How old is your Bow?

vincy

So from time to time I like to go on Archerytalk’s forum and read their bowhunting threads. I regularly read and see guys own multiple $800+ bows setups and or buying a new bow every year and selling the old one. It’s amazing to see how active the classifieds section is!

So, is this a realistic representation of the bowhunting community? Because I’m starting to feel a little self conscious that this will be my 6th season with the same bow….

2009 GT500 - but I will be the first to admit, I have owned more bows than any man should over the last 3 years.  I am weaning myself off of that addiction, including a self imposed ban from the AT classifieds.  In the end, most modern bows will get the job done and done well. 

I can tell you that this 5 year old GT is also as nice as any of the newer bows I owned.  I do have a new bow on order, but the new plan is to stick with these two for several years at least.  Always nice to have a back up. 

• Like 1

I guess by most people's standards, my bow is getting close to being called an oldie-but-goody. 1999 Mathews MQ-32. My arrows are way older than that (Autumn orange Easton aluminum XX-75).

It's not broke. It kills deer very dead. And keeps lowering my average venison $/pound costs every year I keep from replacing perfectly good equipment.....lol. Actually I was pretty slow coming to the realization that success or failure is more a function of the archer rather than his equipment. I remember that the most prolific deer-killing bow was my old Bear Whitetail Hunter from back in the 60's. Those old epoxy, indestructible limbs and that incredibly slow performance still has the best record of kill of any of the 13 bows hanging on the rack downstairs. And that includes the 5 that I have sold or given away over the years. Yeah, I had my "spend like crazy" years too.

• Like 1

There has only been 2 major advances in modern bowhunting.  First bows were the old school "long bow" with almost no letoff (like a Bear).  The first major advancement was the compound bow.  This was obviously huge for hunting with the size reduction and letoff.  The second major advancement is the current (last 5 or 6 years) modern compound bows.  With advanced technology they have gotten faster, lighter and even more compact.

I only write that (not to start a controversy over the history of the bow because I am sure you are going to get all the know-it-alls in here starting a pissing contest), but because the current bows on the market (past few years) are plenty light enough, plenty small enough and plenty fast enough.  Period.

There isn't a damn thing they can change on a bow every year to justify buying a new one.  They advertise 360 fps vs 340 fps....yeah?  and?  340 is wicked fast enough.  They advertise 5 lbs vs 5.6 lbs?  yeah?  and?  etc. etc.

don't fall into the "advertising trap" of these manufactures.  Unless you have a reason to change, don't.  If it shoots straight and kills you a deer every year....thats all that matters.

And, fyi, I bought a new Bear Anarchy 2 years ago.  Absolutely love it (and first bow I have bought since the super old Bear mentioined above).  I will put my "old" 2-year old Anarchy against ANY bow that has come out since then!!

• Like 3

new Bow is less then a year old (2013 Mathews ZXT)

Old bow was 3 years old (2011 bought in 2010 Hoyt RampageXT)  

only got rid of the Hoyt due to a shoulder injury otherwise I would still have it & still miss it But I do love the smooth draw of the ZXT& will keep this for a long time hopefully

Beachpeaz I agree 100%

Edited by gfdeputy2

I bought a Matthews Chill last year as a gift to myself for turning 30, before that I had a PSE start up set up that I bought when I wanted to see what bow hunting was all about. That bow lasted 10 years and did its job. I plan on having my Matthews for longer than the PSE. I like using the same bow year after year, I feel more comfortable in my abilities and as members said earlier technology does not change to much year after year to justify the expenditure of buying a new one.

My Hoyt Rampage XT is a 2011 model.  They've come out with several other models in the last few years. Honestly i don't see any additional performance/features that warrant laying out 1500-2000 on a new one. Now if they come out with something game changing that my current bow cant do, maybe that's a different story. Any major manufacturers compounds from the last 6-7 years have very similar performance.  

At the end of the day though, there isnt a perfect bow, just a bow thats near perfect for that person 

• Like 1

I've been bow hunting for 40 years.  Started out with a recurve, went to a Browning compound that must be 35 years old now and still have, bought an Onieda Phantom about 15- 20 years ago and that is the bow I use most of the time.

I also have an old Colt manufactured recurve ( or at least it says Colt Firearms Mfg on it, but was most likely made by some other firm ) that is in mint condition and shoots very well.  I use it a lot each season when I'm feeling old school.

I could buy any new bow I wanted, but once I get good with a bow, I hate to switch and start all over again with a new one.  I know my old bows like I know the back of my hand, and that gives me great confidence.  Unless a bow breaks or starts acting really weird, I just keep using it year after year.

This is the main reason I have had a hard time warming up to bowhunting over the years.  It seems to be all about equipment, and soon it starts coming out of ones ears.  The manufacturers try to sucker people into believing that a new bow will be more effective, yet none will kill any better than the other.  I'll stick to rifle hunting.  My favorite rifle is a 1985 Remington 700, which is practically identical to a Remington 700 sold today, maybe even better.  It's simple, it works, it's rugged and NO need to be told that a newer model will be more effective.  If you suck as a hunter, equipment means very little anyway.

Except for my pistols... I don't think I own a hunting weapon newer than 40 years old.. I have a couple of my father's shotgun's that are 50-60 years old... my recurves are an older Martin and an even older Bear... 50 year old Winchester 30-30, my Hawken ML and Rem 870 early 1970's... Wow.. I need to buy a new gun!!