ratcheting pruners

handsaw

15 ft  of strong rope wound up tight to not take up a lot of pack space

quality head strap light

face mask in camo

ball cap in camo

gloves in camo

fleece base layers

If I had to pick only 3 items to carry, it would be compass, sharp knife, and quality head strap light.

• Like 1

Why do you need camo clothing , it's a monkey see monkey do thing,Do not have to have it, The most important piece of clothing would be an Orange hat when walking around and at least an Orange vest, more so on state land.A group of us have worn orange from head to toe for 50 years and shot more game then we can count.Better to be safe then shot at.Locals up here just wear regular work clothes and have no problem getting there game.Also a small back pack with other items mentioned in case you get twisted up and lost ( and it does happen).

Camo is fine for Archery hunting during Archery-only season or Turkey season, but not necessary to hunt deer.  My grandfather wore jeans, light-brown hunting jacket, and an orange vest for deer and rabbit hunting.  Same outfit minus the vest for goose hunting.

For anything else or hunting season you need some Hunter Orange gear - to keep it simple a hat and a vest that will fit over the rest of your outerwear.  I suggest see how you like the early archery season first but recommend getting a orange hat to wear when heading in/out of the woods for safety.

Good boots - keep the feet dry and warm.  Wet feet and cool to cold weather is a big no-no.  Can end up with frost bite as the season gets late.  Was hunting in the snow in the 3M/3P zones last year for deer.

Insect repellant for the mosquitoes/ticks.  I pre-treat clothes with Sawyer's Permethrin and use deet on neck.

Other items:

• sharp knife ( fixed or folding)
  • rope or drag harness for deer
  • pen (to fill tag when get a deer)
  • field dressing disposable gloves
  • something to attach tag to deer (string, twine, twister, etc)
  • water to drink and clean off blood from gutting
  • trail marking tape or toilet paper to mark blood trail
  • flashlight
  • compass & map of the area
  • extra set of keys to vehicle you are using for the hunt
  • suggest FRS radio's (one for you and one for your buddy) with headsets
  • maybe some hand and or foot warmers for later in the season
  • doe scent (optional)
  • grunt call (optional)
  • doe/fawn bleat call (optional)
  • antler rattle (optional)

Don't go out and buy everything at once.  Start with the essentials and see how you like, or don't like hunting.  Add-on as you go or discover things that you need if you enjoy it.

Some hunters only carry what fits in their pockets, other use a waist-pack or backpack to carry their gear (like additional gloves, jackets, etc as the weather gets colder, lunches, thermos with hot tea, etc).

what some folks see as a "must have" varies.

For starters, yes good clothing for all weather types will do you good. Staying comfortable will allow you to stay on stand longer(motionless).

If your budget allows for it, then yes a pack full of gadgets might come in handy, but you don't need to haul cabelas on your back to enjoy being out in nature or to be successful. I wouldn't hesitate to jump 100yds into the woods with 25 minutes of legal shooting light wearing jeans and a flannel to arrow a deer. Because I've done it!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I love my camo gear, but honestly, if it was hunter orange I would still have bought it. Water proof, wind proof, light weight, breathable, quiet while moving or when branches scratch against it, and they fit me perfectly. I too have shot many deer with hunter orange on at distances of 40-100 yards. But, I have also been busted with the wind in my face by deer at 20 yards wearing orange. I chocked it up to no breakup in the vest, just solid orange. However, I have been camoed up and could count the deers eye lashes and not spook off. Wearing camo gives me the confidence to feel like I can disappear in the woods. You should wear what ever accomplishes that goal for yourself.

All great items listed so far

I also like to carry..zip ties,hand sanitizer,extra release if your bowhunting,leatherman type multi-tool,small zip lock bags,flagging tape,packable rainsuit

I never leave without my fleece jacket,fleece gloves and fleece neck gaiter.(one of man's greatest inventions)

Like VT Outfitter said, if I had to pick 3 things only: sharp knife, compass, flashlight.  As far as camo goes, you can get pretty decent light weight camo tops and bottom from any major retailer for under $40 total.  Or if you go to Wal-mart you can get their camo sweats for like $10 a piece.  It will work for starting out archery hunting.  Good luck. 

Elmo asks good questions.

The causal reference was in relation to how serious you want to get into this sport. Hunting is a sport where you can be a casual hunter, going a time or two a season, a weekend warrior, hitting the woods Sat/Sun, or a hardcore hunter (varying degrees) who takes time off work, who practices alot during their off season, who scouts, etc.

There's no right or wrong, but determining how serious your interest is in hunting will dictate the responses a bit.

• Like 1

If you're going to be the type that is going to drive up to a spot, hike in a few hundred yards and hunt from there for the day (and there is nothing wrong with that at all), you won't need as much. If you're going to be the type to hike in 5 or 6 miles then your required gear increases drastically. I don't want to recommend hundreds of dollars of gear that you might never use just because I hunt a certain way others might not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elmo asks good questions.

The causal reference was in relation to how serious you want to get into this sport. Hunting is a sport where you can be a casual hunter, going a time or two a season, a weekend warrior, hitting the woods Sat/Sun, or a hardcore hunter (varying degrees) who takes time off work, who practices alot during their off season, who scouts, etc.

There's no right or wrong, but determining how serious your interest is in hunting will dictate the responses a bit.

Alright well I'm just getting into the sport but I'm pretty serious so I want to hunt as much as possible for all game available in ny

If you're going to be the type that is going to drive up to a spot, hike in a few hundred yards and hunt from there for the day (and there is nothing wrong with that at all), you won't need as much. If you're going to be the type to hike in 5 or 6 miles then your required gear increases drastically. I don't want to recommend hundreds of dollars of gear that you might never use just because I hunt a certain way others might not.

Very true well for right now I'll probably be more of the walk 100 yards in until I get more comfortable but eventually want to get deep into the woods

Very true well for right now I'll probably be more of the walk 100 yards in until I get more comfortable but eventually want to get deep into the woods

Depending if it is early bow/Mz. loader season or late bow Mz. loader season your clothes are going to vary.Early you can get away with light cotton  clothing.Late season And the weather predictions for this winter a COLD.That's when you get into layers of clothing,Walk to your intended spot to post in a base layer and something light over that, When you get to your spot Put your heavy Coveralls or Bib pants and Coat and a good warm Hat. You won't be all sweated up when you get there, being sweated up will just make you colder faster.For a first time in a spot I would buy a GPS well ahead of time and learn how to use it,You can get very twisted up going in the woods in day light and coming out at sunset,At least buy a  compass if you can't afford a GPS.Still doing it after 60 years of going after game and still enjoying it. Have a safe hunting season and hope you score on that big one this year.