Baiting for deer

Doc

Ok, the Dirt Bag thread pussy-footed all the way around the subject. Let's have at it. Let's see if we can keep this as cordial and civilized as possible, but what are all the different views on the propriety of baiting as a hunting tactic. I suppose CWD has to be talked about, but I am really more interested in how you all think that baiting fits in with your idea of hunting. Yes we did all this a year or two ago, I think, but we have gobs of new members now and maybe even some of the long-time members have had a change of heart in their views.

So what do you think. Is baiting for deer something you would like to get involved with (if it was legalized)?

• Like 1

I'll be totally honest, although I hunt public land and think it would be a total waste to spend time and money baiting, if it was legal and I had the time and property to effectively do it, I would not be against it and would probably participate. I know many say it's not the same as food plots, and I do agree, if I only had a small amount of acreage and food plots weren't an option, why not? does it suck some of the thrill out of the hunt? maybe, but right now I feel the same about a lot of the gadgets and tactics many use.......and I'm willing to bet that many folks who are against it now, myself included, feel that way because we follow the law and know that there are way too many who are getting an unfair advantage by breaking the law.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

realistically what do you think the percentage chances are (increase) if your baiting deer vs non baiting deer on kill percentages maybe 10-15% at most increase, everyone thinks you lay out a huge pile of apples or corn and deer will come.  eventually they will but may hit it after shooting hours, deer are smart animals and rely on there senses 100% of the time and only veer out of that when they are rutting.  people think that throwing a massive pile of apples or corn and deer will instantly flock to your stand?  they know that there is and unknown scent in the area and are more than likely to check eventually.  I really don't see a huge deal in baiting if its done in an ethical way that you feed year round and are not just supplement it during the hunting season because you want to increase your percentages or seeing and or killing deer.  just my 2 sense. 

I would like to be able to bait but don't . If I did , I would have someone tapping me on the shoulder in no time .

Some guys don't see the difference in a pile of bait and a food plot . I would take a pile of corn or apples that would draw deer to a predestined spot over a food plot where they could go anyplace at random any day of the week  . I have seen guys walking out of the store with bags of corn , etc and know that they have to be baiting . Unless it becomes legal , I won't do it .

• Like 2

My assumption is that baiting is only effective if you train the deer by keeping the bait available for prolonged periods. Dropping a bag of corn the first week of the season has little if any effect I suspect.

That said, I would not hunt over effective bait sites for deer. Bear on the other hand ... I would give it go if allowed.

• Like 1

Hunting over bait isn't a cureall. It's just different, not considering legal ramifications.

I don't get alot of joy out of hunting over bait...been there done that. Once in a while I found it interesting, when I was mostly looking to shoot something, not necessarily the biggest thing.

Hey Doc thanks for posting this we just kind of hit the tip of the ice berg with my post.  Baiting is def something that should be brought up because I am sure there are a lot of new hunters on this forum that are prob willing to do just about anything to get that first deer.  I never resorted to baiting and my hard work paid off when I got my first deer after three years of hunting.  I don't believe its necessary.  Especially if it helps to transfer disease and actually has a negative effect on the deer population.  With technology one day they will prob come out with a product that truly brings every animal in the area to it but thank god that day is not today!  Hunting is a privilege and going in and messing with there natural habitat is unimaginable.  I have a tremendous respect for the animal and I find it grows each year with knowledge of the species and their habitat.  Curious to see what everyone else thinks on the matter thanks again for the post!  

• Like 1

Even if it was legal I wouldn't bother actually setting bait out for deer. On the other hand, using 'bait' is a big part of my hunting strategy. Stands of nut and fruit trees, harvested grain fields, and doe bedding areas during the rut are where I put most of my stands. I'll let the farmers and Mother Nature do the work of setting out the bait.

• Like 1

I agree that dumping a pile of bait right before the season really won't increase your odds of harvesting a deer, however, before the feeding ban, we had an electronic feeder set up by the house year round and you could pretty much be guaranteed deer would show up every day like clockwork, so it can be effective if done properly.....and I add this to the discussion, if baiting were to become legal and you had a neighbor who had the time, property and means to grow an effective food plot and you did not, and you saw that having a negative impact on your deer hunting, would you have more of an inclination to bait?

