What's your favorite squirrel recipe?

BKhunter

When i was very young and had just started hunting squirrel. I came home with 4 squirrels and gave them to my mom. Being from the old world (italy) she could think of only one way to make them and that was "al sugo". This recipe is a rabbit recipe which I have eaten often both with wild rabbit and farm raised rabbit. The only difference is the cooking times as squirrel will cook faster.

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 pounds squirrel, cleaned, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
3 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice, or 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, drained and crushed
1 tsp tomato paste
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 1/4 cups dry white wine
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn

Directions

In a large cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil until just smoking. Add the squirrel and brown well on all sides. Season the meat with salt and pepper, remove from the casserole and set aside.

To the same casserole, add the garlic and reduce heat to medium. Cook garlic 1 to 2 minutes, until it is softened but not browned. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary and wine and simmer 5 minutes.

Return the squirrel to the casserole, cover loosely and cook over low heat for 1 hour, until meat is very tender. Add the basil leaves, remove from heat and serve immediately.

The resulting sauce goes well with pasta and is usually served as the "primo piatte" first plate.

Bon Appétit!
Edited by EspressoBuzz
  • Like 2

I've had good luck with venison stew recipes in the crockpot. Keep the quarters on top of the mix so you can sort out the bones before serving if you want.

My favorite is probably the basic spaghetti sauce. Lightly brown the squirrels just like you would any other meat for sauce, then simmer for the day. My Grandma Carpino, rest her soul, taught me that.

Lawdwaz, on 23 Aug 2014 - 9:00 PM, said:

Dude...............................ya gotta get back here soon. :fie:

You've been away too long!!

LOL.......need me a Ted's hot dog one of these days.

Work keeps getting in the way of a trip it seems.....

Stuff is closing in on shipment from Namibia already and I need the cash for some taxidermy and tanning.....and to pay for next yeara trip.  B)

• Like 1

There is a very easy way to skin them...it's easier to SHOW it than to describe it. There are several videos on youtube. It does take a little practice, but it's well worth learning.

I skin and disjoint the squirrels. I discard the rib cage and end up with 5 pieces, 4 legs and the back. If I shot them with a shotgun, I soak he squirrels in salt water overnight. This helps draw the blood out of the shot wounds.

Put some flour, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning in a bag.

Shake pieces in flour mixture to coat.

Brown floured pieces in a skillet in butter. I add a little vegetable oil to stretch the butter.

When brown, transfer squirrel to a baking dish. I use discardable aluminum steam line pans. Slice up an onion or two over the squirrel.

Add liquid to a depth of 1/2 inch or so.

..I've used water, beer, wine and chicken broth. I prefer the chicken broth because it makes a better gravy.

Cover the dish and place in slow ( 300 degree) oven until the squirrel is VERY tender. When the meat is tender ( usually after about 2 hours) remove the cover and turn the heat up to 375 to reduce and thicken the liquid and brown the meat on top.

Use pan drippings for gravy over taters, rice or noodles.

This recipe also works well for rabbit.

Pygmy- you basically just described a fricassee. Yum! Chicken fricassee has always been one if my faves. I'm gonna try it with some tree rats!

I usually let my taste inspire me to create new dishes. Here's one I just devised in my head.

I'll call it Simple Pan-Seared Squirrel with Steamed Asparagus Tips and Bearnaise sauce. I would serve with grilled ciabatta bread and brush on some rosemary infused olive oil. Damn I'm makin myself hungry

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Basically, if you screw up a recipe with squirrel meat, you probably would have screwed it up with anything else. And they're fun to hunt. 8 days 'til the opener!

Ba-da BING !!

During early season it's tough enough to get a clean shot with a shotgun..

My favorite squirrel gun is a 1936 vintage M 12 Winchester in 16 gauge.

I use 1 oz. game loads of #6 shot.

My second favorite is a Belgian Browning A-5 in 20 gauge, which was made in 1953... Game loads of 7/8 oz. of #6 shot..

When the leaves clear out in later season I use a NEF bull barreled single shot in .17 Mach II with a 4X scope OR my 1971 vintage Ruger 10/22 with peep rear and front fiber optic bead..