dealing with smell of gut shot

fisher2

Zag, why would I be kidding if you take off the hind and front quarters and pull out the back straps you have salvaged a good portion of the meat. Also you got rid of any risk of eating anything contaminated from the guts. You also don't have to deal with the smell and mess of a gut shot deer. It's also perfectly legal..... So why dont you explain to me what your problem is with what I said!

WTH is Vaseline going to do for you? I think you mean Vicks Vaporub (sp).

:)

Same as putting cotton in your nose, glob of Vaseline in each nostril and no more breathing through your nose. I've done the Vicks treatment too. Damn tenant houses and old sewer systems.

Hunting and Vaseline = weird

+1

I could just see myself; loading up each barrel with Vaseline then I get a runny nose while gutting the deer.  Dragging my arm across my nose to alleviate the annoyance.  I then stop at the 7/11 for a pack of Marlboro reds (except I don't smoke cigs) and the clerk is looking at me fishy with all this Vaseline up & down my arm and a funky odor following me from the guts............................uggh.

:D

+1

I could just see myself; loading up each barrel with Vaseline then I get a runny nose while gutting the deer. Dragging my arm across my nose to alleviate the annoyance. I then stop at the 7/11 for a pack of Marlboro reds (except I don't smoke cigs) and the clerk is looking at me fishy with all this Vaseline up & down my arm and a funky odor following me from the guts............................uggh.

:D

hahahahahaha ok, Vicks it is then. Better yet, go for the safer shot placement.
  • Like 1

Vicks in the nose,  a pair of rubber gloves, then wash out the body cavity with cold running water and you should be ok. I had one buck that was shot at last light and could not find till the next mid day, it took all to gut it due to it had been hot. But again it what you got to do, We had no loss of meat. But washing out the deer helped a lot, then we cut up the deer the same afternoon and that helped as well.