Utility poles, where to get

Mustang51js

I have land in canajoharie and working on getting electric to it. I need to install a utility pole either 25 foot or 30 foot. I'm having trouble trying to figure out where to get one or someone that installs them. I will install myself if I need to but does anyone know where to get a pole or a company that I could just purchase and have them install. Thanks

Did you try your local electric supplier. They usually provide the first pole and a set distance of wire for free with a new service. If you need more they will do it, and can charge you.

Another option is an Electrical contractor. One who does more commercial work would be more likely to add poles and service.

Edited by pewlodar

I have land in canajoharie and working on getting electric to it. I need to install a utility pole either 25 foot or 30 foot. I'm having trouble trying to figure out where to get one or someone that installs them. I will install myself if I need to but does anyone know where to get a pole or a company that I could just purchase and have them install. Thanks

One way to get a lead on who can install meter pole is to contact your local electric provider. I think National grid operates in Canajoharie. Call and ask to speak to a field planner. These people, as I was one before I retired, will know the scoop on who can install your meter pole, install pole anchoring, and wire it too.

First 100 feet of overhead service on private property at no cost to you, anything over 100 feet is chargeable on a per/foot basis.

If you just have a travel trailer, expect to pay for all footage until a permanent structure is built, then you get a refund.

Good luck.

• Like 1

My issue is I only have a camper on the land, since I don't have a building they said it's a temp service and would cost me $800 for them to run the power. But same issue is they won't install the pole because it counts as a temp service. They don't make it to easy to do this stuff. I had to get a 911 address first which took a couple weeks, now next step is the pole. I am an electrician in nj but never had to get or install a pole. I couldn't find anything local on the internet and takes national grid a week or so to answer me back. I don't have any plans in the near future to build a cabin so that's why I'm just going to do the temp so I have power and can make it up if I ever sell

One way to get a lead on who can install meter pole is to contact your local electric provider. I think National grid operates in Canajoharie. Call and ask to speak to a field planner. These people, as I was one before I retired, will know the scoop on who can install your meter pole, install pole anchoring, and wire it too.

First 100 feet of overhead service on private property at no cost to you, anything over 100 feet is chargeable on a per/foot basis.

If you just have a travel trailer, expect to pay for all footage until a permanent structure is built, then you get a refund.

Good luck.

I will try that, thanks. I would've thought they would have some local companies that they recommend or work with. Will have to talk to a field planner, one was supposed to call me back sometime this week but hasn't yet. The worse part is they only need to run from one side of the road to the other, I checked out all the specs I need for height and such and now just need a pole. Then after that I can figure out how to get a 7 foot guide rod into the ground lol

do you have a local lumberyard that could special order them?

I've only had land for two years and only really use a couple times for hunting. So I haven't really looked around in the area. There is a lumber yard I pass after cario so maybe I could look there. It needs to be pressure treated and min class 7,all the wood I've seen there are just logs and 2x4 driving by

Got ya Mustang. And, no, they don't make it easy. Welcome to the world of real estate development.

Check the meter fees for temp power in your area before you commit to that pole and service. Without a building permit in the works you may be way better off with some other option for your hunting camp. Temp power is generally considered commercial, and charged as such. That can be costly.

Ok I will check into that,they didn't mention anything on the phone but I know that doesn't mean anything. Main reason I wanted power was mostly for the heat in winter, slept a couple nights last season with it being 12 degrees lol. I have a propane heater but I don't trust leaving it on and sleeping, that's from being a firefighter also and paranoid about carbon monoxide

The little woodstoves they make for wall tents are pretty reasonably priced and they can heat a small area in no time. Add a deep cycle battery and a solar charger for lights and you won't be loading the stove in the dark.

Keep us posted. I'm interested to hear what the meter charge will be for temp power in your case.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little update, had national grid come by today,they will have to add a transformer and with the service across the road the two combined would be in the $1200 range. Got a price for pole and installation for $1000. So I'm figuring total will be in the $2500 range and no fees after that. Only thing she said is if I install a septic and well then they would return my money for the service drop.

Sounds about right, but ouch anyways!

The service drop will probably include include a meter socket if you were told 'no fees after that'. Otherwise there would have been a 'connection' fee after you installed the socket. I'm still curious about the 'meter charge', though. It's not considered a 'fee', but it's the basic monthly cost for having their meter in the socket so that you can actually use their power. Check the bill for your house. It's everything that you pay for before actually using any electricity. My house is about $25/mo totaled up. About half of my electric bill from NYSEG every month just for the privilege of having their power at my disposal. You probably don't want to be stuck with much more than that every single month if you're only trying to stay warm for a few nights during the year.

My point is that the service drop is not the same as having that power immediately available to you.

Sorry if I'm coming across like a dick about it. Just trying to help.

Nah your ok,I never looked at my bill that way so will have to look at it more. I only plan to keep the land for a couple years then want to get something closer with a house on it so I don't have to build something and do a well and septic. I figure I should be able to recoup the cost in the sale of the land. Next time I talk to someone I will ask about the monthly fee. I know here in nj it's only what you use, there's no fee so if you don't use power you have no bill

• 3 weeks later...

Update, the bill for power ran is $1400. I found someone to install the pole which new is $1200 but he said he has some used ones he's taking out somewhere so he can give me a better deal, so I'm thinking between $800-$1000 for that. So it's not to bad and think I can recoup that if I sell. As far as I know there's no monthly fees besides the bill