Good Article About The .223 For Deer Hunting

Mr VJP

VJ,

Excellent  article.  I like the concluding remarks that says it depends on the size of the deer.  He also mentions range.  The 30-30 and the 223 have somewhat similar capabilities and limitations.  One has more bullet mass and diameter and the other more velocity.   We are blessed with so many good deer rounds.  With perfect bullet placement its all academic.  Of course, in the real world,  shot placement  is often  is a bit off.  Buck fever, small unseen twigs, excitement  all result in a little less ideal shot placement.  Its then that the tried and true deer calibers line the 243, the 270's  the 30-06 7mm's and 308 based cartridges can save the day.  Thanks for the post. 

The only .223 I have has "evil features". I don't even use it for coyote hunting anymore.

I have shot a few deer with my 30-30, although it was never my caliber of choice growing up, but you use what Dad gives you right?

On a side note, I shot a buck last year with my 30-30 using the Hornady 160 gr FTX LEVERevolution for the first time. The buck was about 130lbs dressed, shot @ ~40 yards. When I was field dressing this deer I noticed where the heart/lungs were supposed to be was a pile of mush. I am impressed by this round.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you yes for sure, but why would you when there are a bunch of better options that are more effective.

If was are talking about youths or women or the slight of frame ...why not a .243 or .6mm or .257 Roberts or .250 savage...,i can keep naming them. All are better choices, give more margin of error and are just as easy to shoot..,

I believe the point the author of the article makes very well is, when the right type of bullet is used in a .223, and the shots are kept under 150 yards or so, that cartridge is as effective as any other round you could choose to use.  Keep in mind that's "effective", not "devastating".

Because of the round's top end velocity, when a good bullet designed for deer is used, the hydro-static shock effect will do as much damage to a deer's vitals as a much larger round, albeit only at shorter range, since the velocity falls off fast.

With bullet placement being the primary concern, I think it's about time to start admitting the "margin for error" argument is a myth.  You either make a good, clean killing shot on a deer, or you don't.  The round you do it with really doesn't matter all that much.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

With bullet placement being the primary concern, I think it's about time to start admitting the "margin for error" argument is a myth.  You either make a good, clean killing shot on a deer, or you don't.  The round you do it with really doesn't matter all that much.

I se it less of a margin of error issue as an available shot issue. 100 to 150 yards out I might be hesitant to take a quartering to shoulder shot with the 223. I wouldn't think twice with my '06. That shot window can evaporate with a quick turn of the deer and may not present the preferred broadside. So while the  "margin for error" term might not fit the best it may limit your available ethical shots. It's a trade off and if you are willing to accept the limitations it will effectively take a deer

Culver, I think that issue is covered by using the right bullet.  If using a rapidly expanding bullet in the 06 for that shot, you may fail.  Whereas using a Barnes solid copper bullet in the .223, you won't.

Velocity and energy will carry the bullet through, as long as the range is limited to the amount of velocity and energy required for the job.

This guy killed a 150 hog with one @ 225 yards and shows photos of the bullet he recovered.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94628-223-Barnes-70-Grain-TSX-Performance

Edited by Mr VJP