Where are the deer in 2014 in Region 8 (graph)?

NYHuntFish

Where are the most amount of doe?

....I don't know if I did this right, but I wanted to see where the biggest areas were for deer in Region 8. If I did it correctly, I can make another one for another area if anyone wants. 

Also, The "doe take" I just made by subtracting the two numbers (they provided) of total deer take and total buck take for 2013 so I'm not sure if the theory is correct.

**All numbers are based on "per square mile." So "take per square mile in the given area."

post-3856-0-56926500-1408541480_thumb.jp

SEEMS LEGIT FOR THE AREAS I HUNT, 8P & 8N. THE DOE SIGHTINGS AND TAKE ARE LESS FREQUENT THEN YEARS PASS IN AT MY PLACE IN 8P, AND 8N WHERE I HUNT IS OVERLOADED WITH DOES(AG FARM COUNTRY) .. GUESS THATS WHY YOU CAN ONLY GET 1 DOE PERMIT FOR 8P AND 4 FOR 8N

• Like 1

Not to criticize your efforts or analysis, but statistics can be deceiving! I hunt in 8F, which per your & DEC's harvest reports is in the top 5. In the real world, the specific township where I hunt has less deer around and the agr (grain) crops are mostly east & south within 8F. So...my "neck of the woods" statistically brings down 8F's harvest #s. If you make the assumption that a specific zone within a region is worth hunting (permission, lease or buying property) per the harvest #s , dig deeper before going all in!

Following Moog's thought process, apparently in 8F most of the bucks around were harvested in 2013, so this year's harvest is predicted to be 1/2 of 2013's. So, apparently I wasted my $$ on a license!??! Think someone should re-calibrate their crystal ball. lol

• Like 1

Not to criticize your efforts or analysis, but statistics can be deceiving! I hunt in 8F, which per your & DEC's harvest reports is in the top 5. In the real world, the specific township where I hunt has less deer around and the agr (grain) crops are mostly east & south within 8F. So...my "neck of the woods" statistically brings down 8F's harvest #s. If you make the assumption that a specific zone within a region is worth hunting (permission, lease or buying property) per the harvest #s , dig deeper before going all in!

Following Moog's thought process, apparently in 8F most of the bucks around were harvested in 2013, so this year's harvest is predicted to be 1/2 of 2013's. So, apparently I wasted my $$ on a license!??! Think someone should re-calibrate their crystal ball. lol

Yea that's a good point. I just wanted to find the doe number from last year if possible for my own understanding.  I don't even know if you can just subtract "total buck take" from "total take" or maybe they would have provided that number...but that's what I did so...someone can tell me how to do it if incorrect.

In NO way was I criticizing your graph or analysis! You merely used data from DEC, which is what I'm skeptical about. IMHO, any time statistical analysis is used to show historical patterns &/or predictions concerning wildlife or "Mother Nature", trends are about all you can expect to see.

Aren't the DEC's harvest reports you're assuming for does really anterless deer? Which should includes does, fawns and young bucks with less than 3" spikes. Then you get into DEC's manipulation of reported deer harvest numbers, which are "massaged" to include a certain % of un-reported deer taken. Read it once and if I'm recalling it correctly, NYDEC estimates harvest reporting to be ~60% of total deer killed. Most relevant and current harvest info I've gotten is when I visit the large, local deer processing facility in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...