I don't care to bait anything other than the coyotes. I like to explore all season and am always looking for new spots.

I do believe the no baiting law creates more of an even playing field. I also agree that effective bait sites need to be established well before hunting season, but that can be detrimental to the herd if baiting ceases after the season closes. Will yearlings know how to survive the winter without a constant supply of feed? If the bait site is located where it's most convienent for us to plink them then will it also be suited for deer to survive harsh winters?

If baiting were legal I bet we'd be hearing even more moaning & groaning about coyotes because we just laid out a dinner plate of easy pickin deer/turkey/grouse/etc. that were simply there eat the food they've been accustomed to.

• Like 1

I definitely enjoy food plotting. I have seen my deer numbers increase from year to year as well as getting more bucks on the cams. With that being said, I would like to be able to use mineral sites during the off season. I think they would be beneficial in surveying my property as well aiding in the nutrition of the deer herd. Many episodes of Growing Deer TV with Grant Woods speaks to all the benefits.

However, I don't think I would use corn feeders to hunt over. Would I see more deer... Probably. Would I be able to shoot the big 8 because of the corn feeders? I don't think so!!!

I will stick to food plots and using my chainsaw for feed!! I never understood people who go bear hunting and sit over a pile of crap waiting for a hungry bear.

if you ever hunted for bear with any chance of taking one you might understand..........especially if you plant food plots with more or less the same intention.

I can see why someone would view my comment regarding bear as inconsistent with my view of baiting for deer. I guess my view changes on bear because I am not sure its realistic to target bear in most of ny without baiting. I understood that most bear taken in ny are by chance when a hunter is pursuing deer. I suppose there are some pockets of ny where this may not be the case.

I think it just diminishes the hunt. More lost woodmenship. The next generation of hunters will know even less about the conservation of the wild.

Well said +1

Put the time and effort into learning the property that you hunt, and it's not all that difficult to harvest a deer .. Baiting is like most of today's society , that doesn't understand what a honest hunt or day of work is ..

• Like 2

Not only do I think baiting should be legal, I believe it should be MANDATORY,lol! :swoon:

Ok, maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but...

Let's be honest here. If baiting were legal, there would be a bait pile in every plot within shooting range of most plotters stands.

Baiting doesnt make hunting any more of a sure thing than hunting over any other food source. Deer will still pattern you if you hunt it wrong, and only visit the bait site at night.

Im not against it if its legal. Would i do it if it was? Probably sometimes, but i would rather use it for trail cam sites and mineral supplements than hunting sites. I would still do my food plots, as i believe they are more of a benefit to the deer than a pile of "candy".

Well said +1

Put the time and effort into learning the property that you hunt, and it's not all that difficult to harvest a deer .. Baiting is like most of today's society , that doesn't understand what a honest hunt or day of work is ..

right up there with trail cameras and the other crap that takes the guess work out of hunting.....would people not hunt if there wasn't a "booner" with nice G2's in their area? makes me want to puke when I hear that nonsense.

right up there with trail cameras and the other crap that takes the guess work out of hunting.....would people not hunt if there wasn't a "booner" with nice G2's in their area? makes me want to puke when I hear that nonsense.

Really? Trail cams the all the guess work out? I know LOTS of guys that run them and dont harvest deer, and many more that run them and never harvest a buck they get pics of.

To not want to use something is one thing, but to demonize it because you choose not to use it just makes you sound kind of foolish.

• Like 1

Really? Trail cams the all the guess work out? I know LOTS of guys that run them and dont harvest deer, and many more that run them and never harvest a buck they get pics of.

To not want to use something is one thing, but to demonize it because you choose not to use it just makes you sound kind of foolish.

how many guys don't hunt areas because their trail cameras don't show decent deer? I'm willing to bet that's why many put them out......just my opinion, no different then those who see food plots the same as baiting...if that thought makes me foolish then so be it.