Climbers

Five Seasons

I'm hunting some public land for the first time this year. A few years ago I hunted Darien state park and bought the cheapest climber i could find at dicks. It's heavy, bulky and noisy. You get what you pay for.

Any recommendations? So far I've heard good things about the lone wolf but at $419 that's a hard price to swallow.

I have an api baby grand climber..when I use it its great, but have gone to stick n hangon stand 99.9% of the time. Its tough to find a straight tree where the stand needs to be imo.I'd rather be in a crooked tree in the right spot to get a deer than a straight tree to see a deer that I only might get a shot at. Look into an aluminum set of rapid rails and a good aluninum Hang on stand, they will let you get in the right spot right tree every time.

Edited by G-Man

An Alpha and sticks will set you up in any tree. That said, there are times where a climber, say the S/C or hand climber are nice. I think the S/C is slightly more comfy for an all day sit. Also, some days toting the hand climber is pretty convenient if I know the tree I want can be climbed...slightly less stress/movement/noise.

If you had to pick one to get up any tree...alpha and sticks.

I'm not going to lie...I have all of them. I'm a treestand whore. Alpha, sticks, mini sticks, hand climber, sit and climb and also the wide version, too. They all have their place.

• Like 1

i have a field a stream climber that i bought for $150 from dicks. it weighs 20 lbs but i put on a comfy pair of straps and have no problem even in long walks in and out of the woods. 

to the guys that take in sticks and a hang on each time to the woods...doesnt that cause a huge commotion setting up?? especially in pitch black for morning hunts? not to mention that whenever i put up/move my hang ons, i am dripping with sweat by the end of it...

• Like 1

i have a field a stream climber that i bought for $150 from dicks. it weighs 20 lbs but i put on a comfy pair of straps and have no problem even in long walks in and out of the woods. 

to the guys that take in sticks and a hang on each time to the woods...doesnt that cause a huge commotion setting up?? especially in pitch black for morning hunts? not to mention that whenever i put up/move my hang ons, i am dripping with sweat by the end of it...

No, it's just a practice makes perfect thing. Once you get used to it, it's not hard at all.

The reality is many guys are in a rush in the morning for one reason or another...late, don't like the dark, etc. Once you get a routine, it can be very quiet. LW is made for portability and quietness.

Ol man only climber I have every used on my 3rd one

I have both Summit Viper and Ol'Man Drone climber. Both are very comfy, both are about the same price. The Ol'Man Drone is a bit more bulky and heavier to carry, but it has a footrest and full adjustment for platform angle while in the tree. I use Summit climber for long hikes, and Ol'Man for shorter hikes. If I had to choose only one climber it would be the Ol'Man Drone for me without a doubt.

I second the summit open shot! Best of both worlds , it's essentially a hang on type style but a climber, light as all get out n great for bow hunting... The seat is big, thick, n comfy .. Do spend the extra 20 or 30 bucks on the foot rest cause it makes all the diff in the world... I love mine !!!

• Like 1

i didn't even consider sticks. Unless I'm missing some different type of sticks, I have plenty of hang on stands with sticks on the private property i hunt. They take a good amount of time to setup, not including the lane cutting.

I am spoiled by some really good stands with good approach trails and very detailed work so that you're up and in with little time and little noise. bow hangers and pull up ropes already done.

The experience i had with my field and stream climber was partially out of lack of experience but it was just too loud and bulky for me. I do agree that with climbers you need the right tree and that can be a pain, bu I just cant imagine all those sticks and a hang on being easier?

Leverage stick and drury evolution stand for under 20 pounds. Light enough to go far and not feel it.

I was freaked out goin in at night (city kid) but i been in the woods i hunt so much in a year its nothin now. Knowin whats over the next hill killed that. Get in early takes me 15 mntse to put my stand up. If im rushing cause im late i make way to much noise. But i also keep a cheap heavy stand in the woods

i am surprised how many of you have the perfect tree to climb with a climber.. as fo the sticks. 3 sections of rapid rails and a good aluminum stand go up in umder 5 minutes. as for lanes i have my tree picked out and trimmed before season. carry in and 5 min in the stand. no sweating climbing the tree or clanking or bark noised... climbers are nice if you have that nice straight tree and you climb to ecact hight everytime so your in your trimmed out lane. but i dont want to be in an open hardwoods my stands are in thick areas, apple orchards, edge of a field with trees with lots of limbs for cover and crooked trunks.. to find a tree suitable for a climber i'd have to be 100 yards from where i want to be.. and thats 100 yards to far away for a bow shot for me... imo a good set of sticks/rails will out preform a climber in 90 % of stand locations...

G-man all these years I've been going with cheap heavy hang ons and screw in steps for stands I intend to leave there. And climber for portability. But I've found myselfin the situation yourr describing often enough. Sometimes straight trees just don't exist where u want to be. Besides ii don't like the lack of cover provided on a telephone pole climber tree. I think you've talked me into sticks and a nice light hang on. Thanks.