30-06

Hey guys Was seriously thinking about buying a 30-06 because i thought would be great versatile rifle for deer and bear hunting A friend on facebook whom i never met but has sold guns for 30 plus years says not a good choice.Can i have some opinions please.Never have bear hunted but thinking about it and want a rifle for both

A 30-06 is NEVER a bad choice for game the size of deer, black bears, and even heavier game like elk or moose.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is giving you bad advice.

There are many factory loads available for this chambering which will handle anything from woodchucks to grizzly bears..

• Like 2

Thanks guys Bass Pro has a Savage with scope for around $420 I think i might get it Any more comments appreciated

Im guessing you were looking at the savage axis , my good friend bought the same one . It is a really nice shooting rifle . He bought the same combo with the scope. His scope failed at some point and ended up removing a does front leg during a hunt, he called me up afterwards ,basically sick to his stomach at the thought of wounding a deer in such a way . My suggestion would be to get the bare axis and buy a seperate scope that is a better quality. Another good thing about the axis is that it will shoot the remington core lokts which is a very affordable round.

• Like 1

30-06 is a good all around caliber 110 grain for small critters to 220 grain for the big stuff.

I would shy away from the big box store deals, what if it does not work right.And package scopes are not the greatest.Go to a local Mom and Pop gun shop, You might pay a few dollars more but the service would be there if needed and the will recommend a good scope for the distance you are going to shoot and set it up for your type of hold,'

Enjoy it when you get one.

The OP said that his friend who has SOLD guns for 30 years recommended AGAINST the 30-06...

I have heard from used gun dealers that rifles in that chambering can be hard to move, probably because they are so common.. Nothing "flashy" about a 30-06.

The fact that they don't sell as well as another more "fashionable" caliber has nothing to do with the utility of the chambering.

If a person were to own but one centerfire rifle for North American game, the 30-06 is hard to beat .

Hey guys Was seriously thinking about buying a 30-06 because i thought would be great versatile rifle for deer and bear hunting A friend on facebook whom i never met but has sold guns for 30 plus years says not a good choice.Can i have some opinions please.Never have bear hunted but thinking about it and want a rifle for both

Time for a new friend.

Not much else for me to say here.The 06 has been doing the job for me for almost 35 years,Yes i do own other guns.But I also own 4 rifles chambered for the 30-06...9 times out of ten I have an 06 in my hands..I don"t think your friend is any good at this find a new friend.