Need a new backpack

My old one was a cheap one from Bass Pro, didn't make it half way through the season before the strap broke. So now I need a new one and boy are there a lot of choices. You guys have any recommendations for a new one?

I want to stay around $100 or less and it's primarily just for holding my snacks, drinks, lures calls etc while I'm in my stand. I'm not packing a weeks worth of stuff into it and heading to the woods for weeks at a time but at the same time I would like one that's going to last for many seasons.

Why not just get what the kids pack there stuff to take to school.Does not have to be camo.Deer aren't going to follow you.I must have at least 6 anything from what you are looking for to packs for hauling boots and clothing in 0 degree hunts for the day.

Just think for the worst situation as getting twisted up in the woods at sunset or tracking that deer you just shot and you need to follow a blood trail or lack of blood trail. Get a pack to carry what you need to carry to spend the night if needed.

I used to a have a cabelas pack but was not super thrilled with it. Then I used my turkey hunting vest for a few years too. The turkey vest was far better with weight distribution and organization of stuff.

Last year I bought one of these fanny packs and really liked it, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00359024W . Was much like using a turkey vest but a bit more open and the waist strap was very sturdy.

I don't think I would ever go back to a normal pack at this point. They make my back to sweaty, they have poor organization in a lot of cases, and weight may not be distributed as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I switched from a fanny pack to a backpack last year and I love it. I bought a camo one from Wal-Mart and I was not disappointed. Lasted all season last year in all sorts of weather. Even took it ice fishing and no frozen zippers. Believe it was under $15 but may have been on sale. If it tends to slip like most packs tend to do at some point, I put some paracord around the straps and tie it tight against my chest so it doesn't move around on me.

I have had great luck with Timber Hawk Packs. They are in your price range. Very durable, very soft and quiet in the woods for walking, and you cant kill them. I have had the same pack for guiding clients year round (archery, rifle, black powder, turkey, ice fishing, and rabbit hunting) for the last three years without a broken zipper or rip. I have the Rut Buster for $100. www.timberhawk.com

depending on the hunt (season, half or full day), I either have everything I need in my patch pockets and vest or patch pockets and fanny pack similar to what RT Gobbler was talking about.

I have couple day packs I use for hikes, one from Campmor by Outdoor Research (about 10 years old) that have since been discontinued. 

And the other from LL Bean that I have had for almost 20 years.  This is the closet new version from the one I have:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/79241?from=searchcompare&feat=compare&compareIds=79241|79240&selSwatches=284126_131_43|284127_33989_43&page=l-l-bean-continental-rucksack&attrValue_0=Loden

switched a few years ago to a fanny pack. wont look back. so much easier to get stuff and to get on and off while in the stand. complaint would be that when pretty loaded up it weighs on the hips a little. the compartments help. I like the badlands but couldn't justify it and the one from cabelas does fine.

I have had great luck with Timber Hawk Packs. They are in your price range. Very durable, very soft and quiet in the woods for walking, and you cant kill them. I have had the same pack for guiding clients year round (archery, rifle, black powder, turkey, ice fishing, and rabbit hunting) for the last three years without a broken zipper or rip. I have the Rut Buster for $100. www.timberhawk.com

Was at Wal-Mart last night and they are selling these packs (timberhawk)

One was $29.99 and the other was $49.99 - just wanted to let you all know in case you were interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a camelback that has survived 5 years now.  Darn good back pack. I have used it for hunting, scouting, carrying trail cams, even on occasion it gets some use during the off seasons too. I don't use the water bladder too often anymore as it made the pack bulky and added about 5 extra pounds when full.  I now just carry a water bottle instead.  I have a cheap-o fanny pack from Wal-mart for those times when I'm not too far away and I just pack in the bare bones essentials.  I cant remember where it came from, either Dicks or Bass Pro...It was around $80 at the time.