Checking zero without shooting

Borngeechee

I know this is a silly question but imma ask anyway. Is there a way to see if your red dot is stilled zeroed from a previous hunt without shooting it. The closest range to me with any targets over 25 yards is a 114 mile round trip. I hate to do all of that just to for a couple confirmation shots.

I know a guy that swears by one of these.He sights a new scope in,then shoots it on paper,After that he puts the boresighter back on and sees where it is "zero'ed" and keeps a record of it.Then all he has to do is throw the boresighter on and check it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Shooting-Accessories/Sighting-In/Boresighters|/pc/104792580/c/104769180/sc/104570280/i/103924980/Cabelas-Boresighter-Package/1308530.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboresighters%2F_%2FN-1100224%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103924980%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM%253Bcat104570280&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat104570280%3Bcat103924980

• Like 2

Boresights gets you close. Still need to fine tune.

I would say to zero it right in without firing it can't be done. Even bore sighting just gets you close but still needs to be shot a few times.

I zeroed it a few months ago and didn't fire it since I last used it. The red dot should still hold zero but I just want to confirm it. Guess I have to make that trip.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Shooting-Accessories/Sighting-In/Boresighters%7C/pc/104792580/c/104769180/sc/104570280/i/103924980/Cabelas-Professional-223-Laser-Chamber-Boresighter/1178826.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100224%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat103924980

I actually have one of these with a set to the sleeves for other calibers. It works well for a bore sight and also for confirming that nothing has happened like in transport. I bought it when we drove to Northern Quebec for Caribou. The one I have is a .223 laser. It slides into other caliber sleeves and projects a red beam out of the barrel. one thing I did notice was that depending how the laser is installed or rotated in the other sleeves it will vary your position of the beam slightly. So what I did was use it as a bore sighter. confirmed it on the range by shooting and fine tuned the scope. Then I put the sleeve in and rotated the sleeve and the laser and once I found the spot where it matched my scope, I used a file edge to score the back with a line so now I know when using in my 12 ga slug gun, I can line up the 223 in the 12ga sleeve using the scores and the score are loaded into the gun at 12 o'clock in the chamber. Hope that made sense

• Like 1

I've never used bore sights and am thinking of going to Dicks and pick up a few (different calibers) . Any advice ?

I use the ones that are the exact dimensions as the caliber. You then chamber it into your rifle and it shoot a laser dot down range. Again, it is not 100% accurate. It simply puts you on paper and you only need to take a few shots to get it to zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is a silly question but imma ask anyway. Is there a way to see if your red dot is stilled zeroed from a previous hunt without shooting it. The closest range to me with any targets over 25 yards is a 114 mile round trip. I hate to do all of that just to for a couple confirmation shots.

IMO it would be better to drive the 114 mile round trip and be sure that your gun is on then have bumped it and wound and miss a trophy. Take a fishing pole and hit some spots along the way. Take the gf/wife or friend and make the most of the 5 minutes you'll be sighting in with.

• Like 2

IMO it would be better to drive the 114 mile round trip and be sure that your gun is on then have bumped it and wound and miss a trophy. Take a fishing pole and hit some spots along the way. Take the gf/wife or friend and make the most of the 5 minutes you'll be sighting in with.

but this could happen at any time to any of us. Wouldn't it be nice to have an option to know that when you slipped and fell on your way out of the woods on Saturday night, you could confirm the gun was on without losing Sunday hunting?

• Like 1

This has worked for every bolt action rifle I ever owned. You need a sturdy table or bench, a vice or something to hold the rifle in 1 spot and a target 1foot square is fine.Measure out 75 feet or 25 yards.And set your target as close to the height of the rifle as you can.The target use white or other light colored  paper With a black magic marker and a carptenders square make  1 vertical line and a line in the middle of that make a horoizontal line, Then with a paper coffee cup draw a circle in the center of that, a compass would work better. With the bolt out of the bbl. look threw it and center it on the target.now look threw the scope and line up the vertical line to get it lined up in that direction.Now adjust the scope in the horozintal direction.

The thing is to get the hole in the bbl. lined up with the circle on the target as close as you can.I draw a number of circles with a compass.Walk away and come back and look and see if every thing is in the same spot.

Another one an old timer showed us was to set up a target on something 25 yards away take a carptenters square draw a line level on the target then a plum bob and draw a line up and down in the middle of the level line. Now sight in on the cross hair you made.

I still like mine as above the circle helps in lining up the bbl.

These will get you close at 100 yards, but still need to actualy fire a few rounds to make sure.

• Like 1