Hunting land

vincy

For my NYC / Long Island forum members, here is a hypothetical question for you.

If you were given a budget of 100K to purchase hunting land in NYS, what region would you focus your search? Now here are some factors to consider.

• You live in NYC so the closer the property the more chances to visit
  • Doe permits availability
  • Good deer density
  • Access to public hunting land because 100k won’t buy you a ton.
  • Primary game is Whitetail
  • Other year round use ie. Camping, hiking etc..

I know there will be pros and cons with this. For instance region 3 is under a 2-3 hr drive, but deer density is lower, it has AR and gets hit hard by other NYC hunters.

I’m interested to hear your answers because every year I keep telling myself that I should buy land.

thanks

Vincy

I live in Nassau County.Secured a lease in town of Owego,Tioga County a few years ago. I have a 4 hour drive to get to my place,Its not something we usually do in a weekend but its been done.Having said that we have every type of huntable specie on the property which is a working farm with rotating crops and we also have stepped up our food plot program.I constantly hear from guys how the land closer to Long Island has got no more rabbits..no bucks..etc.We have everything and the DMP's are plentiful. 9 guys on the lease everybody gets a doe tag every year no problem.The area is so good we just negotiated a lease to buy deal with our lease holder for another 93 acre parcel in Spencer with a house!So phsyched up cant wait to setup the new place.Finally made the gradual progression from a motel room to tent camping to a camper to a full blown hunting cabin!.The 4 hour ride is definitely worth it to us. I've hunted in Cooperstown , Otsego county and that is another awesome choice lots of turkeys! you have chosen wisely In my opinion just getting land because its close isnt always the best factor but you have to balance out whats best for you.Delaware county isnt that far and has abundant game but land there is pricey!

No Matter what we always will be considered flatlanders

It seems the most unaccepting are the ones that want to hunt your land for free and dont like to be told no

You'll get along much better when you give out some work to the local carpenter,plumber,or farmer with a tractor

We had a big pig roast and BBQ this past weekend and invited all the neighbors which was awesome and goes a long way to improve relations.

If you go up there and just put up gates and fences and posted signs and dont wave hello and dont stop to take a minute and share a beer with your neighbor you arent doing yourself any favors

its not  just about money..show up with a case of beer or a fresh baked pie or something and take time to talk to folks

We've made some good friends that we can trust

Its a a delicate balance..

Good Luck with the new property

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN
  • Like 1

Otsego not bad but still a 4 hour ride.  I'm in northern Chenango County and while the hunting is great the 5 hour ride is wearing on me.  If I were you I would keep it to a 3 to 31/2 hour ride (esp for weekend trips) which might bring you to the Hancock-Deposit area on rte 17.  But like you said AR's are in place there...decisions

My place is up in 8P. I have 5.5 hour drive to get to camp from Northport LI. The hunting is fabulous, love the area and always get a doe permit.

Bought 7 years ago and never looked back. 100 grand will still get you a nice chunk of property.