leaking gas tank fix?

Zem18

I have a crappy 97 Ford Explorer that we were planning to get rid of next year. The damn thing started leaking gas this week. I bought some of that permatex putty patch and it said it would stick when wet too. I cleaned the rusty tank best I could and used vinegar as a degreaser (saw it on YouTube) Then I kneaded the putty to mix in the hardener and wiped one last time then applied to the leak. Waited 30 minutes and reapplied more around the edges. Mowed the lawn and went back to check and the whole thing fell off, soaking wet with gas.

Has anyone had any luck with this permatex putty stuff or have you used anything else that actually works? I may have to drop the tank and drain it but was hoping to skip that step. Let me know what works, if anything. Thanks.

Edited by Zemmer18

I've used JB water weld Putty to fix my grandfathers leaking hot water tank. Surface preparation is definitely more important than anything. I used a wire brush and emery cloth to clean up the surface then saturated it with rubbing alcohol to clean it the best i could. He had tried it without cleaning it good and it didn't hold. My job has held up for 6 months after I spent half an hour prepping the surface before applying putty.

If it's just a little hole you can cut a piece of rubber and drill an oversized screw through it and the tank.

If it makes you feel any you can putty over that, but that shouldn't be necessary. :)

Had to do that to a loaner when I backed over a piece of rebar on a job site once. Pretty sure that wont pass your next inspection though,lol

It seems to be seeping out in two small areas next to each other. I brushed it with a brass brush but it still has rust around it and gas seeping out so not sure what else to do. It isn't an actual hole so the screw trick would most likely fail for this issue and potentially cause more issues. I thought about the junkyard but they puncture the tanks to drain them so no go there. $130 for a new tank so I may just bite the bullet.

You could try some Loctite PL premium polyurethane construction adhesive. I'd spread an initial filler layer, let it set up, then apply a larger & thicker coat. Once that cures you can hit the whole tank with a couple cans of flex seal to prevent other spots from rusting-through.

Well I am not fixing it in the garage thankfully as it stinks to high heck. The metal is weak on the flat bottom of the tank so I would have to drop it and drain it to get it dry. There is less than 5 gallons in it now so it shouldn't be too bad. I was wondering about that flex seal stuff and may try it before dropping the tank. Also checked out car-part.com and they have used tanks with no holes (unlike the yards around here) for $75 to $80. Going to try Predate's method first, and then maybe spring for the used tank just to be safe as I do take the kids around in it during the winter.

You could probably find a new tank for about 100 bucks , unfortunatley the straps probably need to be replaced as well , once you start moving the tank around to drop it you will likey find the tubes on the sending unit are rotted and will break off and if you have my kind luck ,the fuel lines will be too rotted to just put a new sending unit in.

Jeremy - I do have your luck and I am skeptical at the moment so I want to exhaust other options before this turns into a $200 or more job replacing more and more parts. I couldn't find a brand new replacement tank for less than $180 so that is out.

I appreciate all the suggestions everyone. Ill update how it turns out but won't be til the end of the week.