Im pretty sure a deer did this but im not sure...

Vince1

Spent the weekend hiking (scouting) with the family and came across the below near a trail in some pretty thick brush. if a buck did this im pumped, problem is Im nervous about approaching this properly. we ran into PLENTY of does and yearlings. wish it was so easy during regular season.

post-3352-0-56648200-1409522220_thumb.jp

post-3352-0-08490500-1409522224_thumb.jp

if that is intentionally scraped off and the tree has gouge marks it's likely from a wild boar. Claw marks would indicate a bear.

The tree does look dead so it's probably just the bark falling off naturally.Can't really tell from the pic

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Are there any kind of scrape marks on the tree?…Gnaw marks?? Porcupines tear up trees too. 

no gnaw marks, just looked like the bark was scraped off with something. stuck a camera near it. wil check it next week, if nothing comes in on it I guess I will just move on.

was a good ways off a trail maybe 50 yards or so and there was some droppings right near it.

Vince,  A buck will rub a tree and gouge it but will not remove bark completely to the ground as shown in the picture.  Porcupines will remove all of the bark and eat the inner layer  to the ground.   If a porcupine did it you will see his teeth marks through the damaged area.