Finding your spot

Borngeechee

I have used them they work good at night during the day they can be tough to see. If you do use them put them on both sides of the tree so you can find your way out of your spot as welk

Good to know, thanks

I have also used them..Like Wood said very bright with a flaslight on them not very useful during the day...

I'm not one for waving a flashlight around on my way into the woods. Red lens or not. Have hunted the same woods for along time now so get there by feel at this point.

I'm sure the light won't spook the deer anymore than stepping on every twig while trying to navigate in the dark. All you really need is a small red or green light to illuminate those reflectors. I don't use the tacks because I really do have exceptional spatial awareness, but I do bring a small light(mini-mag).

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Edited by PREDATE
  • Like 2

I've used them in the past to find my stand in the dark on wooded public land.  Makes the trip in the dark woods much faster.  If you're unfamiliar with the woods, things can get confusing in the dark, especially if there is no trail to follow.

• Like 1

I purchase wooden clothes pins and industrial adhesive tractor trailer bumper reflector tape. I cut the reflector tape into strip's and stick them to both sides of the clothes pin. I clip them on tree limbs about every 30 yards. With a green, blue, or white flash light they light up like someone shinning a flash light back at you. I have put them 200 yards across farm fields and they reflect great even at that distance.

• Like 3

The reflective twist ties are pretty handy for marking an access point into the woods from a field as well.

I like the clothes pin idea VT. Quick, cheap, and simple! Thanks.

As a side note: when at some point you get a little disoriented trying to find a stand in the dark (we've all been there), just sit for a bit until it's light enough to get your bearings. Thrashing around in the dark looking for your tree stand is a lot worse than being quiet on the ground for a few extra minutes.

• Like 5

I have used them numerous times, even in woods I've hunted for many years.  My stand locations can change at any time and I'd rather not be blundering around in the dark.............

For around 33 years I've hunted all over Tioga County PA and in the early years spent too much time looking for my spot in the dark..Lots of little tidbits to help before the tacks would be small pieces of white tissue stuck on branches, long straight dead trees pointing the way or scuffed leaves.

Something to keep in mind while hunting public land is that you may be alerting other hunters that this MAY be a good area to hunt and put it on their list of places to visit, possibly messing up your hunt.

That's why I wanted something like these. I figured these would be more concealable.

That's why I wanted something like these. I figured these would be more concealable.

I'm not knocking them, actually I think they are a great idea for hunting unknown land. Say you like the spot and plan on coming back the rest of the season - if you leave them for say a week or two before you go back, the chances of someone finding your area are higher than if you removed them. I'm trying to think back to my public land deer days and being worried someone was going to steal my spot. I still waterfowl public land and get bent when I see someone in "my spot" (when you have hunted that location since a child it starts to feel like your spot).  

As far as the tacks, I'm guessing they are inexpensive and not meant to be removed and reused (I guess anything could be reused if proper care is taken). One member brought up the clothespin with reflective tape idea. I think I may do that myself (especially when tracking a deer) - cheap insurance, lite weight and doesn't take up much space. I was lost when I was in my mid-twenties and spent the night - just me and my deer. It sucked because it was cold and drizzling on and off. It was good because I had fresh meat to eat and enough gear to make it through the night dry and fed. I was also lucky enough to have a radio and speak with my uncle back at camp and told him I was ok - just no idea where the heck I was (black outside). They probably could have found me but probably wanted me out of the house so they could listen to Santana records un-harassed by me. It was a nice experience, and IMO better than listening to music I heard 100K times and watching my uncle drink odouls while getting a critique on my poor shot or gutting job. 

• Like 1

It was a nice experience, and IMO better than listening to music I heard 100K times and watching my uncle drink odouls while getting a critique on my poor shot or gutting job.

I'm sure you got a good razzing and hey a good critiquing from an old timer is never a bad thing, after all who was cozy back at camp and who wasn't? lol

I'm sure you got a good razzing and hey a good critiquing from an old timer is never a bad thing, after all who was cozy back at camp and who wasn't? lol

At the time it was not so delightful. A few days later looking back on the evening, it wasn't so bad. Now, many years later it was one of the more memorable experiences of my life. I often look at the things I have done that were challenging in my life to gauge how interesting and fulfilling a life i'm leading. Kind of my own tape measure for life. It may be strange but it works for me!

get a gps and use that to find your spots....no need to litter up the woods with thumb tacks and let others find your spots.

they'll rust and fall out at some point. Not really a big deal considering all the trash that's bees left in the woods over the past few centuries,

besides you can plan your hunt by knowing that persons entry route!!!