $6.00!  The Browning trigger is really simple to change the spring on.  It literally took longer to take the gun apart than it did to change the spring.  Anyway, wow!!!!  What a difference.  I'm sure the gun will be much easier to shoot well now.  

1.25 lb rifle trigger is really light.  if I shot competition then I'd be okay with it but for a hunting rifle that is definitely light.  I think my varmint rifle is a 2 lb pull.  my browning abolt II stainless/walnut stalker I turned the trigger weight screw all the way down.  it's probably around 3 lbs.  I think it breaks pretty clean, with no creep, stacking, or take-up.  lighter triggers do help, but only so much.

• Like 3

I agree with the majority here..1.5 pounds is light for a hunting rifle, for the reasons expressed by Steve, PLUS the adrenaline factor.

2.5 to 3 pounds is about right for me.

I don't have any aftermarket triggers, but I have had all of my Remingtons, Rugers and Winchesters worked by a competent gunsmith.

The only one I have done myself is the single set trigger on my CZ 550, and it came with DETAILED instructions for trigger adjustment, easily understood even for a ham handed klutz like me...<<grin>>...

I've been hunting with 1.25 to 1.5 pound triggers for 10 years or so.  Ever since I got the Weatherby SubMOA.  Those are factory set at 1.5 pounds.  Never had an issue.  Safety is on until the rifle is shouldered.  As far as a snag goes you can have a 5 pound pull, just the weight rifle pulling on a snag is more than that.  By that logic we should be hunting with 8 pound triggers.  It's 1 1/4 not a set trigger at .33 pound.  

• Like 1

My Rem 700 has a 1.25# Timney which was their factory X-Crap, sorry meant X-Mark Pro, were set at. I'll take a clean breaking, light trigger, anytime over a heavy one.

My xmark was aet at 3.5 to 4 lbs from the factory on my 700. I put a 2.5lb on it which is very light for a hunting setup, but thats the same weight as my Encore, which I like. I wouldnt go any lighter though.

Eagle... I respect your personal preference, and since you are an experienced hunter and rifleman, I have no doubt that the lighter trigger is safe and perfect for you.

However, I will maintain that for " Joe Average Deerhunter" a trigger of 2.5 to 4 pounds is a better and safer choice.

• Like 2

That's light for a factory Encore trigger. TC's usually come out closer to 4 pounds. Its made Mike Bellam a fortune. Remington sets the XMP as low as 2 pounds in the factory. And my bad the Timney in my 700 is 1.5 pounds incase I said it was lighter.

Its a custom shop frame, not really factory.

Depends too on how you hunt. I spend a lot of time stillhunting and sometimes crawling on the ground, and my fingers are frequently pretty cold and stiff when the shot comes. I prefer to feel a little bit of the trigger before it makes its clean break, under these circumstances

OTOH, my go-to squirrel gun has a trigger at about 1 1/4# because of the precision required, and the fact that I'm able to keep the ol' digits up to temp and still feel it. The target guns are lighter yet.

A crunchy, jumpy creep in the trigger can blow a shot at the biggest of targets, but as long as the break is clean and crisp, I can't imagine much difference between 1.5 and 3# in a typical deer hunting scenario in NYS.

To each his own though. Let us know how it works out.

• 2 months later...