Exiting Stands

NYBuckHunter27

I have a stand over looking a clover and brassica plot, the problem with this stand is entering and exiting. Exiting in the afternoon is the biggest issue, typically there are still deer in the field when it is time to climb down. In the past we have had someone drive a fourwheeler into the area to scare the deer off instead of having the deer see and hear the guy exiting the stand.

I was wondering if anyone used any other kind of methods for exiting? I was thinking of using a air horn, this way the deer would just be associated with the nose and not the hunter. but my concern is they will try to locate the nose which would be coming from the hunter in the tree-stand. Any thoughts guys? thanks!

Thats one of the issues hunting field edges. Once in a while you can get into a setup where you can access and exit safely. Otherwise, the coyote yip, getting a partner to drive up, and taking your chance is all you can do. Getting away from field edges is a better way to hunt for thr most part. Take your shot at a field edge set once in a while but dont hunt right over the food source daily and expect them not to know about it.

• Like 2

at the edge of the plot almost under your stand you can plant something like Frigid Forage Plot Screen or Egyptian wheat.  big burlap camo sheet works too but i prefer more natural alternatives.  windy days tend to make the burlap flap a lot which sometimes can make a deer alert and not relaxed.  it'll grow to 7 foot or so which will hide you from view getting down.  then when you setup pegs or climbing sticks have them wrap around to the back of the tree.  having someone driving into the plot works but if you do it too often it conditions the deer to just show up later.

...ditches or creeks behind your stand work well to help you drop down out of view.  down sloping ravines and ridges behind the stand work even better for a couple reasons; minimal deer movement happens behind you and in the calmer evening the thermals will pull your scent down over the back side away from the deer/plot.

• Like 1

i would continue the drive up by a friend, but vary the times,, you may have to wait an extra hour after dark, not starting a sunset debate but its quite a while before its dark. you may run into legalities if a gamewarden sees you in a stand after sunset....even if your waiting for a ride

There is an underlying read on why allot of us like to hunt alone here. To each their own, just sayin.

i'm afraid i don't really follow you. i believe hunting alone would make the situation more hindered in this example. Not too mention a safety issue and the fact that many families spend quality time together hunting...